• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Starter Etiquette

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Three pages and there hasn't been one single word about Tiger? :D

Tiger shot 79 at some invitational in Ireland, is this the beginning of the end? LOL!

On another note, it's easy to play a round in 4 somes in under 4 hrs without rushing. As Augster said it's almost easier to do when you're walking. Everybody hits and then walks to their ball instead of taking a cart to one, parking, grabbing a club and driving to the next one. Obviously it's easier to do if everybody is playing decent but still possible.

I had never given a thought to calling and booking a time for 4 when there were only 2 of us playing. I guess everybody finds a way that works for them, but for me personally I would feel like I was lying or cheating somehow. That's just me though.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
In some way I do agree to the fact about Handicap pairing for one reason: I find the one main reason for slow play is the fact some take 10 strokes to get to the green and that means ten "waitings" for a shot. Usually those shots are way out of bounds so it takes much more time to look for the ball, align correctly to the cart path, take the movable roots away and scare the alligator from the ball, etc. As well, if we um up the fact some of these people are so "conservative" and "truth to the golf tradition", they won't play a "play when ready" match but wait for the guy behind the wheat field to hit it twenty times until the ball is in front of them to actually hit theirs. Playing with people who aren't usually four-five putters makes the game flow easily. Usually these five putters are the type which analyse a 3 feet putt for 5 minutes in Camilo Villega's style, and take two more minutes ring to stand up after maintaining the spider-man position for so long, just to miss it by two feet EVERY TIME.

It is possible to finish fast without rushing, but your whole foursome has to be in pace, not hitting too many strokes, and not over-analyzing putts the are going to miss anyway.

dbwood

Dec 11, 2008
Wow, this thread has legs. I'll throw in my 2 cents. The starter couldn't possibly know the skill level of the players at a muni/public course, but that's already been settled.
I usually play 1 of the 4 munis in my town and I'm known by name to many of the employees. I always book a foursome because I genuinely don't know who will be able to get away from work and play with me. The employees know that.
I can only remember 3 times in the last 2 years being put with another player who was annoying. Two times it was the same guy and the starter didn't even pair us up, we invited him. It was slow, he was a single, we had a 3-some, we were waiting together, it was the manly thing to do, he was still a jerk.

twogreen

Aug 7, 2006
Playing with these two definatly ruined our visit to the course. Particularly the teenaged son who after his first blow up hole completely lost it. It was painful to watch as he mis-hit ball after ball and then mope his way around in slow motion. The father just plain couldn't hit the ball and spent a good 45 minutes of our round looking hor balls in the fesque.

Wow, I'm sure sorry that you feel this way. We certainly enjoyed playing with you guys. As a matter of fact, my son made a comment that we should try to play with better golfers more often, since it really seemed to help his game. :wink:

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Wow, I'm sure sorry that you feel this way. We certainly enjoyed playing with you guys. As a matter of fact, my son made a comment that we should try to play with better golfers more often, since it really seemed to help his game. :wink:

You were definitely blessed to be playing with such elite golfers. I'm sure you were pinching yourself :)

goodearth58

Feb 6, 2014
Little River Sc.
Country
United States United States
I'm a new golfer and at 55 I am finding that it's a tough to teach my body this new sport. BUT I will say I am not a slow golfer and do keep up with my low handicap buddies. I'm never embarrassed by my lack of skill and like to play with better golfers to learn course management. I my get 5's, 6's and more sometimes but have never had anyone ask me to hurry up.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
If I were one of the two lousy players and saw you guys playing much better I'd just tell you to go play ahead. I don't want to slow anyone down. Even limp.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
I'm a new golfer and at 55 I am finding that it's a tough to teach my body this new sport. BUT I will say I am not a slow golfer and do keep up with my low handicap buddies. I'm never embarrassed by my lack of skill and like to play with better golfers to learn course management. I my get 5's, 6's and more sometimes but have never had anyone ask me to hurry up.
Welcome to Shottalk!

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
Welcome!

🔥 Latest posts