• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

STOP HOING CLUBS!!!!

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
So, I went to the range today. I didn't think I was hitting it to badly. Not great, but not bad. I have been struggling with distance loss. I get through hitting my new driver, which feels awesome btw, and noticed the local golf simulator located beside the range was open. Wanting to get some real numbers, I went inside and jumped on the virtual range. "Do you want the video capture on?" they asked. Sure, why not? What came next was an epifany.

My swing is ugly. Fugly. F-ing fugly. It was horrible. Reverse pivot, left arm break down, OTT, no hip turn, the whole deal. Its amazing I can break 110. Driver was going about 210. Pathetic.

Here is the best part. The pro was there, and he saw me struggling. The pro is trick shot guy Ben Witter. He worked with me for about 10 minutes, than let me go again. After about ten swings, I was knocking it out there about 245 with a nice 5 yard draw. He gave me a drill that helped immensely, and helped me "feel" how I should be swinging.

The moral? If you want to play better golf, stop buying equipment and spend the money on lessons. Get to a PGA pro with video capture, let them help you. Stop reading instruction articles in Golf Digest. Get individual instruction. You know the root of my problem? Some magazine advice from Annika Sorenstam, swing at 60 percent. Well, this may work for her, and for others who overswing, but it almost ruined my game. Swinging easy causes me to just stop my hips, and it destroys everything. It told me that what I was doing was wrong, when video says just the opposite.

I know everyone says if you want to get better, stop buying equipment and get lessons. I always agreed, but never did it myself. Well, I'm turning over a new leaf.

Here's to better golf!

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Er,you can do both. They are mutually compatible,particularly for players who aren't in dire need of lessons.I don't ho irons,gap wedges,or my 3 wood.Only drivers and putters,oh and my wedge.Why? because wedges wear out,shafts constantly improve drivers and putters,well,everyone has thousands of putters,its part of golf.If you can putt with one putter all your life you are clinically insane and need committing.

OP
Clugnut

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
Er,you can do both. They are mutually compatible,particularly for players who aren't in dire need of lessons.I don't ho irons,gap wedges,or my 3 wood.Only drivers and putters,oh and my wedge.Why? because wedges wear out,shafts constantly improve drivers and putters,well,everyone has thousands of putters,its part of golf.If you can putt with one putter all your life you are clinically insane and need committing.

No, no you can't dave. I've decided it, and that's how its going to be! You need to go for lessons, dave, I saw the marks on that 3 iron! You suck, dave, pure and simple, and you need help.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
I have to disagree a little with what you said. TBH, seeing my swing on video was one of the worst decisions I ever made, it worked, but once I saw it, I absolutely hated it. Have been working ever since (about the past year) on changing it, its been a lot of work and im still pretty far from it being "my" swing that looks good...

But I guess in the end, itll pay off, but im still far away from my goal of a good swing with a good game... At least I can still putt.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I agree that it's OK to do both. My swing has gotten a lot better since I saw it on video for the 1st time over a year ago. I'm going to be taking a minimum of 6 lessons to start off with, using this new instructor.

I just sold that R7TP. Just the hoing and reselling profit of that R7TP and the R7425 with the Graf Blue was enough to cover the Under Armor shirt and the 60-04 Spin Milled that just arrived. That's profit only. Now I'm going to see if Global still has that BurnerTP 8.5* on there. :laugh:

OP
Clugnut

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
Ho for money is fine, but I'm done trying to find "the next best thing".

I'm just saying that I'm done with buying equipment to mask swing flaws. I'm done looking for hours on the internet looking for deals. I'm taking that time for drills and short game practice. My new bag is full of great feeling clubs, and I need to learn to play good golf with them, not trade them out if I don't play well.

Its time to play some real golf. Its time to get to scratch. Its just time!!

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
So your sig's not correct anymore Ez? :)

I have no driver as of now, unless I count the 200steel 9.5* that's mint in my clubroom.
icon10.gif
I have the Miura MC 102 3iron on the way along with a 200 Steel tour issue 17* fwy. wood. The Superquad (my old one) is on the way back, head only and I just got the 60-04 Vokey SM today. I'm liking the wedge setup and can't wait to try the 60*. I've got the 50* Oilcan redone with the Gun Blue looking sharp as heck, the Titleist Tour Prototype with Mr. Stricker's initials on it (I think, bent to 55* and an 11* bounce with some heel relief and now the Satin spin mill. I'm debating on more Miura's or another BurnerTP in an 8.5*. The 8.5* has been the plan all along since I was hitting the 9.5* very high. I'd like to get just a little more distance and figure a loft drop might give it to me.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
But was that 9.5 really 9.5,or did you gave it measured?

I have no idea Dave. I suppose knowing my luck it was 10.7 and I'll get an 8.5* that is really 7.2*..... leaving local ecologists puzzled at the sudden and drastic decline of the native New England grasshopper population. :laugh:

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
I have no idea Dave. I suppose knowing my luck it was 10.7 and I'll get an 8.5* that is really 7.2*..... leaving local ecologists puzzled at the sudden and drastic decline of the native New England grasshopper population. :laugh:

VERY funny.

ANYWAY...

I'm with you on this Clug. I've been preaching a little here and there against buying equipment as often as a lot of us do. The main point I make is that you need to hit your current driver 260 where you want it to go before you start adding distance. There's no difference in being 150 out versus 130 out if you can't stick a PW/9i anyway. And all of us here seem to have very decent equipment.

Basically, don't buy new equipment until you need it. If you want to hit 290 straight every shot, make sure you can hit it 260 straight first, then get a longer-hitting driver.

Fight the power, bud. I'm with ya here.

🔥 Latest posts