• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Strange animals you have eaten

goatster

SUPER SOAKER
Feb 20, 2005
i dont know what classifies as strange so i will just list what comes to mind.

whitetail deer of course
goat
pigs feet
cows tounge
rabbit
pheasent
deer liver
wild turkey
probably some other stuff back in my party days that i dont remember

Hos

Jan 11, 2009
Just read the goose sex thread and opened this one thinking - god is this going to get interesting! So far so pretty tame.
Most recent without thinking too hard are:
Octopus (frankly was quite awesome)
Shark
Eel
I thought Dolphin, but know that seems as though it'd be illegal??
Some type of snake while in Mexico - didn't ask, didn't care (DRUNK)

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
Taking away all the ones you already mentioned I guess the weirdest one (for you guys, no for "us") would be Kangaroo. Its not very pleasant though, kind of hard, sticky, purple lol

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Ain't nothin like some good ole kitty. :D

Eel was suprisingly good, actually. Shark I'm leery of, since it can be pretty bad for you, and a lot of it is poaching.

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
I'm originally from Deep East Texas. We ate anything we could shoot. Later we moved down to the Gulf Coast amongst the Cajuns, ate anything that came out of the water.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
In the sea:

Sea Turtle (most delicious thing that swims.)
Sturgeon (damn fine fish.)
Sea Urchin (blecchhh...)
Pufferfish (only the Japanese species is dangerous. the ones you catch here are tasty little "sea-porkchops.")
Octopus (I LOVE grilled Octopus. There are Greek restaurants here in Tarpon Springs next to the sponge docks that are to die for. I always order a plate of octopus.)

On land:

Ostrich (didn't care for it.)
Turkey testicles (aka "Rocky Mountain Oysters." Loved 'em.)
Haggis (Sheep's guts boiled in its stomach sac, then sliced and served warm. I thought it was very tasty, and would definitely eat it again.)
Wild Boar (yummy!) I plan on killing one soon and stocking up.
Frog legs (Good, but I wouldn't go out of my way for it.)
Alligator (never liked it.)
Snails (Escargot rocks!)
Squirrel (delicious!)

In the air:

I've eaten pheasant, duck, goose, turkey, quail - all the game birds.
The only bird I killed and ate one bite of then nearly puked was a Muscovy Duck. Tasted like sewage. Not supposed to eat those...

I've never intentionally eaten an insect or arachnid. Those pictures of people eating scorpions and tarantulas makes my skin crawl. I could do it if I had to, but the local area would pretty much have to be out of rocks and twigs for that to happen...

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Sounds like zoos might have to put on triple security!!:laugh:

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
Squid.......I really like the taste. I've had it twice and both times I got very ill. Guess I am alergic to squid. I'll never eat it again. Bummer cause I liked it up until about 2 hours after eating it both times. I have no other seafood alergies.

I love Mako shark. I love catching them and I love eating them.

bryguy

May 15, 2008
For me, it has to be sea cucumber...the most awful minerally tasting thing I have ever tried.
Jeff, just about all oceanic top predators are bad for you due to high levels of mercury(biological intensification is the scientific phrase for it, the higher up the food chain, the more concentrated the toxins are)
On land, it would have to be either nutria(a big ole water rat, but it tasted very good. Friend was Cajun and went to La with him, and ate just about everything in the woods and swamps of La. ) or beaver(the aquatic type that builds dams, not the other type...oh never mind,). Birds would have to be coot(again in La, they call it pou de chick or something to that effect, means swamp chicken in cajun).

Totally weirdist has to be conch penis. Spent several summers in the Bahamas on a fishing boat when I was younger, and full of pee and vinegar. The local bahamian men claimed it helped your drive and performance, and I did it to show off to some of the girls that were around the club I worked at. It really had no taste, and could not tell if it had the desired effect. I was only 18 at the time, and a good stiff breeze was all it took back then.

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
Totally weirdist has to be conch penis. Spent several summers in the Bahamas on a fishing boat when I was younger, and full of pee and vinegar. The local bahamian men claimed it helped your drive and performance, and I did it to show off to some of the girls that were around the club I worked at.

Eating conch penis can improve my drives and performance? Alright, I might find a fairway.... Oh, thats not what you meant... My bad.

Not really strange or anything but Australia is the only country to eat its coat of arms (kangaroo and emu).

Emu is not bad, but sure as hell doesn't beat a nice porterhouse.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Moose - Toughest, driest excuse for meat I ever ate.

I think you have this confused with some other game. Moose is cut with your fork tender - I suppose it depends on what cut you get, or who your butcher was for that matter ;)

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
deer
moose
elk
bear
caribou
rabbit
seal
skunk
beaver
crow
raven
duck
goose
squirrel
chipmunk
horse
pigeon

and many others I cant even remember.

When I was about 12-17 I use to camp for 10-20 days at a time with my cousins. We would only bring water, and our 22 caliber rifles. Ate many a weird critter for sure.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Rock PMed me earlier...

"I ate a sheep once...tasted like fish."

🔥 Latest posts

Members online