• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Start to finish....Your pre-shot routine.

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
I don't really think anybody except Wi was insulting you. Everything else you brought upon yourself IMO. Why didn't you just ignore it in the first place? PM's maybe? Or perhaps the best option, ignore list. Have a good one. I can guarantee this thread will get locked...

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
So are you the person mentioned earlier that is the king of hyjacking threads??? As mentioned above, everyone had moved on then you have to chime in your two cents. You wrote a book there.....only problem is I don't think anyone read beyond the second sentance. Just a bunch of bla bla bla bla.........
Is this your way of defending your comments?
fisher - via unsolicited PM said:
Re: Fuuuuuck You!!!!!!
Pompus Ass!!!!!!
Seems your PM's demonstrate as much intelligence and thought as the defense for your post.

Get a life. If you can't defend your comments outside of crap like this, then you are likely in the wrong place. Maybe your golfing ability will influence your peers to overlook this kind of childish behavior, but the people on here are not that shallow.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
Truth be told this thread has had at least a couple opportunities to right itself. I probably should've stayed on the outside on this one, but here it is. If this happened to my thread i'd be upset as well. All different people have different temperments and so Fish doesn't want to go quietly. But there are rules! True. The rules have been being broke ever since Rock tried to stop this. At this point locking the thread would just erk everyone even more. I for one would like to see this thread started over because I need to get a routine down.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
I'm a better golfer than all of you because my preshot routine is posting on this forum.

I need to get a routine down.

I think your routine just may be the best ever.

Aside from using my driver I don't have a routine, just pick out a club, adjust my grip & hit the ball. Only thing close to a routine is I never ever take any practice swings.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
Thank you WI for restarting the thread on a serious note. I don't take any practice swings either. I aim clubface & get grip, make sure my feet are aligned right, a couple of half takeaways, say to myself "white ball before green", and off we go.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Here is mine, stand behind the ball and envision the shot I want to make. Still behind the ball I'll take a practice swing. Step up to the ball, waggle the club 2 times, set it behind the ball, and let her rip.

Then cuss like heck. :emot-ange

Dannykos

Sep 20, 2006
if anyone saw my post on page 1 before this went AWOL - some advice would be great!

thx

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Here is mine, stand behind the ball and envision the shot I want to make. Still behind the ball I'll take a practice swing. Step up to the ball, waggle the club 2 times, set it behind the ball, and let her rip.

Then cuss like heck. :emot-ange

My routine as well but I try not to cuss.
awww.pushupstairs.com_images_emoticon_blehnet_biggrinking.gif

atom

Mar 2, 2008
1) the direction

2) consider the wind

3) practice 1 swing casually

4) step up with right foot and club

5) take stance lowering right shoulder

6) tilt spine (left hip 60 degrees higher)

7) hit the ball

i try to keep all these in 10 seconds... or below, no point thinking too much, it'll kill me if i do.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
if anyone saw my post on page 1 before this went AWOL - some advice would be great!

thx
What books have you read?

Two I always go back to when my game is in trouble are Hogan's - Five Fundamentals and Rotellas Golf is not a game of perfect. They can go hand in hand on the course to a large degree. Having read both I try and find a happy median between the two when my game goes South and I don't feel comfortable over the ball. By happy median I try and incorporate something in my pre-shot routine and not a swing thought.

Probably the best for me and was specifically for something similar to what you mention. It is actual one of those parts of my pre-shot routine that is again "Fundamental" and is so ingrained I simply forgot. It is Hogans advice to have the "knees point in" after I take my stance. Again, once I do so and lock them in position, my lower body is stablized. How you fit it in is up to you, but you could possibly also use that as a trigger. I think developing some sort of mental trigger is very important, in letting you know it is time to clear your head and start your swing.

For example, if I feel uncomfortable ever in my upper body, I concentrate on having my elbows point at my hip-bone. Not sure if it will work for you, but find a simple fundamental that you know is precise and correct, and concentrate on it and only it. It is not part of your swing so it will also help in clearing your mind when you start your swing. Based on what you mention about your knees flexes, I can't help but think if your knees are pointing in you will not be able to do that as much.

If you haven't already, buy Hogan and Rotella book. I try and find the part of Hogans book that are not part of the actually swing to incorporate not only into my preshot routine, but as my only thoughts I am allowed. I figure with assuring proper fundamentals as well as mental preperation the rest should fall into place.

Edit 1 - If you don't yet have Hogans book, and don't know what I mean by pointing the knees in, after you have your stance and setup, basically it is the feeling to press your knees together (comfortably, not with tension) without giving up your footing and such. In doing so you will lock your lower body in place.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Whatever. You all should be proud of yourselves. Good night.

You should be proud of yourself for continuing to keep at this. I told you that walking away makes you the bigger man. Going off the handle and not expecting backlash was pretty naive.

I'm now issuing a warning for everyone - the next reference other than pre -shot routine gets 2 weeks in the tank - no exceptions.

Unless it's me. :D

Seriously, on track please and thank you.

R35

Dannykos

Sep 20, 2006
What books have you read?

Two I always go back to when my game is in trouble are Hogan's - Five Fundamentals and Rotellas Golf is not a game of perfect. They can go hand in hand on the course to a large degree. Having read both I try and find a happy median between the two when my game goes South and I don't feel comfortable over the ball. By happy median I try and incorporate something in my pre-shot routine and not a swing thought.

Probably the best for me and was specifically for something similar to what you mention. It is actual one of those parts of my pre-shot routine that is again "Fundamental" and is so ingrained I simply forgot. It is Hogans advice to have the "knees point in" after I take my stance. Again, once I do so and lock them in position, my lower body is stablized. How you fit it in is up to you, but you could possibly also use that as a trigger. I think developing some sort of mental trigger is very important, in letting you know it is time to clear your head and start your swing.

For example, if I feel uncomfortable ever in my upper body, I concentrate on having my elbows point at my hip-bone. Not sure if it will work for you, but find a simple fundamental that you know is precise and correct, and concentrate on it and only it. It is not part of your swing so it will also help in clearing your mind when you start your swing. Based on what you mention about your knees flexes, I can't help but think if your knees are pointing in you will not be able to do that as much.

If you haven't already, buy Hogan and Rotella book. I try and find the part of Hogans book that are not part of the actually swing to incorporate not only into my preshot routine, but as my only thoughts I am allowed. I figure with assuring proper fundamentals as well as mental preperation the rest should fall into place.

Edit 1 - If you don't yet have Hogans book, and don't know what I mean by pointing the knees in, after you have your stance and setup, basically it is the feeling to press your knees together (comfortably, not with tension) without giving up your footing and such. In doing so you will lock your lower body in place.

thanks for that - I haven't read those books yet, will try and find a copy. Today on the range I was trying out getting mostly settled over the ball (about 4-5 seconds) and then counting out loud "one, two, three" - and beginning the take-away on "three". It seemed to work to some degree, I was managing to actually take the club back, and make a shot (not a great shot most of the time!).

I think I have a mental block over something - not sure where it's come from - as only a couple of months ago, it was basically point and shoot, with no real thought at all.

Anyhow - game is in the crapper right now, got the L5V off Paul (MG) and am struggling with that, along with everything else! :)

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
My pre-shot routine with a driver:

1) Swing a couple times.

2) Step up to the ball.

3) Feet together, find a spot and do action of using club for direction on my hips.

4) Spread feet, take grip at the same time.

5) Look ahead one last time.

6) Ensure I feel comfortable

7) Hit shot

Normally this doesn't take me long, sometimes it does when I don't feel comfortable. Just the way I do. Pretty similar in each of my other shots, except short wedge shots.

rolltherock

Dec 9, 2008
Whatever works for you.....routines are very individual.

I find simplicity and brevity to be the key for me. I take no practice swings on full shots, but do on chips and bump and runs.

1. Pick intermediate target just in front of ball. My target is always the middle of the green. I will open or close stance if I'm close enough to go pin hunting, but getting the ball putting is my key as that is my strength. I feel distance control is much more important than dispersion for me. If you are hitting it the right distance then your dispersion can't be too awfully bad.

2. Grip club and step into position checking foot alignment. This is where I will drop either the left of right foot back if I'm close enough to fire at a good pin.

3. Short waggle to relieve any tension, I don't ground the club.

4. Pull the trigger. I use a dorky tempo mantra in my head. I say the number '17' slowly....'sevennnnn.....teeeeeen'. Seven to the top.....teen starts the downswing.

The whole thing takes about 6 seconds from the time I pick my target to pulling the trigger. Might be too fast for some, but like I said I think it's all about comfort for the person swingin the stick.

🔥 Latest posts