• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Stock up on ProV1's

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
Coming back to Ezra's comment;

Why is the Pro V the top of the line ball if someone had developed the technology before? Shouldn't the PGA be playing just Callaways and not Titleist with that idea on? Where did Callaway (TF) was left behind?

These are all words that I know, but in this order I'm having a hard time figuring out what they mean.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
Speaking of Titleist balls, I have found a couple of DT wounds this year & was wondering just how old they are?

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
See, now I find exactly the opposite true as the Callaways work great for me.

I really have great luck with the HX Hot Bites.. One of my most used balls aside from the TM reds that just seem to never get lost.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Coming back to Ezra's comment;

Why is the Pro V the top of the line ball if someone had developed the technology before? Shouldn't the PGA be playing just Callaways and not Titleist with that idea on? Where did Callaway (TF) was left behind?

Brand Name Recognition and Tour Exposure.

Most folks would not play a Strata because Top Flite made it. When the Strata line starting seeing a steady increase in play on the PGA Tour due to its performance it began threatening Titleists dominance, Achusnet brought out the Pro V1 which stole from some of the design elements of the Strata ball.

Acushnet/Titleist spends a considerable amount of time and money trying to keep a Titleist ball as the number one ball on tour. They know that the rest of the golfing population sees the Tour as the highest level of performance and technology and will buy into it and consume the products that Tour players do. Keep Titleist as the number one ball on tour, that same ball will be the number one seller on the store shelves.

At the time of the Pro V1's introduction, both Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson were playing Titleist products. Lets face it, how many weekend golfers would be playing Nike balls if Tiger had not switched over to Nike? Callaway's ball share and exposure on tour increased when they started signing big names like Mickelson and Els and quietly killed off the Strata line which maintained a small following on tour by first re branding it as "Top Flite -Strata" and then killing the brand all together by getting rid of it and putting its tour players at the time (guys like Furyk and Stentson) into the Callway product.

I am thoroughly convinced that if you were to slap on a Titleist logo on a Top Flite XL it would double its sales and you could charge $5 more a dozen for it. Brand recognition.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Brand Name Recognition and Tour Exposure.

Most folks would not play a Strata because Top Flite made it. When the Strata line starting seeing a steady increase in play on the PGA Tour due to its performance it began threatening Titleists dominance, Achusnet brought out the Pro V1 which stole from some of the design elements of the Strata ball.

Acushnet/Titleist spends a considerable amount of time and money trying to keep a Titleist ball as the number one ball on tour. They know that the rest of the golfing population sees the Tour as the highest level of performance and technology and will buy into it and consume the products that Tour players do. Keep Titleist as the number one ball on tour, that same ball will be the number one seller on the store shelves.

At the time of the Pro V1's introduction, both Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson were playing Titleist products. Lets face it, how many weekend golfers would be playing Nike balls if Tiger had not switched over to Nike? Callaway's ball share and exposure on tour increased when they started signing big names like Mickelson and Els and quietly killed off the Strata line which maintained a small following on tour by first re branding it as "Top Flite -Strata" and then killing the brand all together by getting rid of it and putting its tour players at the time (guys like Furyk and Stentson) into the Callway product.

I am thoroughly convinced that if you were to slap on a Titleist logo on a Top Flite XL it would double its sales and you could charge $5 more a dozen for it. Brand recognition.
Pinnacles have always been that way for me. I associate that name with another four letter word that starts with 'c', ends with 'p', and has a 'ra' in the middle. Yet, whenever I find one of the newer Pinnacles, and play it, I think to myself "Damn, that's a nice ball."

Why can't I bring myself to buy them? Because not enough people talk them up. I had no problem buying a dozen of the D2-Feels, even though they were Top-Flites, because I'd read so many great reviews of it. And it became my new game ball (I moved to the D2-Distance because I am old and need help.)

We are all golf groupies in one way or another.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
Pinnacles have always been that way for me. I associate that name with another four letter word that starts with 'c', ends with 'p', and has a 'ra' in the middle. Yet, whenever I find one of the newer Pinnacles, and play it, I think to myself "Damn, that's a nice ball."

Why can't I bring myself to buy them? Because not enough people talk them up. I had no problem buying a dozen of the D2-Feels, even though they were Top-Flites, because I'd read so many great reviews of it. And it became my new game ball (I moved to the D2-Distance because I am old and need help.)

NOW I know what to buy you for Christmas!!!! :D

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country

Of course, you know who owns Pinnacle, right? ;)

Up until the release of the Top Flite D2 Feel, the best 2 piece ball I had ever played was the Pinnacle Exception. Of course, being an Acushnet product, it was about $5 a dozen over priced so I never bought any and just played the few I had found. Once I found Stratas on sale at $10 a dozen, I never looked back and loaded up on that product line and still have about a gross of new Stratas in the stockpile. Another good deal I stumbled upon were the Precept SP3's that I scarfed up a gross of the orange ones at $9 a dozen.

I still have a dozen Pro V1's that I won on one of the Majors contests last year that I have never even opened. Maybe they will become a collectors item some day. :D

NiftyNiblick

Nov 12, 2008
I wonder if Spalding is precluded from manufacturing golf balls after selling Top Flite to Callaway. Now would be a great time to bring back the Dot.

I haven't had any real ball loyalty since the original (notXL) 336 dimple 100+ compression Top Flite was on the market. Most consistent ball I've ever played, and the big, flat soles of my Spalding Executive irons could spin them, no problem.

gwlee7

Ho's from Rocky Mount, NC
Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2005
I wonder if Spalding is precluded from manufacturing golf balls after selling Top Flite to Callaway. Now would be a great time to bring back the Dot.

I haven't had any real ball loyalty since the original (notXL) 336 dimple 100+ compression Top Flite was on the market. Most consistent ball I've ever played, and the big, flat soles of my Spalding Executive irons could spin them, no problem.

I liked the Spalding Tour Edition ball.

fredcouplesfan

bring da lulz
Jun 4, 2005
From what I've read, the pro v's that are on the shelf now are not going anywhere because the old version is the one they found infringes on Callaways patent. Titleist is also set to release a new ball in early 2009.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.