• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Steak, Grills, and Heathens

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
So this thread is born out of the chat on the forums page.

There's a few heathens here that like to DESTROY a good steak. (all in good fun guys...but seriously...do this!)

I want you burnt steak guys to do something for me, do the following and eat it with an open mind. If it doesn't taste better than your leather, i'll quit bothering you...well, no, I won't, but I'll give you props for trying.

What you need:

1. Weber or similar charcoal grill. NO GAS, unless you have a professional lizard that can reach very high temps. Also possible with cast iron, but you need a gas range and the windows open.
2. Hardwood lump charcoal(I like Royal Oak) NO BRIQUETTES, and a chimney starter
3. A well marbled 3/4" thick prime Ribeye steak. Preferably from a well known quality butcher(not wal-mart/piggly wiggly/Sentry/etc).
4. Pepper & non-iodized Salt & extra virgin olive oil(I prefer fresh cracked pepper and sea salt in a grinder)

Steps:

1. Very important!! - Let the steaks achieve room temperature all the way through, before moving on.
2. Get the charcoal in the chimney starter, and start with news-paper, makes sure vents are open and free of debris
3. Lightly brush the steaks on both sides with the olive oil
4. Salt and pepper both sides, be a bit generous, a lot will fall off during cooking, let sit at room temp
5. Wait until the charcoal has visible flames coming out the top of the starter, dump and spread out the coals as evenly as possible. Leave the vents on the bottom and top wide open, you need lots of oxygen flow.
6. Place the grate over the coals and allow it to heat up with the top off the grill for a minute, then put the top on for a minute.
(These coals should be HOT like can't put your hand near the grate for more than a second hot.)
7. Place steaks on the grill and cover. Do not open cover except to turn or remove.

Give them 2.5 minutes. Turn and give them 2.5 more minutes. Remove. Cover with tin foil and let them rest on the table for about 5-7 minutes. This resting period is very important. Do not skip it.

Enjoy. This will absolutely be the most moist, flavorful, and tender steak you've ever set on your taste buds. If you don't think so, you're nuts and probably a bit unstable. :D

If you put any steak sauce on this steak I will personally rap your knuckles with a scale.

Last edited:

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
With cheaper cuts, I like to lightly coat the steak with veg oil then marinate it in Worcestershire, soy sauce and black pepper. I'll cook it on a gas grill but I set it to clean(lol), then when I put them on I will turn the grill down to sear(highest temp setting).

For better cuts I only cook on charcoal. I also don't marinate good steaks, I just rub them down with veg oil and freshly ground black pepper(no salt). Sometimes I will throw some cedar chunks in the grill for a smokey taste. I really like the taste that cedar gives meats, as opposed to hickory or other woods.

Good thread, eclark. You should copy and paste your post to The ST Cookbook.

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Cheap steaks, by all means, tenderize, marinate, cook however. Great for fajitas or otherwise flavored dishes.

But someone destroys a porterhouse, tbone, ribeye, filet(not a big fan of filet personally) or otherwise...I can't handle it.

Forgot about the cook book, I'll have to find it quick.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
Is this OK E?

aindyslim.files.wordpress.com_2011_11_steak4.jpg

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
That picture of the steaks makes jesus cry. Poor cow. It's already dead, why torture it? Animal cruelty in my opinion.

I make anyone that wants their steak cooked past medium bring their own steak, and cook it. I'm considering making them bring their own grill....

And yes, I would drink my own piss before eating well done steak.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
Lmao, Greg.

So what is everyone's favorite cut? A couple of years ago, I would've said that my favorite was a porterhouse but now I think I prefer the taste of a big fat ass ribeye better.

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
My top 3, in order, Ribeye, Porterhouse, Tbone....then a distant 4th is the filet...just not enough fat...sure it's tender, but meh. Gotta have that bone in though.

I get all my beef from my uncle, so I know how they are raised and finished. Cut at a great butcher shop to my specs, and it's the best beef I've ever had.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
Just kidding. For me I keep my steak cooking pretty simple for the most part. Set the steak out until room temp, rub with peanut oil, season with black pepper and kosher salt right before putting on the grill.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.