• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Starting club building

Jimc11

Jun 25, 2009
OK I have thought about it for a while...doing my own clubs..so how did you guys learn...trial and error..internet etc? How much in general to get started doing general things...like shafts/grip replacements...Im a farm boy by birth and pretty handy..can build/fix alot of stuff..never messed with clubs though...I know an awsome club guy (voted top100)..and he has always done my shaft replacements etc...Is it worth getting into? by worth I mean in money saved if you are only gonna do a couple shaft replacements for yourself a year..?

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
If you want to just dabble in, then I wouldn't invest a lot of money into it. I can build clubs from scratch, but haven't splurged and bought a shaft puller yet.

Start off with a couple of wedges, buy everything you need and read some instructions off the net and you'll be fine. I think you can buy wedge building kits from Golfworks for somewhere around $25.00 a piece?

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
It's probably cost me around $150 to get all the basic and intermediate supplies excluding a puller (I just use a heat gun and pull the bastards myself). Searched through the old posts in here to figure out what to do and a bit of trial and error. Whatever you do, dont try a graphite shaft (especially an expensive one) for your first pull.

The problem is that $150 has probably cost me around $1000 in the long run with wanting to try every shaft and head combo on the planet.

Except a G10 with an Aldila NV. Never. EVER.

🔥 Latest posts