• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Stiff v. Regular

buddha33

aka Dick Ramser
Aug 31, 2004
Hey, y'all.

I'm sifting through ebay to pick up both a 2-iron and a 1-iron to add to my set of TA5's. The only thing I'm finding are shafts with a stiff flex. The rest of my irons are regular flex. My questions are:

1) What is the anticipated difference in ball flight with a stiff flex?
2) Will I lose distance compared to my regular flex?
3) Is it even worth getting them if I can't find regular flex?

Thanks.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
The difference between stiff and regular flex is night and day. I play S300 shafts now, and when I go back to my Pings with regular flex, i'm always pushing balls off to the right. The clubhead just doesn't catch up like it should.

Conversely, if you're hitting regulars now, you'll find the shaft to have a "deader" feel than a regular as well as more pulls than you're used to. In a 1 or 2 iron, you're more than likely teeing off with these clubs, so I wouldn't worry so much if you're playing Stiff flex woods. Your increased swing speed on the tee should help in this situation.

I find it easier to hit stiff flex irons if you're playing regulars, but vice versa it's another story. You really have to change your swing to adapt to the softer shaft.

Ball flight will be determined by the type of shaft. Some have hi, low or mid kicks, which can communicate with your swing into a different trajectory. If i'm not mistaken, the TA5's came with Sensicore Regulars, correct? Try and pick up an iron with a matching shaft to your set.

Hope this helps. If i'm unclear, let me know.

R35

Members online

No members online now.