• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

    We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

    Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Standard Golf club distance measurement

OP
S

sion126

Well-Known Member
Jun 18, 2005
20
0
  • Thread Starter
  • Thread starter
  • #31
Purple dot

This could account for part of it as well. It would appear that your 4iron may be longer than your other clubs?

In club variations, loft of the club is about 80% responsible for the gap. The other 20% is based on a 1/2" increment between clubs. You can do the math for 2 1/2" difference. Plus I would only imagine it would make them harder to hit by going to a short club after a 4i?. I am no clubfitter but 2 1/2" seems really extreme unless your wrists are a long way from the floor. What is your wrist to floor measurement? Although your swing has to do with it as well.

Also, you can still be delofting the club regardless of ball position, not only by just having you hands further forward but making altercation in your swings.

I actually can't help but go back to the 2 1/2" addition. If you have a club that is 2 1/2" to long for you, the only way to make up for this with a normal swing and still make solid contact would be to deloft the club or move the ball further away from you with a really flat lie on the irons. ... or of course take a divot that is 2 1/2" under the ground. What color dot are the G5's, what are the lie angles?

5 Degrees, they are also only plus 2 inches, same as my new MX200's. I thought they were longer but I was mistaken. Purple dot pings.
 
OP
S

sion126

Well-Known Member
Jun 18, 2005
20
0
  • Thread Starter
  • Thread starter
  • #32
Silly me

Set up too close to the ball. Much better now.
 

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
12,405
8
First principles, Clarice. Read Marcus Aurelius. Of each particular thing ask: What is it in itself? What is its nature?
 
OP
S

sion126

Well-Known Member
Jun 18, 2005
20
0
  • Thread Starter
  • Thread starter
  • #37
I believe the distances for sure.

All he is doing is REALLY delofting his clubs. Delofting your irons is the "correct" way to hit the irons. You strike the ball first, then the ground, with your hands leading the clubhead through impact.

The "problem" he is having is that he is varying his delofting per iron. If you kept a "constant deloft" upon contact, your irons would have a semi-equal spacing. Since your 4, 5, and 6 all go the same distance, and assuming they have different lofts (you may want to get that checked), you are simply delofting the 6 more than you are delofting the 4. Shorter clubs are easier to deloft.

This also explains why he hits his driver so badly. You do not want to deloft the driver. A negative Angle of Attack with a driver is counter-productive.

The longest drivers in the world use low loft with a very positive angle of attack.

If you are unwilling to change your swing, at least your driver swing, you will definitely need to get a driver with more loft to make up for your delofted, negative AofA swing.

It is GREAT that you are hitting down on the ball and with your hands forward at impact. That is correct. Just try not to do it "as much" with your lower lofted irons and you'll start seeing some equal yardage spacing.

Good advice, I did not wish to change my swing for the driver, so I went looking for a driver that would fit my swing and I found it in a most peculiar way.

My local golf store was trying to get rid of the current Nickent Tour Pro drivers and Metal wood 4 series stuff to make way for the new stuff. Paid $300 for the three clubs. I think it was a pretty sweet deal...I was looking for a new 60 degree wedge when I noticed them in the crowd...

This driver is spectacular I now drive 258 yards average with this thing and my new 3 and 4 Ironwood hybrids are nothing short of amazing. in fact I can sometimes hit the three 270 yards and the 4 is good for 210 plus and all go straight.....

I am a real happy camper these days....:idhitit:
 

twofast2s

Well-Known Member
Dec 30, 2006
1,292
2
The numbers in this thread make my brain feel funny.

me too...

it seems like the original poster is wacking at the ball, no hold back. i'd say it's the swing, not the clubs, more so obviously because odd distances from other clubs. unless you did some funky things w/ the loft or change the length differently. like if you deloft your 8irons to ~27* then the club is more like 4iron. just have the number 8 written on it.

190yd 8 iron shot is possible, but i doubt it's really 190yds. probably a case of thinned shot that just rolled 30yds? :ugly25:
go get your swing checked out, and once you have sound/consistant swing mechanics, all the distance will straighten out.
 

Latest posts

Top