• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Sumo 2

demon

Hybrids are for girls
Oct 29, 2006
Demoed the Sumo 2 9.5* Stiff with the stock Diamana today. At first glance the head is huge but makes the shaft look short for a 45" club. First impression off of the first hit is this thing is freaking loud, really loud. Everyone at the range turned their heads and looked at me after I hit it. First ball was a monster hit, straight long and high with a little ballooning at the end. I felt like I can really tear into this thing, I opened up the swing speed and started to hit the hell out of them. Most shots ballooned at the tail end and were long but have virtually have no roll, they just fell out of the sky like a dead bird. This club is not workable and probably lost yardage since it had no roll at the end. I did easily carried the 280 yard marker from my spot on the mat and I put the range finder and it was at 284 yards.

I have confidence with the club because it goes straight, but would never buy it due to the looks and the sound of it. Not too bad for the beginner who wants to hit the ball far.

OP
demon

demon

Hybrids are for girls
Oct 29, 2006
A beginner with a large wallet.:)

Never looked at the price since I knew I wasnt going to buy it.

Forgot to mention, the harder I hit this thing the higher it went. Trajectory was massive on this, I bet I would need a 8.5* with an X stiff to brind that beast down. Dispersion, forget about it! This thing was all over the place, no doubt the Sumo2 needs something with a stiffer tip section. A very dead feeling club, I would guess the swingweight to be a D2 tops.

Hangfire

Jan 6, 2006
I was out on the range yesterday and some guy had one, geez that was one loud driver. It made the birds fly out of the trees!:hunter:

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I hit it today in the shop. Felt a lot better than I had imagined. Toaster on a stick... I'd take it out for a demo round if a had a credit with $500 or whatever they want for it left on there. I swung it so hard when I held my finish I lasted about a second and then nearly fell over backwards, shoulder blades at the target. Felt like I hit it dead center, sounded like hitting an oak tree with a pipe. If the distance was equivelant to what that swing would produce with say the R510TP on a dead center strike... I would have to play a Sumo... I'd be scratch in a month cranking out dead straight 310yarders. Heck, I'd just drop everything under a 5iron and carry 7 wedges. I have a feeling all that forgiveness must eat up a lot of the distance though.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
At the right loft with the right shaft you should see no loss in distance.

You can the integra quadratic (square and getting rave reviews) for less than $75

packerfan1

South Bend, IN
Jan 4, 2007
Sumo 2 try

I attended 'Sumo Saturday' at my local golf shop, mostly out of curiousity and boredom on a below zero temperature with a foot of snow onthe ground Saturday.

I am a golfer who routinely shoots in the low 90's...my drives typically top out at around 220 yards, somewhat straight but the more than occasional wild slice...typical 'weekend golfer' on any municipal course.

I just purchased a TM 580XD over Christmas as an opportunity to 'step up' to a name brand driver with proven (albeit a bit old) technology. I have only had the opportunity to hit the TM at the range, but it has improved my length and straightened my drive out quite a bit over my previous generic driver.

Thus, I went to try the Sumo 2 entirely out of curiousity...no intent to buy. The club is too expensive for my budget, anyhow.

At first glance, the head on htis club looked huge, like something out of a comic book or characiture. I couldn't believe a person would even be able to swing this thing. Ugly, plain and simple...and I had a hard time getting past the looks of this thing.

I hit the club both into a net and also out onto an extremely frigid and snowy range (the hitting area was heated, but this doesn't help ball flight). No matter how I hit this thing (and believe me, I have my share of off center hits), I couldn't slice the ball. Maybe the worst shot out of 10 or 15 shots was 10-15 yards right of center. My length was only around 175...but it was cold and I was hitting range balls. Honestly, usually my drives fall around the 200 yard mark at the range in good weather, not the longest hitter but realistic. So I lost distance but got a lot of control.

Sound: boy, this thing is ugly. Loud, very loud, no ping, more a bong sound. I could realistically see everyone from several holes around turing to watch me hit my drive after they hear this club on the course. Very loud...distractingly loud.

I am no purist...but I don't see me using this club. Too expensive, to begin with. Ugly looking, and freaky loud. The club is a distraction to my game, no matter how well it straightens out my shot. And believe me, this is the closest club to being a 'game changer' for my slice. I just can't get past the visual and aural asthetics.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
The sound can be corrected very easily. Remove shaft, remove hosel plug, add 5 grams of wool yarn (push through hosel), reinstall hosel plug, re-install a better after market shaft amd it will sound great and play even better.

fore142

Oct 22, 2006
i hit it the other day too. I agree it was very loud. Kinda sounded like a metal baseball bat. tip on the shaft would need to be a lot stiffer in think. I just couldnt get over the looks of it.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I actually just want to get one out of the shop and onto the range or course. I think I could just set up to the ball, side-step back about 5ft. and wind up with a 360 turn and just try to cream it with a 140mph swing.

Then I would have at least have a swing to match it's ridiculous looks.
icon10.gif

Quadratic sounds interesting though Lyle. I'll keep on eye out you know where.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
EZ,

if you want one let me know. I can get them for a song (cough, cough)

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
OK. I'll give it some thought. Still need a few more things for the bag... and the bag 1st. That would be a cool thing to have though, definitely get some attention from the guys I play with.

I honestly would like to get that Sumo out on the range or course. I swung it at about 102%, came off the ground about an inch, shoulder blades pointing at the wall. Felt good, could be heard 3 blocks away
icon10.gif

The head and strike actually felt about 100times better than I expected. It just felt like I crushed every one, would love to see where they are really going. If it's like 305 I'll be sold on it in a heartbeat.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
A Quadratic with a Limey!! You'd be the hit of the golf course!! :wow:

(And how come you'll try a Sumo 2 and won't a Ping Rapture?) :D

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
A Quadratic with a Limey!! You'd be the hit of the golf course!! :wow:

(And how come you'll try a Sumo 2 and won't a Ping Rapture?) :D

I actually just happened to see the demo Sumo sitting literally right there at the exit of the demo hitting area. I had to give a few whacks. I'll see if they have the Rapture next time. I think I hit a G5 there before but they had no decent shafts. The only demo was an Rflex and a high launch shaft.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Son-in-law and I visited GG, yesterday. He is a long hitter and wanted to try both the Sumo 2 and the FT-I. The one poster's comparison of sound to an aluminum baseball bat was pretty close to the sound of the Sumo 2. Extremely loud!!!!
SIL usually has no problem cranking drives on the GG simulator over 300 yds. Tried a couple of different shaft and loft combo's and couldn't bet over 285 out of either of the square headed drivers. He went out to the car and brought his G5 w/NV85S in and cranked the first 2 over 310. The young man working the simulator said this is pretty typical. They are not seeing either the Sumo or the FT-I as long as many other drivers. They are much straighter. He says the folks buying them are those looking for forgiveness, not distance.
I remember the first Big Bertha (steel head) I put in the bag in the early 90's. Some guy saw it and called it a turtle on a stick. Then the Great Big Bertha and the Biggest Big Bertha were even larger. The first 460 cc driver seems really out of whack, it was so large! Nothing... NOTHING can be as ridiculous looking as these new square headed drivers. I can only hope this is a quick, passing fad so this ol' man won't have to step up to a tee box and look down at one of these things. SIL compared the Sumo 2 to looking down at a Denny's 4-egg omelet on the end of the shaft!

🔥 Latest posts