• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Sumo 10.5 w/Graf Red Reg. - 1st look

sssmokin

Retired and loving it
Supporting Member
Jul 2, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
warbirdlover said: Don't know which is uglier.... you or the club.. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Well.............we're twins, remember? You look just like me (with some definite flaws of course).............I think both the club and I look good.:laugh:

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
Y'all are twins???

Geez, what did your parents do in their previous lives to deserve that??

sssmokin

Retired and loving it
Supporting Member
Jul 2, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Country
That's kind of a "morbid" reply, Bro. Although we may have sent them to an early grave. It's very possible............LOL.:)

OP
Eracer

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Now to bring this morbid thread back "on topic" with a little good news...

I got my 10.5-deg. Sumo back, reshafted with the Grafalloy Comp NT Prototype shaft (regular flex).

I don't quite know how to explain the feeling I got after hitting range balls with it.

YEEHAW !!
EUREKA !!
HALLELUJAH !!

I have honestly never been this excited about a golf club before.

I'm going to preface this review by saying that there was a breeze at my back, which added some yardage and probably masked some sidespin.

I swung nice and easy the first time, and the ball went dead straight, on a nice trajectory. Definitely better than the ProLaunch Red.

The next couple of shots I swung fairly hard. All that happened was the ball went further.

I ripped the next couple shots, really swinging harder than I've dared for a long time, and the damn ball just went straight out on what looks like a perfect launch angle. I mean these shots were rockets, and got several appreciative glances from other golfers at the range.

I tried really turning my hands over on one shot, and the ball just went straight, but on a lower trajectory, due to my de-lofting it at impact.

After hitting these shots, I honestly felt like getting on my knees and shedding a tear...it was that good.

So - What I now have is a club that seems to be what a driver should be: a deadly weapon. I can't wait to get this thing out on the course.

Other notes:

The sound changed. It's louder with the Comp NT than it was with the Red. By no means loud - just louder.

The "feel" is the same. By that I mean, there is none! I never felt any of the balls coming off the face. I just swung the club and looked at the ball rocketing off into the distance.

I will update this review as I spend more time with it. As of right now, I believe that this combo is one that anyone with a decent 90mph swing should look at. This shaft is really something special IMHO; combined with this incredibly forgiving head, you have a club that is what a mid-capper with a decent swing wants a driver to be.

Again, better players may not appreciate the "super-forgiveness" and lack of feedback (feel) that this club has. As of right now, for me, this is the perfect driver. I hope the honeymoon lasts, but I will reiterate that at this moment I've NEVER felt this good about any golf club in my 30+ years of playing this game.

I feel like WBL. En-Raptured.

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
Nicely done, sir. I like the before and after shaft change comments. I've only reshafted one club so those are some things that I wouldn't think about; this is good to keep in mind.

OP
Eracer

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
My first experience on the course with the Sumo.

First drive was a huge banana slice. WTF !?! Something I couldn't do if I tried on the range. Must have been one heck of an ugly swing. At this point I'm a bit worried, but I sucked it up and used driver four more times. Three of the shots went 250 with a nice power fade. The last drive was 265 dead straight over water. Trajectory seemed a bit low, but not too bad. I've got to get this thing to a launch monitor. Right now I'm thinking I should have gone with the ProLaunch Blue to get the higher trajectory. But enough guessing. I need some science here.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Very interesting review (and sorry about my morbid comment about parents... I DID "jokingly" mean sssmokin and I probably sent them to an early grave).

I had more "sporadic" success with the Comp NT shaft. At the range I hit some of the longest shots I've ever hit but about 1/3 of the time. The rest were ordinary so-so (straight) drives. I wanted a stiff flex in my Launcher Comp but the guy bought a regular flex and "tipped" it to get stiff flex. I think he ruined the playing characteristics as they don't recommend tipping this shaft. In any case I was extremely disappointed in what I had. I also do not know if he screwed it up or if I just didn't get along with it.

I would not jump to the ProLaunch blue since it is quite a bit higher launch then the ones you've tried. If the Comp NT doesn't work for you try a NVS or VS Proto. VS Proto is the hot shaft out there right now unless you can afford a Diamana Whiteboard. :laugh:

In regard to the UL540 stiff sssmokin put in his other SQ... We both hit it in Kentucky and it showed great promise but the Graman UL540 stiff is TOO stiff for both of us. We lost distance and a regular flex (like sssmokin has in his 3-wood) would have been the right one. sssmokin's putting a VS Proto in that SQ as we speak and getting the Limey to IG in Ireland.... :D

OP
Eracer

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Very interesting review (and sorry about my morbid comment about parents... I DID "jokingly" mean sssmokin and I probably sent them to an early grave).

I had more "sporadic" success with the Comp NT shaft. At the range I hit some of the longest shots I've ever hit but about 1/3 of the time. The rest were ordinary so-so (straight) drives. I wanted a stiff flex in my Launcher Comp but the guy bought a regular flex and "tipped" it to get stiff flex. I think he ruined the playing characteristics as they don't recommend tipping this shaft. In any case I was extremely disappointed in what I had. I also do not know if he screwed it up or if I just didn't get along with it.

I would not jump to the ProLaunch blue since it is quite a bit higher launch then the ones you've tried. If the Comp NT doesn't work for you try a NVS or VS Proto. VS Proto is the hot shaft out there right now unless you can afford a Diamana Whiteboard. :laugh:

In regard to the UL540 stiff sssmokin put in his other SQ... We both hit it in Kentucky and it showed great promise but the Graman UL540 stiff is TOO stiff for both of us. We lost distance and a regular flex (like sssmokin has in his 3-wood) would have been the right one. sssmokin's putting a VS Proto in that SQ as we speak and getting the Limey to IG in Ireland.... :D

thanks for the GREAT feedback WBL. The fact that I was able to hit good drives after the first horrible one gives me hope. I've never been able to "fix" my driver on-course before. It's always been either a "good" driver day, or a "bad" driver day. I love the feel of the NT Comp so much that I'm not going to "jump ship" just yet. And my history with this shaft has been good. I know Lyle hates it, and maybe down the road I'll send him a video of my swing and have him reshaft the club with what he feels would be a good choice. Again - thanks.

🔥 Latest posts