• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Sticks of a Total Hack

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
Lyle is playing the XP905 and I'm playing the XP905 Pro irons. Either one of us could play pretty much any iron we want but we both ended up with XP905s. Why? They are solid and easy to hit. Very high performance for the $. They are a lot like Cally X-18's but at about 1/4 the price.

I did a review on the XP905 Pros in the Review forum. If you search for posts by Lyle and "XP905" you can probably find the thread where he talks about them too.

They are both cast from 431 Stainless so they feel solid but soft for cast clubs. The XP905 has moderate offset and the XP905 Pro has minimal offset.

Figure out what shaft profile fits your game, add your favorite grip and you'll have a darn fine set of irons that will only cost you a little over $100 (as long as you keep the shaft cost reasonable).

Skjay101

May 1, 2008
Haha ok.

I saw that picture and almost fell outta my chair. Couple issues:

You said that was your bag, and there was no putter, I just imagined you turning sideways and closing the face of your 3i to make a flat edge on the green. That has since been cleared up.

You should have some sort of Hybrid or fairway iron, for forgiveness sake. I hit a 2i, but not many do anymore.

You are missing a couple wedges. If you aren't a real serious gamer, buy some cheap 2nd hand wedges or (heaven forbid) go to a big box store and pick up a couple different lofts and play around. Wedge play is fun if you have the equipment.

Your setup in that bag is atrocious. If that is a stand bag, your driver would stick out way further than the rest of your clubs when you set it down. Throw it on the top. Space out your irons a little better too, you have 14 slots. That way you won't sound like windchimes walking down a golf course.

Not being negatively critical, just trying to help.

For the record, I used to hit those wilson clubs when I was in highschool. Not bad gear.

OP
Topflite_D2

Topflite_D2

Titleist Pro V1
Jun 26, 2007
Got my putter yesterday. That set up isn't that bad once I put all the covers on. Couldn't hit a 60° wedge or a hybrid so I threw them out. I've golfed 27 holes this year so no need to spend $300 dollars on other clubs.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Haha ok.

I saw that picture and almost fell outta my chair. Couple issues:

You said that was your bag, and there was no putter, I just imagined you turning sideways and closing the face of your 3i to make a flat edge on the green. That has since been cleared up.

You should have some sort of Hybrid or fairway iron, for forgiveness sake. I hit a 2i, but not many do anymore.

You are missing a couple wedges. If you aren't a real serious gamer, buy some cheap 2nd hand wedges or (heaven forbid) go to a big box store and pick up a couple different lofts and play around. Wedge play is fun if you have the equipment.

Your setup in that bag is atrocious. If that is a stand bag, your driver would stick out way further than the rest of your clubs when you set it down. Throw it on the top. Space out your irons a little better too, you have 14 slots. That way you won't sound like windchimes walking down a golf course.

Not being negatively critical, just trying to help.

For the record, I used to hit those wilson clubs when I was in highschool. Not bad gear.

Hehe, I don't think he's terribly inclined to care.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
Topflite, don't sweat your bag. Buddy of mine showed up last night for 9 at our local muni. His son had taken his irons out of his bag (their the boy's now) and he forgot to put his new MX-19's in. He had driver, a couple of fairways, a new hybrid (ugly square head with a swoosh on it), 2 demo PW's he'd been playing with, a pair of 52/56 Vokey's, and a putter. He shot about 3 strokes over his usual score.

It's not what's in the bag, it's how you use what you've got.

OP
Topflite_D2

Topflite_D2

Titleist Pro V1
Jun 26, 2007
Thanks guys, yeah someone had something in their sig about less clubs less choices. Like I said earlier in the thread the longest hole on the course I regularly play is 355 or something like that. That is pretty much a driver and 5 or 6 iron depeding on the drive.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Thanks guys, yeah someone had something in their sig about less clubs less choices. Like I said earlier in the thread the longest hole on the course I regularly play is 355 or something like that. That is pretty much a driver and 5 or 6 iron depeding on the drive.

Don't forget golf philosophy.

Look at how many wedges I have, and how many clubs between 13-20* I have.

Mine, obviously, is versatility and options.

Some people like simplicity and a tight relationship with fewer clubs.

Bottom line: Whatever works. Even if its a two foot tall french woman that hasn't shaved in fourteen years. If she makes you golf better, well, I right well say do it!

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
Bottom line: Whatever works. Even if its a two foot tall french woman that hasn't shaved in fourteen years. If she makes you golf better, well, I right well say do it!
That's your fantasy, isn't it? :laugh:

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I'm sure sssmokin could provide you with appropriate pictures if you ask him.
Here's one of me and my french girlfriend.

ai159.photobucket.com_albums_t135_eracer1111_20080517_0610.jpg

Members online

No members online now.