• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Step on up and lend me a swing cure!

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
In golf, you shouldn't offer a swing tip unless asked, lest you F the guy up further. So, with that said, I'm asking.

Problem: I consistently hit the ball on the heel of the face.

When I'm off, it's a Sh__ uh, Hosel rocket, when I put it on-center it feels like it's off the toe I've been hitting heel balls so long.

How do you get the SOB to move a damn 1/4" further down the face???

I was hoping to custom-fit my way out of it. Unfortunately from what I've read, if you consistently hit it off the heel or the toe, it's a setup or swing flaw that you will compensate with any club to make. Not good.

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is to let the club "swing". I have a real problem with the "letting go" and just letting it swing. I sort of try to swing with my arms instead of just letting the arms follow down last behind the hips and shoulders.

I know I SHOULD "let go", it's the doing I have trouble with.

Hopefully that is what I need to work on, but that will take time and practice.

Anyone have a tip that may just move the ball to the middle of the club with my current swing?

I tried addressing the ball with the toe of the club, and that worked for about 4 swings, then I was back to the same crap.

I have also been trying to keep by weight back in my heels. I felt that maybe I was leaning over my toes too much causing this. It still hasn't "fixed" it.

Thanks for any help and advice!

Augster

obagain

Used club guru
Mar 29, 2005
When you start your down swing you should be pushing with your right shoulder. When you pull with your left shouler it locks your right side behind so you have to push the club away from you to stay balanced thus causing the dreaded s word.

OP
Augster

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
Holy crap. Never thought of that.

Thanks my man. I'll be heading to the range here in a half-hour. Hopefully this will change it up a bit.

I'll let you know if I need more help in about 2 hours. :)

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
If you're sha... um... I mean Hozo Missile, you're doing out-to-in swing...

OP
Augster

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
Cured!

Thanks a LOT obagain.

I have a little pull/draw left over from the fear of the S's. It's more annoying than anything.

The ball will start, I think, down my target line, then about 1/2 way the ball turns over to the left and ends up left to well-left of the target.

I tried to "play it" a few times, aiming a bit right of the target, but the results were the same, the ball drew more to get to about the same spot.

I'm sure it's just legacy from the fear of the S's, as I did hit some DAMN fine shots, but out of 100 balls, I think I had 2 end up right of the pin.

Any suggestions? Maybe a grip change or a setup change?

With my short irons that I was predominantly practicing, I was setting up square to a club aligned parrallel left (you know the drill). With my short irons, should that be a bit more open, or played well back in the stance or something?

THANKS AGAIN!!

100 balls and only 4 of my first 10 were within 1/4" of the hosel (as shown by impact tape). Not a single S! Everything after that 10 were right around the sweet spot. Thanks so much!

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
It will take a while for the change to setle in; you may see the reults improve. The fact that when you aim right, it curves further left makes me think that you are closing your stance to the target (aiming stance left) but not adjusting the club face accordingly. So, you may be ending up with a more closed stance with a comparatively more closed face, which will make it go harder left. Someting to look into anyway.

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Props to obagain

obagain said:
When you start your down swing you should be pushing with your right shoulder. When you pull with your left shouler it locks your right side behind so you have to push the club away from you to stay balanced thus causing the dreaded s word.

Best cure ever for the _____s. Made it to the range Friday and played 31 holes today. Hit a few into deep left field but not one _____. Thanks for tip even if I wasn't the one asking. :)

AMcNeel

Awesome
Feb 23, 2005
lol speaking of s-words i was watching the golf channel the other day and they had some old golf on. . .and one of the announcers said the dreaded S-word and i thought that was a little odd, and then immediatly after, another announcer came in and said "i cannot believe you just said the S-word" he replied with, "well im not playing golf so i guess im in the clear"

🔥 Latest posts