• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Steel or graphite?

tn-golfnut-from-nj

Birdie Machine.
Jul 13, 2007
When I started playing a few months ago, I bought myself a few irons on e-bay, to see if I actually liked playing.

Now that I'm hooked, I'm ready for a full set of irons.
I have a 7i with a steel shaft, and a 3, and a 6 iron with graphite shafts.

Also a sw and a lw with steel shafts.

At first I was feeling more comfortable with the graphite shafts, but lately since I took a few lessons, and begining to understand how to swing, and trying to apply this knowladge, I'm finding that I am hitting somewhat better with my steel shafted iron.

Is there a reason for this,?
For my new set of irons, I am now leaning towards the steel shafted ones.

However, my favorite club to hit with , still is the Ben Hogan Apex 6 iron, with the graphite shaft.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Steel and graphite shafts BOTH come in different flexes; varying flexes may be why you're hitting some irons better than others, if they're not the same.

As for the question; it's totally preference. Steel is generally more accurate, while graphite is most often much lighter, and allows a bit more clubhead speed. You can still be accurate with graphite, and still be long with steel, but there's just maybe a tiny margin of betterness in those respects.

Either way, you should probably get on a launch monitor to have your swing speed checked. I prefer graphite shafts personally, but I know a lot of people on the board here prefer steel, too.

Graphite is generally more expensive, also.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
I played steel in my first set (late 70's, no choice), then played graphite bubbles in my 2nd set. I went back to steel for my MX-23's and had my 2nd set re-shafted with steel, both sets having lighter shafts. I prefer the steel...just feels better to me in my irons.

You should pick a clubhead you like the best, then get a demo 6 iron of it with the stock steel and stock graphite shafts in the same flex. Then, hit them on the range. Whichever one you have the most confidence in, buy.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.