• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Still lovin the FT3

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
I've been searching for a new driver for the past month or so. I liked my FT Tour but just didn't trust it for a full round, every now and then I'd throw a snap hook in with it which would wreck my round. I have since tried, FT9 & FTiZ Tour I-mix heads with various shafts, FT5 TH and FTi LCG Matrix. The FTi is very nice with the Matrix but it was a draw bias head I picked up for a friend so didn't really fit me... I'm tempted to get a Neutral one as I like the looks and performance. However, Yesterday I went to buy some new balls and whilst in the Shop saw a FT3 Tour in the 2nd hand rack. I decided to get it for old times sake as it was so cheap. I threw it in the bag for yesterdays comp and I swear I love the thing. I prefer the duller sound which nobody liked when it was a current model. The shape is superb, love the way it sits behind the ball begging to be hit hard! I rekon if the FT line had all been released at the same time this would be most peoples pick of the crop. For me it's right up there with the looks of the FT Tour, just I think a little more forgiving. Best bang for the buck driver about at the moment, some decent stock shafts as well, Aldila NVS or ProLaunch Blue better than the made for stock offerings we seem to get these days.

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
You're making me want to get another one. I've already had 3. I love the sound of that driver, also.

Barkz

Aug 26, 2010
Biggest golfing mistake I made was trading my old FT-3 for an FT-5. Might get myself another one at the price they are nowadays. Paul have you got rid of the FT-Tour. I should be up at the club on Wednesday afternoon if you are having a knock.

OP
ManchesterGolfer

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
Biggest golfing mistake I made was trading my old FT-3 for an FT-5. Might get myself another one at the price they are nowadays. Paul have you got rid of the FT-Tour. I should be up at the club on Wednesday afternoon if you are having a knock.

Yes sorry pal,,, Jon O'Brian another member at our place has badgered me for it every time we've played and I eventually gave in and let him have it!

I'm off to a Greenkeeping show [{(Pi$$ up)}] on wednesday afternoon i'm afraid. Will be playing Thursday afternoon if you can make it? Going playing Prestatyn on friday.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Good to see MG. It's good to see the situation where people find a club that really suits them & it doesn't matter a damn if it's not the latest shiniest model. I've come across a lot of people who still play the Titleist 905R driver because they consider it Titleist's best ever driver. Perhaps the FT-3 is Cally's equivalent.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
So you've got (had?) the FT Tour that R35 was raving about in a review and like the FT-3 better? I've got a FTiq i-mix and am loving it. I've been close to buying a FT-3 about a dozen times and just never pulled the trigger. Probably would have been a Cally driver fan years ago if I had.

OP
ManchesterGolfer

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
VooDoo shaft?

That VooDoo is a POS.

R35

I've had 4. 1st one was 9.5* and had the stock Voodoo it lasted for around 6 weeks, I hit it well but very high so I sold it and got a 8.5 with Matrix Xcon 6. Whilst it was on it's way over the pond I fell off the rails and got a 909D2 with WB. I sold the FT Tour Matrix without hitting it, made a few quid on it though. Next one was a 9.5 with voodoo which I got for a bargain and planned to reshaft it with a WB. I then saw one on ebay 8.5 with a Fubuki. i asked how much buy it now and he only wanted £150 so I got that and sold my Voodoo one for £150! I hit it very well but every now and then I would hit a bad snap hook with it. It got to the point where I was stood on a tee and pulled 3 wood as I was scared that i hadn't snap hooked one yet that round!!! Mental weakness on my part I'm affraid! anyway my playing partner Jon was constatly on my case pestering me to let him buy it as it's the longest driver he's ever hit, in the end I gave in!

I'm not saying the FT3 Tour is better than the FT Tour but it's right up there in looks and performance for me. I'm after another one and plan to reshaft it with something exotic or maybe just a Xcon 6 or 7!!! R35 how do the Matrix FM shafts play?

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I'm not saying the FT3 Tour is better than the FT Tour but it's right up there in looks and performance for me. I'm after another one and plan to reshaft it with something exotic or maybe just a Xcon 6 or 7!!! R35 how do the Matrix FM shafts play?

The FM series are night and day better than the XCON series. Not saying the XCons are bad, the FM series are just that much more stable and deliver much tighter dispersion. I play with a guy that hits an FT-i Tour with an XCON7 in it, and he hits my FT Tour way, way more tighter than he hits the straight machine. They're firmer in the tip, a tad lower launch and much easier to manouever off the tee. The full length Zylon layer makes them so much smoother in feel, even for the hardest of transitions.

The XCON series are a great shaft for an OEM selection. If you have the chance to upgrade to either the XCON or the FM series, go with an F6M2 or and F7M2. Both are supremely sweet shafts that flat out bomb. The F6M2 is basically a TP-6 that is lower launch, lower spin with a bit more feel.

R35

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
The F6M2 is basically a TP-6 that is lower launch, lower spin with a bit more feel.

R35
That doesn't come in regular flex for old men.... :D

Oops, they do make regular flex but no i-mix ones and the regular ones (new) cost $450....

:frown:

Barkz

Aug 26, 2010
Yes sorry pal,,, Jon O'Brian another member at our place has badgered me for it every time we've played and I eventually gave in and let him have it!

I'm off to a Greenkeeping show [{(Pi$$ up)}] on wednesday afternoon i'm afraid. Will be playing Thursday afternoon if you can make it? Going playing Prestatyn on friday.

No problem mate, will try and get up there Thursday as well then. Enjoy Prestatyn, played it about 15 years ago in gale force winds and torrential rain. Loved every minute of it!

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
That doesn't come in regular flex for old men.... :D

Oops, they do make regular flex but no i-mix ones and the regular ones (new) cost $450....

:frown:

You could try and find a pull and make it an IMIX. Wouldn't take much.

R35

Members online

No members online now.