• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Stiff Shaft

atom

Mar 2, 2008
I have trouble with Regular Flex Shaft for my driver, recently bought a New one, with 9.5 degrees stiff shaft. Hit it very well.

Does it means, most probably, i need a stiff shaft? I swing quite fast... my Cobra Hybrid was quite well last time, but after i made some changes (more whipping), with faster downswing speed, it starts to Fade, will like my Driver theory, changing from Regular to Stiff for my Cobra Hybrid helps?

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Do you swing 135MPH like this other dude I know? Hehe, sorry.

What's your usual driving distance? That's the serious question.

OP
A

atom

Mar 2, 2008
sorry a bit correction and conclusion here, i should be swinging a left slight draw with an R shaft, but changing to Stiff on my Driver changes to straight.

Cobra hybrid tried today, which is a Regular, went slight left draw as well... therefore, conclude i need a stiff shaft.

Not so fit nowadays but still able to swing my new driver stiff shaft to 250 yards. :)

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Your best bet is to find a golf shop with a swing monitor and find out what your swing speed is.

OP
A

atom

Mar 2, 2008
Your best bet is to find a golf shop with a swing monitor and find out what your swing speed is.

totally agree with you, all these are just assumption... after i test... i will post the reason explained by the meter!

place your bet... :)

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
totally agree with you, all these are just assumption... after i test... i will post the reason explained by the meter!

place your bet... :)
I think if you are hitting drives 250 and straight with a "stiff" shaft, then that's a good shaft. I put the word in quotes, because there is no such thing as a "stiff" shaft. One manufacturers "stiff" is another's "noodle."

Point being, don't focus on whether a shaft is "stiff" or "regular." Try to find the shaft profile that works best for you, with the driver head you like.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I think if you are hitting drives 250 and straight with a "stiff" shaft, then that's a good shaft. I put the word in quotes, because there is no such thing as a "stiff" shaft. One manufacturers "stiff" is another's "noodle."

Point being, don't focus on whether a shaft is "stiff" or "regular." Try to find the shaft profile that works best for you, with the driver head you like.

Excellent point, I play a stiff in all my clubs, but for some reason one of the most popular shafts, a UST Proforce V2 in a stiff feels like a 2x4 to me. guess that's why there are so many shafts available huh? :laugh:

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
What you want is to find shafts that play to a similar profile to what you've found to work.

Don't go by stiff or regular, that'll get you into trouble in a hurry.

R35

clemsonhacker

uncle sam's slave
Aug 15, 2006
Excellent point, I play a stiff in all my clubs, but for some reason one of the most popular shafts, a UST Proforce V2 in a stiff feels like a 2x4 to me. guess that's why there are so many shafts available huh? :laugh:

it felt like a wet noodle for me...

West Coast Duffer

Orange County California
Oct 12, 2007

Great point. I swing right at 100 and went in for a fitting on a shaft, and I was fitted for a regular flex becuase of an early release. I can actually swing a regular and a stiff but as Eracer said it depends on the manufacturer.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
I have a swing of around 89-91 and I have a stiff Aldila NVS 75X, the orange one...

I hit it okay.. I slice/fade alot, everything is straight or right. Mostly right.

clemsonhacker

uncle sam's slave
Aug 15, 2006
I'm almost afraid to ask, but what is your swing speed Clemson?

i have a real violent move from the top. it really puts a load on the shaft. last measured SS is 108-111. stiff in ost shafts works for me just not the V2. i could be b/c i bought the shaft frm Ez and he but a vodoo spell on it. but the had the same problem with it... way to whippy...

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
What you want is to find shafts that play to a similar profile to what you've found to work.

Don't go by stiff or regular, that'll get you into trouble in a hurry.

R35

Rock's perfectly correct.

I hate the V2 in anything but a regular....for now, hehehe, see my other threads.

The Accuflex Creation in X-Stiff is perfect for me.

Previous to that, a Stiff VSProto was perfect, no idea why.

Just find the shaft that works.

🔥 Latest posts