• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Start to finish....Your pre-shot routine.

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
Here is mine:

Stand behind the ball and assess the situation.

Settle on where I want to end up and what shape and trajectory I want.

I take a few waggles or practice swings to stay loose.

Still standing behind the ball I pick the line to my target and find a blade of grass or some other tiny mark or debri I can aim at 1 to 3 feet in front of the ball.

Commit to the shot.

Step up to the ball.

I now align the club to that blade of grass I chose much like setting up for a short putt.

Now I take my stance, left foot first, paying careful attention to alignment along my target line.

I take one last look at the target in the distance.

Take full breath and exhale.

Now I focus entirely on that blade of grass as I begin my takeaway strait back and to a full coil and I let it rip.

Since going to this routine and sticking to it my overall accuracy and greens in regulation has improved dramatically to the point that I expect to be close to scratch real soon. Up until recently I had no real routine and my whole focus was on the final target. Everything was by feel. Since I started picking a target just in front of the ball and committing to it my swing has become far more grooved because my takeaway and club path to impact are now much more consistant.

How do you guys do it?

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
Assess the situation, what shot I want to hit, etc, as I walk to the ball. When I get to the ball I pick a specific target like a tree or what not to cut or draw the ball off of. One very fluid practice swing, mostly to feel the shot I'm about to hit. Take stance, swing away.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Here is mine:

Stand behind the ball and assess the situation.

Settle on where I want to end up and what shape and trajectory I want.

I take a few waggles or practice swings to stay loose.

Still standing behind the ball I pick the line to my target and find a blade of grass or some other tiny mark or debri I can aim at 1 to 3 feet in front of the ball.

Commit to the shot.

Step up to the ball.

I now align the club to that blade of grass I chose much like setting up for a short putt.

Now I take my stance, left foot first, paying careful attention to alignment along my target line.

I take one last look at the target in the distance.

Take full breath and exhale.

Now I focus entirely on that blade of grass as I begin my takeaway strait back and to a full coil and I let it rip.

Since going to this routine and sticking to it my overall accuracy and greens in regulation has improved dramatically to the point that I expect to be close to scratch real soon. Up until recently I had no real routine and my whole focus was on the final target. Everything was by feel. Since I started picking a target just in front of the ball and committing to it my swing has become far more grooved because my takeaway and club path to impact are now much more consistant.

How do you guys do it?

Sounds like a great pre-shot routine... if it works for you. (Just don't let me get behind your group if everyone takes this much time getting ready to hit!)

Mine is a little simpler. Find your target from behind the ball. Step to the left side of the ball. Swing and advance ball to target. In other words... Miss it quick!! Sometimes I do waggle once to relieve any tension. No practice swings. No excessive waggles or body contortions.

Have seen way too many find paralysis through over-analysis. A consistent pre-shot routine is important. So it pace of play. Something that promotes both is the end result all players should be seeking.

OP
F

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
Sounds like a great pre-shot routine... if it works for you. (Just don't let me get behind your group if everyone takes this much time getting ready to hit!)

I am one of the fastest players you will encounter on the course. That whole routine takes about 20 seconds at most. Also remember I am playing fairways and greens, not scattering it all over.

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
I am one of the fastest players you will encounter on the course. That whole routine takes about 20 seconds at most. Also remember I am playing fairways and greens, not scattering it all over.

Playing fairways and greens has nothing to do with playing at a reasonable pace (see PGA Tour)... :laugh:

I have played with plenty of players that spray it all over and move right along.

It's really all about not wasting time and playing "ready golf". When it's your turn to hit, hit it!

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I actually don't take practice swings very much anymore. One thing I do though. I taked my grip and then hold the club out in front of me. I look down my grip to the leading edge. I then do not regrip the club at all. I get over the ball and do one "practice" takeaway to feel the club starting back in one piece. Sometimes I do that twice if the 1st doesn't feel right. Oh, and I also aim the clubface, then step into my setup. So, I've tried to cover my fundamentals with my preshot, grip, alignment, stance, posture along with my takeaway.

I'm going to work on getting it even more consistant this year, with putting as well. I find that I get thrown off when I have to wait to hit. That's something I want to work into the routine as well. I think maybe I'll do something like set the club down or just not take it out of my bag till it's time to hit. I really get screwed up when I take a bunch of practice swings... it's like wait and then hurry up, I really play poorly when I do this.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Stand behind ball, access the situation. Pull on back tab on glove, pat down. Stand over ball, look at target, take one practice swing. Look at target while waggling club 3 times, look at ball on last waggle and pull trigger. Kinda strange since I havn't played in a while and it is more instinct, but I don't really know exactly when I look back at the ball, but I know if it is not at the right time I am uncomfortable. I think it is right when I am bringing the club forward on the last one.

Putting is different. I do no practice stroke. Put left hand just above knee while taking stance and aligning club with right hand and align thumb on same spot of grip. Place left hand and overlap left forefinger over right pinky. Stare down target for a second. I then actually then bring wrists to proper comfortable position which actually raisse the toe of the club, but is not really noticable to me and I live with that part no matter how wrong it may be. I then stare at the back of the ball and the face of the club while determining my speed, which tacks a few seconds. The beginning of the stroke is then almost a natural process I would find hard to explain. There is nothing that actually triggers the start as it is more just a matter of confidence that the necessary speed is ingrained.

My pitching is like the normal stroke, where I may take 1-3 practice strokes till I am comfortable. My chipping is more a combination, between full shot and putting and do take 1 practice stroke.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country

Perhaps you should coach some of the PGA players then? Obviously a person of your immense skills could show them the error of their ways?

Dannykos

Sep 20, 2006
mine's a bit hit and miss to be honest, and right now i'm also suffering from the Sergio's. I just can't seem to settle over the ball, and find myself doing lots of micro-knee-flexes, trying to settle, and just generally not feeling comfortable. Only a couple of months ago i was alot like most of you, visualise / target line / step in / align / etc.... but now it's all gone to hell!!!

I need a shrink :shocked:

OP
F

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
Perhaps you should coach some of the PGA players then? Obviously a person of your immense skills could show them the error of their ways?

Is that really necessary.:hunter: I hope you feel better about yourself now.:horse:

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Is that really necessary.:hunter: I hope you feel better about yourself now.:horse:

I have read a number of your posts & they always point out how good you are. That's simply an observation, if I am wrong then I apologize.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
You are wrong. Apology accepted.

With any ball you give me I'm probably going to out-drive 99% of golfers on distance. I don't really care about that....I just want a ball that I can stop on the green.

I see the shot before I hit it. I also prefer to shape my iron shots. I am pretty good at hitting targets by feel.

I am a single digit handicap. I am very long and accurate off the Tee and I usually have a 7 Iron or less for approach shots.

I have the long game of a tour player and the short game of Ray Charels (just kidding but if I had a good short game and putting I would easily be scratch)

Sorry, but there is no good way to shape shots with a hybrid and nail yardages with a hybrid like I can with a 3 iron.

<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Since you mention rough its safe to say I could get a 60* under it and get it to go wherever

OP
F

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
Sorry you feel so inadequate when you read my posts. I can tell it really bothers you.

Each one of those things is an accurate description of my game. Why does it bother you so????

Get over it, you seem really petty here.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
With any ball you give me I'm probably going to out-drive 99% of golfers on distance. I don't really care about that....I just want a ball that I can stop on the green.

I see the shot before I hit it. I also prefer to shape my iron shots. I am pretty good at hitting targets by feel.

I am a single digit handicap. I am very long and accurate off the Tee and I usually have a 7 Iron or less for approach shots.

I have the long game of a tour player and the short game of Ray Charels (just kidding but if I had a good short game and putting I would easily be scratch)

Sorry, but there is no good way to shape shots with a hybrid and nail yardages with a hybrid like I can with a 3 iron.

<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Since you mention rough its safe to say I could get a 60* under it and get it to go wherever

Oh man. That was gold. :biglol:

Staff online

Members online