• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Suddenly have a bad slice and loss of distance please help???

Jason Mullins

Jun 14, 2012
Ive always played a fade type shot or a draw with better than average distance on my woods and irons. I have always had alot higher ball flight than i like i wish i could get it down lower. Anyway all of a sudden im hitting a terrible slice and lost a ton of distance. Only hitting drives 220-240 and lost about 15-20 yds on each iron. Any tips or ideas to help or some drills i can do at home???

lamebums

300 yards into the woods.
Jul 4, 2007
Hi Jason--

Without seeing a video of your swing (either online or in person), I would surmise you're opening up the clubface at impact. This can be caused either by your grip weakening itself, or possibly you're using too much of your right arm to muscle the ball through impact.

To rule out a grip issue, I suggest taking a practice swing, and stopping at impact - and seeing if the clubface is open. If so, then adjust your grip accordingly.

joeped

Jan 11, 2008
Ive always played a fade type shot or a draw with better than average distance on my woods and irons. I have always had alot higher ball flight than i like i wish i could get it down lower. Anyway all of a sudden im hitting a terrible slice and lost a ton of distance. Only hitting drives 220-240 and lost about 15-20 yds on each iron. Any tips or ideas to help or some drills i can do at home???
The grip issue is possible and so is "over the top." Starting your swing from coming over the top instead of the inside can lead to some horrible slices. Make sure that on your downswing your right shoulder does not start the move. If it does you will be hitting the ball from outside to inside causing a loss of distance and slicing.
Joe

stllefty

Dec 30, 2008
St. Louis Missouri
Country
United States United States
Take the club to the top of your swing and hold it!!!! Have a friend check your blade alignment. You more than likely to have the blade open at the top.
If the toe of the blade is pointing to 11:00 or earlier (right handed player), the blade is open ,from a flat swing.
Thus a slice & high ball flight.
You may also notice your back becomes sore sometimes from this swing (Reverse C Move)
This position can be achieved by a number of ways.
#1- Rotation of the forearms at takeaway.
( Swinging with the arms to the inside on the takeaway)
#2- Staying on the rear foot and not transferring the weight to the front foot on the downswing.
#3- Too Weak of a grip on the froward hand. (thus leading to a flat swing)

Quick Fix- At the top of the swing make sure the heal of your left hand is pointing
on a 90 degree to the ground (right handed player) The hand position at the top should between the shoulder and the ear. If the hands are below the shoulder line
your too flat!!!!
At impact the rear of the leading hand should be square down the line toward the target.
Hope this helps

🔥 Latest posts