• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Stick With Good Old Pings or Buy New?

4Nines

Mar 24, 2014
Country
United States United States
It's been about 20+ years since I actively played golf. Building a career, family, etc has kept me away from the golf course except for a round or two every couple of years just to make sure I kept my swing. Surprisingly enough I can still strike the ball pretty well considering all the time off. Fortunately, all the years of hard work have paid off and I recently purchased a golf membership at my local country club that has two golf courses. So, I think it's finally time to consider upgrading my clubs.

I still have a nice set of Ping Zing 2 irons from my high school golf team days. They have been fine for the occasional round of golf, but now I'm playing with a competitive group and I would like to upgrade my clubs if it's going to make a difference in my game. I do however really like the idea of getting a really nice original set of Ping Eye 2 Beryllium Copper irons and just getting a new set of woods. I lusted after the Ping Eye 2 Beryllium Copper irons back in the day and after a quick search, it seems like they still hold their own even against today's technology.

I know that just buying new clubs isn't going to make a huge improvement in my game alone (practice is everything), but it has been a long time and I feel like I could benefit from some new technology and a personalized fitting. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
It's been about 20+ years since I actively played golf. Building a career, family, etc has kept me away from the golf course except for a round or two every couple of years just to make sure I kept my swing. Surprisingly enough I can still strike the ball pretty well considering all the time off. Fortunately, all the years of hard work have paid off and I recently purchased a golf membership at my local country club that has two golf courses. So, I think it's finally time to consider upgrading my clubs.

I still have a nice set of Ping Zing 2 irons from my high school golf team days. They have been fine for the occasional round of golf, but now I'm playing with a competitive group and I would like to upgrade my clubs if it's going to make a difference in my game. I do however really like the idea of getting a really nice original set of Ping Eye 2 Beryllium Copper irons and just getting a new set of woods. I lusted after the Ping Eye 2 Beryllium Copper irons back in the day and after a quick search, it seems like they still hold their own even against today's technology.

I know that just buying new clubs isn't going to make a huge improvement in my game alone (practice is everything), but it has been a long time and I feel like I could benefit from some new technology and a personalized fitting. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Sorry, but I've been off the board for a couple days. The Zing 2's are no slouch of a club!!! Very forgiving. Long. Our son has my old set. As far as BeCu Eye 2's. Neither the Eye 2's nor the Eye 2+'s will be as forgiving as the Zing 2's. I understand the "lusting" after the BeCu irons. They are beautiful. Carded the third ace of my golfing life about a year ago with my Eye 2+ BeCu 7-iron. They get rotated in and out of the bag during the season.
One of my other sets that spends lots of time in the bag is a set of Eye 2 stainless. They, too, are a great club and can be picked up for a song. If you do go looking for Eye 2's or Eye 2+'s, make sure all the shafts match and the serial numbers match.
Perimeter weighted irons sorta began with Karsten and his innovative mind. Not a lot has changed in all these years except for adding some plastic in different colors and advances in shaft technology.
Playing with more competitive guys???? Are there more bragging rights if you beat them with a brand new $1,000 set of shiny clubs... or take their money with a 30 year old set???? "See! I just kicked your butts with these old Zing 2's. Heck, the way you guys play, I probably could have done it with a garden rake and a hockey stick!"
Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

OP
4Nines

4Nines

Mar 24, 2014
Country
Thanks for the reply @limpalong ! Is there a particular shaft that is more desirable with the Eye 2s? I've seen some with the dark blue sticker and another set with a light blue sticker on the shaft.

I love the idea of playing well with a nice set of old clubs, but I didn't know if the new shaft technology was worth the upgrade or not? Can you upgrade the shafts on a set of the BeCu Eye 2s or would that be blasphemy?

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
I’m so glad Limp answered this one!!

The idea of playing well and winning with an older set of clubs, is one of sheer evil genius. And support it 100%

OP
4Nines

4Nines

Mar 24, 2014
Country
I’m so glad Limp answered this one!!

The idea of playing well and winning with an older set of clubs, is one of sheer evil genius. And support it 100%
I love this idea as well! I think I will try and find myself a nice BeCu Eye 2 set and then get fitted for some new Ping woods.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Thanks for the reply @limpalong ! Is there a particular shaft that is more desirable with the Eye 2s? I've seen some with the dark blue sticker and another set with a light blue sticker on the shaft.

I love the idea of playing well with a nice set of old clubs, but I didn't know if the new shaft technology was worth the upgrade or not? Can you upgrade the shafts on a set of the BeCu Eye 2s or would that be blasphemy?
Most of the Eye 2 SST were released with TT Lite shafts. These had a blue shaft band. That is the shaft in my set. Karsten didn't believe in "regular" or "seniors" flex shafts... for anyone. The TT Lite are on the stiff side. He always said it's not how far you hit a specific iron, it's how consistent. One tends to be more consistent with a stiffer shaft. The TT Lite is not what one might consider "tour stiff".
Most of the Eye 2 BeCu sets were sent out with Brunswick Microtaper shafts. These were equivalent to a stick of 1/2" schedule 40 galvanized pipe!!!!
Eye 2+, both SST and BeCu, had a variety of shafts. Some did continue with the TT Lite. Some had the KT shaft. Some had the JZ shaft. Mine have the JZ "S" flex.
You can reshaft any of the Eye 2's. It is not recommended to do any grinding/filing/sanding on the BeCu heads due to Beryllium is a carcinogen. I've reshafted some BeCu's with no issue. But... I'm old!!!
The real advances in shaft technology have been more apparent in graphite than in steel. If you get a set, play them for a few rounds before deciding to do anything. Remember, the original Eye 2's were a much weaker loft than today's "ego" lofts. The pitching wedge is 50 degrees, similar to today's gap wedge. So what you might need to hit a 7 iron where your buddy uses a 9! If your 7 iron lands the ball on the green and he blades his 30 yards across the green... who laughs???!!!!
Iron play is all about putting a golf ball close enough to the hole to make your first... and only... putt. Iron play has zero to do with how far you muscle up and hit the durn ball!!
Too wordy!! Sorry! I get carried away.
Sheesh! I can't shut up! If you become a fan of Karsten and Ping, try to find one of the "And the Putter Went... Ping" books. They are expensive, but quite a read. When a guy who was inventing portable tv's and kitchen gadgets for GE decided to build golf clubs, the Game of Golf was changed forever. Karsten's story and the history of Ping is amazing. Should you end up with one of those books, it will take you a couple weeks to read it. You will read a few pages and say, "What the heck did I just read! That couldn't have happened!" You will reread and move on. Lots of fun!!!!
Now I'll shut up!!!!!

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country

And, I apologize for the delay. Been tied up with my wife and some surgery the past few days. Been spending more time with her and in a hospital room than reading a golf forum. She's been pretty patient with me for 55 years. Guess I owe her something!!! :>) Her surgery was a success and I'll bring her home tomorrow.

OP
4Nines

4Nines

Mar 24, 2014
Country
Most of the Eye 2 SST were released with TT Lite shafts. These had a blue shaft band. That is the shaft in my set. Karsten didn't believe in "regular" or "seniors" flex shafts... for anyone. The TT Lite are on the stiff side. He always said it's not how far you hit a specific iron, it's how consistent. One tends to be more consistent with a stiffer shaft. The TT Lite is not what one might consider "tour stiff".
Most of the Eye 2 BeCu sets were sent out with Brunswick Microtaper shafts. These were equivalent to a stick of 1/2" schedule 40 galvanized pipe!!!!
Eye 2+, both SST and BeCu, had a variety of shafts. Some did continue with the TT Lite. Some had the KT shaft. Some had the JZ shaft. Mine have the JZ "S" flex.
You can reshaft any of the Eye 2's. It is not recommended to do any grinding/filing/sanding on the BeCu heads due to Beryllium is a carcinogen. I've reshafted some BeCu's with no issue. But... I'm old!!!
The real advances in shaft technology have been more apparent in graphite than in steel. If you get a set, play them for a few rounds before deciding to do anything. Remember, the original Eye 2's were a much weaker loft than today's "ego" lofts. The pitching wedge is 50 degrees, similar to today's gap wedge. So what you might need to hit a 7 iron where your buddy uses a 9! If your 7 iron lands the ball on the green and he blades his 30 yards across the green... who laughs???!!!!
Iron play is all about putting a golf ball close enough to the hole to make your first... and only... putt. Iron play has zero to do with how far you muscle up and hit the durn ball!!
Too wordy!! Sorry! I get carried away.
Sheesh! I can't shut up! If you become a fan of Karsten and Ping, try to find one of the "And the Putter Went... Ping" books. They are expensive, but quite a read. When a guy who was inventing portable tv's and kitchen gadgets for GE decided to build golf clubs, the Game of Golf was changed forever. Karsten's story and the history of Ping is amazing. Should you end up with one of those books, it will take you a couple weeks to read it. You will read a few pages and say, "What the heck did I just read! That couldn't have happened!" You will reread and move on. Lots of fun!!!!
Now I'll shut up!!!!!
Thanks for all the info! This was super helpful and will help me narrow down my new set of clubs. I've been a Ping guy from day one and I will continue to play Pings whether old or new. I will keep an eye out for that book!

OP
4Nines

4Nines

Mar 24, 2014
Country
And, I apologize for the delay. Been tied up with my wife and some surgery the past few days. Been spending more time with her and in a hospital room than reading a golf forum. She's been pretty patient with me for 55 years. Guess I owe her something!!! :>) Her surgery was a success and I'll bring her home tomorrow.
No worries at all! Family comes first and I'm glad to hear her surgery was a success. 🙏

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Thanks for all the info! This was super helpful and will help me narrow down my new set of clubs. I've been a Ping guy from day one and I will continue to play Pings whether old or new. I will keep an eye out for that book!
2011-01-12 003.JPG
Clubs 006.jpg

Here's my set of Eye 2+ BeCu's. And... my Ping bag I bring out a couple times/year. The photo date is from 2010. Have had the BeCu set of Pings since 2000. Don't exactly remember when I got the bag. Around that 2010 time. Paid $35 for the bag.

OP
4Nines

4Nines

Mar 24, 2014
Country
Well done! Looks like they will serve you well for many years to come. 😎

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
I love this idea as well! I think I will try and find myself a nice BeCu Eye 2 set and then get fitted for some new Ping woods.
Granted, I haven’t done it nearly as much as I’d like to. Playing with the Ping Eye2’s I paid under $100 for. Has been some of my enjoyable golf. Playing with irons as old as I am, is just cool to me!!! 😎

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.