• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Steel Vs. Ti

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Just figured I'd post a little experiment I did today. I took my old 200steel to the range today. It's got an s-70 graphit shaft and is 9.5*. I got warmed up and hit a half dozen drives with it. Hit it center of the face, pretty straight with a good trajectory. I then pulled the tee, put in a smaller one and took out my 13* TS, which is titanium with the Diamana Red in it. No contest, my 3W was carrying past where the 200steel was ending up after roll out. Easily 10yds. longer with 3.5* more loft.

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
it's amazing what they've done with face design and shafts in the past 5 or so years

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Doesnt surprise me much. Better head, better shaft, better material.

Anything that is within the past 3-5 years depending on the club is easilly superior (excluding wedges/putters, dont jump all over me).

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
Sticck the 200 series on ebay, swop the story about to state that it *still* outperforms more up-to-date equip., as proved by your range session :) :D

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
Nice little experiment. I've wondered about this recently as I had been shopping for a ~19* fairway wood. I was looking for a 19* steel or 20-21* ti as I figured the ti would have given me about the same distance as the steel.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Are the Sonartecs Ti or Steel? I hit twofasts 14* and that thing was pretty long. I hit my 13* a little longer but that 14* was still a cannon.

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
Ezra, have you much experience with trying the TM 300 series Ti. 3-wood ? Am on the market for one atm. You rate it...? :)

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
Are the Sonartecs Ti or Steel? I hit twofasts 14* and that thing was pretty long. I hit my 13* a little longer but that 14* was still a cannon.

They're steel, hence the 19*. Right now it is just a head on the work bench though as I f'ed up my NV75 trying to prep it (I realized I was going to run out of parallel tip section AFTER I tipped it... :real angry: )

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Ezra, have you much experience with trying the TM 300 series Ti. 3-wood ? Am on the market for one atm. You rate it...? :)

I had one a while back but not for long. It was a 13* and I couldn't hit it very well at the time. Why not an R7TP? These heads are the real deal. I think you'd like them, they are very long and very workable.

They're steel, hence the 19*. Right now it is just a head on the work bench though as I f'ed up my NV75 trying to prep it (I realized I was going to run out of parallel tip section AFTER I tipped it... :real angry: )

That sucks man. This may throw the experiment off a little. :laugh: The NP-99 was by no means "short". Of course the shaft in the 200steel is like 1st generation graphite, feels like it's going to shatter when I loaded it. The Proforce Gold is a nice shaft. Nothing like that POS 65g V2 noodle. Feels more like the Speeder 857ti i have in the 5W.

🔥 Latest posts