• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Stiff or regular shaft:

ttinman23

Jun 7, 2014
Country
United States United States
I need some input if I should get a stiff or regular shaft 9 wood. I use stiff shaft 6.0 with driver and 4 wood. I swing my driver 100-105 but my irons don't have that speed. I use regular flex on irons. Any input? Would a 9 wood regular be ok? Thx

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
I need some input if I should get a stiff or regular shaft 9 wood. I use stiff shaft 6.0 with driver and 4 wood. I swing my driver 100-105 but my irons don't have that speed. I use regular flex on irons. Any input? Would a 9 wood regular be ok? Thx
If you can hit both and see which one works better.

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
I think there is two things here, one being you are close in for the 9w shot, that means accuracy and a stiffer shaft. The other is that there is a lot of loft on the head already, like a low hybrid, and that means a more flexible shaft, which is often used to increase the height of a trajectory, is a little less useful. Both of these considerations tend to the stiffer shaft.

OP
T

ttinman23

Jun 7, 2014
Country
I think there is two things here, one being you are close in for the 9w shot, that means accuracy and a stiffer shaft. The other is that there is a lot of loft on the head already, like a low hybrid, and that means a more flexible shaft, which is often used to increase the height of a trajectory, is a little less useful. Both of these considerations tend to the stiffer shaft.
Thx, I'm leaning to stiffer that just made up my mind.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
I have the same swing speed you have and I use stiff shafts in my FWs. I have a 7W.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
What loft is a 9w? What is it replacing, a 4i?

I'd go stiff steel, but I'm a Sasquatch so...ymmv

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
And, I'm just the opposite of most everyone else. The only clubs in my bag with regular flex shafts are the fairways and hybrids. If I go stiff, I hook the heck out of 'em. The "R" flex allows me to fade or draw them, pretty much on demand. There is no fade in those clubs, if they have an "S" flex shaft.

But... that's me. That's why everyone needs to get what works for them, not what tickles someone else's fancy.

David Lake

Banned
Banned
May 18, 2010
Arnold Palmer said it best - men should play a stiff shaft in all of their golf clubs. I could not agree more, especially so in the irons. More flexible shafts, although ballyhooed by the manufacturers for increased distance, do not effectively increase distance and produce inconsistency in control/accuracy.

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
Im just really into low torque right now. If the ball flight is high enough, I am done.

The flex for me is really related to the length of club I am interested in using. If its real long, s+ or x isnt bad at all. Those long drive guys hitting 48 and 50" inch drivers really have to use x or xx or xxx or it will act like a regular flex and get waaay out of control.

Last edited:

🔥 Latest posts