• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Stealing the Soap Box

The Salt Vampire

...and loving it.
Aug 14, 2006
The guys that made the point that is all about money are correct. The economy sucks and courses are not going to turn away your green fee.

The question that I have is, "Why would you build a really hard course?". We have a new course near me (Tarandowah), that they are advertising as one of the Hardest Courses in Canada. I played it a while back, played well, and shot 85 (I'm a 7). I will play it again largely because it is empty, not because it is hard. The 16+ handicaps that I play with can't break 100 out there, have zero fun, and won't go back.

I am admittedly a bit of a "Course Collector". Am lucky to be able to travel with my job and also have time off in the summer. My first thought about any new course that I play is "Is it fun?". I don't understand the point of stupid hard.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
Same here. I want fun. I want a challenge, because it's fun, but it also keeps the boring same ol' thing from happening.

It's a money thing.. Also, the courses ARE set up for different games and people.

Thats the whole reason we have anywhere from 3-6 tee boxes at some courses.

The problem doesn't really lay blame to the course, but to the players. It's a pride thing to play with the "rest of em", when you shouldn't. That is where slow play, frustration, lost customers, and a bad time out start.

I play from the whites/blue generally. On a course I don't play regularly, and haven't shot well from, I play the whites... Yeah, so what? I'm learning still. I have no shame tee'n off, and looking back to see the other guys on the black tees railing them out there.

Don't lay all the blame on a course, it's in the retards who try and act like they can play bogey or better golf from the tips.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
I was one of those who got into the course just to realize I was not going to be able to have a nice time due to the difficulty it had. I would have really liked to have someone advised me about those courses before. Yes I know there is a slope an stuff like that, but I agree a mark like "beginner" and "only tough pro" would have made me choose more wisely.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I've played a couple of courses that were way above my ability, regardless of which tee box I played.

TPC Sawgrass.
Whistling Straits
Cruden Bay

I would play them all again for the challenge of seeing an improvement.

Having said that, I have no problem picking up after triple bogey on any hole, or doing whatever is necessary to keep up the pace of play.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States

Having said that, I have no problem picking up after triple bogey on any hole, or doing whatever is necessary to keep up the pace of play.

And more folks should do just that, why are they lining up their 5th putt after taking 5-6 shots to hit the green? I want to scream at them "you suck!! Now pick up your damn ball & move along".

DH4816

Jun 20, 2008
I've played a couple of courses that were way above my ability, regardless of which tee box I played.

TPC Sawgrass.
Whistling Straits
Cruden Bay

I would play them all again for the challenge of seeing an improvement.

This is the key. Bad players can play fast. I'm not good at all and I played around by myself in 3 hours even yesterday. I was waiting to tee off on about half the holes and played through one group. Part of the key is not pulling a tin cup, if you put two into the pond you're trying to carry go drop on the other side. No it isn't tourney legal but I'm not good and not playing a tournament.

Same thing off the tee. I give myself two chances if both go out of bounds in the water etc. I give myself an extra penalty stroke and drop a couple yards behind the shortest drive of my group. I also don't try to hit driver down narrow fairways that dogleg left. I tend to pull it right and that is just going to slow things down.

The result is that I can play with single digit handicappers and keep up.

DH

🔥 Latest posts