• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Starter set opinions

Stanters

Trinket King
Aug 13, 2006
A friend of mne is going to take up golf - I am going to the range with him on Monday to show him a few basics and get him booked up for some lessons.

he has asked me about what set to get and I have told him I would have a look around and see what I can get. Usual beginners rules are in my head - no need for long irons, a hybrid, forgiving driver and a sw. I'm also trying to get set, bag and shoes for about £450

I have a shortlist that I am keeping an eye and would appreciate any feedback

Drivers - budget £80

Taylor Made R580xd
Cleveland Launcher (Interested to know what people think of the 460ti)

Hybrid - 21 or 23 degree - Budget £50

Cleveland Halo
Cobra Baffler
Adams Idea

Irons Budget £150

Mizuno MX15, MX17 or MX20
Cobra 3100 I/H

Wedge - Budget £30

Cleveland 588 (found a nice gunmetal one for £30 in decent nick)

Putter £30

I'll just get him to try a few - probably head towards a Ping Anser or a mallett of some sort if he prefers those.

That leaves £50 each for a bag and a pair of shoes and £10 for a few balls.

So what else should I look at and should I try and sqeeze a 4wood or similar in there too?

Thanks in advance

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I don't know how easy it is to get Nickent hybrids there but they are going cheap here right now and are excellent... :D

(Didn't like the Launcher)... R580XD excellent. :D

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
I don't know much about your funny money: that squigly L shit and all has me more confused than Boo Weekley trying to find some fried chicken and sweet iced tea in Scotland, but for a rank beginner, I wouldn't spend more than $200 on sticks.

I like your choice of Mizuno MX irons, but there are older, GOOD models that are going for peanuts on ebay. Heck, I only paid $100 for my MX-11s.

A beginner doesn't need a driver at all, they need a 3 or 4 wood.

A cheap hybrid is a good idea, once they learn how to hit up to a 5 iron.

Globalgolf has a multitude of SWs for $10.

Putters are so personal that I would never try to pick one for anyone but myself.

But, I'm cheap. :)

OP
Stanters

Stanters

Trinket King
Aug 13, 2006
Thanks so far, pretty useful, I'll have a look at some older Mizzy models with a bit of forgiveness. Although you need to bear in mind that clubs in the UK are generally more expensive than in the US. But I take your point :)

Nickent are pretty rare here and would have been on my list but for that reason.

Warbirdlover - what's a good set of older Ping irons?

Sandy

Aug 29, 2006
Look for Cobra 3400s rather than 3100s for a beginner - the 3400s have a wider sole, lighter shafts and are much easier hit for high handicappers than the 3100s.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
I still think that Adams are awesome starter clubs.

🔥 Latest posts