• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Sumo 2

mediaguru

Feb 13, 2005
Have you demo'd the new Nike Mickey?

main.php

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
SIL compared the Sumo 2 to looking down at a Denny's 4-egg omelet on the end of the shaft!

limpalong

I was thinking more of a "vacuum cleaner" on the end. I swung all these square ones today during lunch. No launch monitor to hit them though. FT-i isn't near as bad looking as that goofy Sumo 2.

:laugh:

flomarilius

Nike staffer :)
Jun 19, 2006
you see this is typical nike bashing at its finest. Do you realize that the FT-i is more square than the sumo? You guys realize that the powerbow is what makes the head and you are really not swinging the grey part but the black crown right? If the SQ had no powerbow its a replica of the Ignite. Thats the key to swinging that club.

sssmokin

Retired and loving it
Supporting Member
Jul 2, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Country
Driver: Nike Sasquatch 10.5* Fuji 26.3 (stiff)
Hey flomarilius.........that's a nice choice of driver you have in your bag. I LOVE mine with the Grafalloy Pro-Launch 65 shaft. How do you like the Fuji shaft in yours? Warbirdlover has to admit that he couldn't out-drive me with his Rapture last year. I don't want anything to do with the Sumo2 though, just because of the looks.:)

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
you see this is typical nike bashing at its finest. Do you realize that the FT-i is more square than the sumo? You guys realize that the powerbow is what makes the head and you are really not swinging the grey part but the black crown right? If the SQ had no powerbow its a replica of the Ignite. Thats the key to swinging that club.

But a Mustang has 200+ HP and so does a Honda Accord.

Unfortunately, not everyone likes the Mustang and they like Accords. Looks, even if they serve a purpose as in the case of the Sumo2, aren't for everyone.

The PowerBow might make the club perform, but for many, it makes it look terrible.

If you're a fan, that's great. But people can criticize a clubs design all they want. It's just personal opinion.

R35

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
Just saw a thread on another board where a guy was playing in the rain and slung his Sumo2 into a lake. My only thought: I hope it doesn't cause a fish kill! :D

Sorry, I hate the looks of this driver.

I do regret the guy lost his new driver...that would suck no matter what it was.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Just saw a thread on another board where a guy was playing in the rain and slung his Sumo2 into a lake. My only thought: I hope it doesn't cause a fish kill! :D

Sorry, I hate the looks of this driver.

I do regret the guy lost his new driver...that would suck no matter what it was.

I wouldn't worry. I bet that thing floats and doubles as an aircraft carrier...:laugh:

R35

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
I don't care for the SUMO2 but the std SUMO (SQ replacement) really impressed me at lunch today. I spent all lunch hour at the range hitting the SUMO, HiBore XL, and my current driver. Today was the best day too because my swing was definitely off a bit.

I lost a lot of balls high and to the right with my driver today. The HiBore went straight for the most part but it hit the ball really really high (there was a breeze to contend with). The SUMO on the other hand took all the crap I could dish out and then some. I think I lost all of one ball to the right. The ball flight was lower than the XL (both had stock stiff - "red" for the XL). I like the sound and feel better as well. The new SUMO, looks and all, absolutely made the finals in my driver testing this spring.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
I had to opportunity to hit the Sumo 2 the other day while out on a local ho sightseeing trip. I heard it before I saw it. :D There is definitely something wrong with the sound in these things. Personally, I like the looks of the square drivers. The Sumo 2 fits my eye better than the prevous verions of the SQ. Anyway, I was checking out some Tour Edge stuff at my new favorite ho'ery and heard the most god aweful sound coming from the hitting bay. People say it sounds like a softball bat, but to me it sound like when you slap two 2 X 4's together. A painful wood on wood sound, not a good persimmon or even good baseball on ash sound. When I went over to the hitting bay to try out another club, I asked if the guy ahead me was hitting the Sumo 2, sure enough, he was. I gave it a few swings, but the hitting bay was concrete block and that sound was amplified even more when you were in there so I had to stop immediately. It felt OK, but I just could not get over that sound. The FT-i has a much more pleasing sound.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I hit it Saturday. The sound is like taking two 2" diameter, hollow, 3' long iron pipes and smacking them together as hard as you can. Ball comes off the face hot though. They'll sell some of these.... but not to me. :laugh:

HighTopFade

Sep 1, 2006
I hit a Sumo 2 9.5 with a Diamana BlueBoard 63 S. Even with my not so perfect swing, I was rippin it. If you have the $$$$ and can get over the sound and looks, then it's a great club.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
A Quadratic with a Limey!! You'd be the hit of the golf course!! :wow:

(And how come you'll try a Sumo 2 and won't a Ping Rapture?) :D

Boy did he miss an opportunity there!

"BECAUSE IT'S A PING !!"

:laugh:

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Too late Eraser. I didn't see this. :D

I hit a Sumo 2 9.5 with a Diamana BlueBoard 63 S. Even with my not so perfect swing, I was rippin it. If you have the $$$$ and can get over the sound and looks, then it's a great club.

HighTopFade

That's a pretty sweet shaft in that Sumo you were hitting. That's going to help "rip" it!! :)

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.