• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Strange animals you have eaten

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Another thread in here "inspired" me to start this one. Don't know why. Extreme boredom no doubt. Anyway, what weird things have you tasted and how was it?

Mine.

Racooon - friend's mom made it and it was really good. :confused:

Black bear - a different friend's wife made it into a stew and very tasty also. Tastes like beef. He claimed immediately after getting it you have to skin it and cut off all the fat or it tastes really bad. If you take it around and show it off before skinning it you won't want to eat it. :(

Not so weird stuff was..

Elk - best wild game there is. Fillets fried in butter. Yum.

Deer - some okay some not. Sausage is good. Hamburger is good. Roasts suck.

Moose - Toughest, driest excuse for meat I ever ate.

Pheasant - best tasting gamebird.

Wild Goose - baked it's too dry. In a crock pot in a kind of stroganoff over noodles it's excellent.

Wild Duck - Dry but tasty.

Squirrel - Quite good as a matter of fact

Pickled Pig's Feet - Used to love it when I was a kid.

Pickled Eggs - Yuch!

Eel - Yum... sushi

Octopi - Okay but not great

Rabbit - Like squirrel

Frog legs - Fantastic. Batter dipped and deep fried

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I ate a cat turd when I was a kid... it was terrible.
icon10.gif

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
I will just list some of the ones I have eaten.

Bear
Deer
Goose
Buffalo
Shark
Alligator
Conch
Horse

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Deer, goose, buffalo, alligator, and bear.

The most suprising? Eel.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Haven't had raccoon, but had all the others.

Off the top of my head I could add Buffalo, Wild Boar, Ostrich, Grouse, Rabbit, Turtle, Tortoise, Dove, Alligator, crayfish, Pigeon or squab, Quail, Quail Eggs, Snake, shark, goat, wild Turkey. I even think I may have had Squirrel and sheep at one point.

I guess I don't really discriminate against certain animals. I would imagine having eaten Chinese food in Philadelphia I may have even had Dog and Cat unknowingly. :laugh:

edit 1 - Frog legs, lamb

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
grey&fox Squirrel(Limb Chicken) - Fantastic in a stew or fried in butter or slow-cooked

Wild Turkey - Meh...had it once it was kinda tough

White-tailed deer - Fantastic, never had a peice of venison i didnt like

Mule deer - only had it a few times....about teh same as white tailed

Elk - I agree with WBL here, great tasting game animal

Possum - had it once at a game feed localy, it was kinda BBQ'd n pretty good.

Black & brown Bear - Greasy but good

Coyote - Again at the game feed, very good actually....

Pheasant - I'm with WBL here too

Morning(or is it Mourning) Dove - Slow cooker stew good, BBQ'ed good with hotsauce

Raccoon - Alright...might have been the way it was cooked though, i would try it again.

rattle snake - it was ok

Goose & Duck - Decent

River Otter - Different tasting but alright

Snails - Very tasty, have them every now and then

Will pretty much try anything, most everything is good if cooked correctly.

I have ate random insects as well at random places...some are gritty others are bitter....just know which ones you can eat and you can survive pretty well on insects while in the wild if need be.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Haven't had raccoon, but had all the others.

Off the top of my head I could add Buffalo, Wild Boar, Ostrich, Grouse, Rabbit, Turtle, Tortoise, Dove, Alligator, crayfish, Pigeon, Quail, Quail Eggs, Snake, shark, goat, wild Turkey. I even think I may have had Squirrel and sheep at one point.

I guess I don't really discriminate against certain animals. I would imagine having eaten Chinese food in Philadelphia I may have even had Dog and Cat unknowingly. :laugh:

Wow, so many i forgot about....never had tortoise though, or shark yet, but i want to try that.

Also add Pronghorn, and mountain goat as well.

So many animals so little memory.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Wow, so many i forgot about....never had tortoise though, or shark yet, but i want to try that.

Also add Pronghorn, and mountain goat as well.

So many animals so little memory.
Also had Snails and Coyote.

Shark is a very good mild fish, many times passed off as scallops. I could have a whole other thread about exotic fish and seafood. :laugh:

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
Weirdest thing is probably Rattlesnake. I've ate tons of different game animals over the years.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Quail
Pheasant
Prarie Chicken
Duck
Goose
Wild Turkey
Whitetail Deer
Mule Deer
Elk
Shark
Sushi
Racoon
Possum
Rattlesnake
Aligator
Chitlins (Deep fat fried hog intestines)
Beef tongue
Beef liver
Beef heart
Beef brains (My mother would mix brains w/eggs and fry them into pancake size patties.)

We didn't move into our first home with running water until 1951. Grew up, as they call it, "dirt poor". If it walked or crawled... we'd usually try to eat it.
Had a neighbor a quarter mile west. Edith would bake homemade bread once a week. Mom would send me up to Edith's to pick up a loaf of bread. In the summer time, Edith had the kitchn door open to the outside. I'd walk in to get the bread and Edith would invite me to stay and talk for while. She'd move cats or chickens out of the chairs so I could sit down. Was nothing unusual to see a chicken walk across the kitchen counter or kitchen table. Yet, we were glad to have the bread and didn't ever worry... until some years later... that the bread might not have been baked in the most sanitary conditions.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country

Shark is a very good mild fish, many times passed off as scallops. I could have a whole other thread about exotic fish and seafood. :laugh:

I love seafood, however living in the midwest i just dont get the oppportunity to have much....beyond cod, catfish and frozen shrimp....lol

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006

They use skates up here. They use a punch to get round pieces of skate, that's cheap scallops. I've eaten pretty much all types of seafood native to the area. I never considered it exotic or anything though although some might.

Staff online

Members online