• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Starting Anew

Bamma

Feb 1, 2009
Okay guys, it has been a long. long time since I have played golf. I took nearly 3 years off due to injuries(broken shoulder and medial epicondylitis) and just a lack of interest at the time. I really have the itch to play again, so I went and purchased some clubs to get me started (BB 2006 irons and a BUL5000 driver...still had putter, FW's, wedges). Took them to the range yesterday and was completely lost as to how to swing the clubs. I am basically starting all over like a beginner, which might actually be a good thing.

So, if you were me and going to start building a swing from scratch, how would you go about it? One plane? Two plane? Stack & Tilt? Some other swing system? If it helps with the recommendation, I am an overweight 240 lbs at 6'2". I do lift weights fairly regularly and have increased strength a good bit in my time away from the game.

My first plan is to start with the short shots, work on my putting, chipping, and pitching for a couple weeks before I get started in earnest on my long game. But I figure given a clean slate, I have a shot to get myself off to a good start if pick a swing that is a little easier to master or more suited to my body.

Thanks in advance.

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
I'm loving this guy these days, wish I had him as a local instructor (or at least his videos) when I first started because he breaks things down exactly how my mind needs them to be. Of course different people respond to different teachings so it may not be of any help to you, but he has craploads of videos on the "youtube shawn" page to peruse and see if you like them. I bought the DVD from him just so I could pay him for all the free stuff I learned on his youtube videos.

www.shawnclementgolf.com

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
My advice is dont read a damn thing. Just go out and have fun playing.

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
Hogan's five lessons or whatever it's called and an online lesson package called "The 4 magic moves (based on Hogan) by Andy Brown.

http://golfswingsecretsrevealed.com/index.htm

Hogan's five lessons is a great book and just filled with great information. It's definately a good place to start. He covers all the essentials; grip, posture, the back swing and follow through. Plus all sorts of other stuff in the middle of all that. The 4 magic moves also sounds like a good source of information. Another good source that may help you is looking into "natural golf" which is based on the swing of Moe Norman.

🔥 Latest posts