• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Sumo Driver Help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

winders

Sep 23, 2006
Folks,

I am thinking about getting one of the Sumo drivers. The SQ Tour (10.5º) that I have now may offer more shot making capabilities than I am prepared to handle. I think I could use the extra MOI offered by the Sumo drivers. I got the SQ Tour with a the Diamana Blueboard 83 g4" t stiff shaft.

That club hits off the monitor with the proper launch angle from my swing speed (just over 100 MPH).

What shaft would be good to get with the Sumo or Sumo2? What degree head should I get? The same 10.5º head I use now or something a bit flatter lie the 9.5º head? By the way, as I play more and get better, my swing speed is increasing.

Should I think about putting one of the Sumo heads on my current Diamana shafts?

Opinions please!

Thanks,

Scott

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Loft depends on what you get for launch angle on a monitor. Ideal is 14º-16º. Only way to know is to swing on there. Stiff flex (for over 100) is probably okay if you are increasing but if not you could play reg flex. After this I wouldn't know what else to suggest. :D

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Folks,

I
What shaft would be good to get with the Sumo or Sumo2? What degree head should I get? The same 10.5º head I use now or something a bit flatter lie the 9.5º head? By the way, as I play more and get better, my swing speed is increasing.

Scott

I would agree with WBL and get yourself on a launch monitor before you make the purchase decisions.

That being said, I have found that the high MOI drivers tend to loft the ball a bit more that the traditional 460cc drivers (hard to believe I used the word traditional and 460cc in the same sentence, isn't it :D) as the additional weight further back lowers the CG. You may want to go down 1 degree or so of loft as long as you are still getting adequate height on your drives. As far as a shaft goes, if your like Rock and have found THE shaft for your swing I would stick with it. If you are still searching for THE shaft, you will probably have to spend some time in the hitting bays finding it.

demon

Hybrids are for girls
Oct 29, 2006
I find what ualtim to be correct about High MOI drivers having a higher trajectory. I hit the SUMO2 very high but far for the carry, roll is non-existent so I lost about 15 yards.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
its not the MOI that is causing the higher trajectory.
Its the placement of the weight in the head. By going square, they can move so much weight low and back. At high swing speeds this causes way to much spin with higher lofts, but is the main reason slower swingers will see distance increases at the same time.

IMO if you like your current ball flight and play a 10* driver, get a SUMO with the same shaft but an 8* head.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
The Sumo2 is definitely higher launch when compared straight up to the Sumo.

I will agree with all those that mentioned testing - you'll need to do this straight away. If you've been happy with Nike product in the past, I'm willing to bet that you won't be with these. This has been a complete flip for Nike. I really think they're pushing entertainment and uniqueness instead of practicality and asthetics.

But, to each their own. Get out there and give one a test drive. It's the only way you'll know forsure.:)

Cheers,

R35

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Without a doubt. With your swing speed you could stand to use an 8*-8.5* driver. Especially when you get one that has a rediculously low center of gravity. This is why most tour drivers have differant COG's than retail clubs. Low COG works great with a 90mph swing, you start hitting hitting 110 mark and its balloon city.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
KJ Choi (spelling?) used one of these vacuum cleaners to win a tourney and I watched him smack some long ones straight down the middle so there is something there. :D

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
KJ Choi (spelling?) used one of these vacuum cleaners to win a tourney and I watched him smack some long ones straight down the middle so there is something there. :D

Again, please don't assume that retail equipment is anywhere near what pros play. This is a tough habit to break, but it's extremely night and day.

R35

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
I had a look at one of these things yesterday. Words cannot describe how awful it looks. :real angry:

OP
W

winders

Sep 23, 2006
I had a look at one of these things yesterday. Words cannot describe how awful it looks. :real angry:
Andy,

I don't know about you, but I look at the ball, not the club. I don't care what the club looks like as long as it gets the job done. If the Sumo2 gets the job done the best, that's what I will get.

Scott

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
Andy,

I don't know about you, but I look at the ball, not the club/quote]

Okay, next time I will soley look at the ball and not the club. Jesus, Oh - that is a real stupid thing to say, man ! It *has* to be pleasing to the eye to help things go nice and well. I suppose through time when you start wapping it a long way out there that you might appeal to those strange, strange looks just a tad...:laugh:

OP
W

winders

Sep 23, 2006
Andy,

Really, I don't pay attention to the club. The last time I look at the club is when I am making sure the face is square with the target.

Clubs are tools. Why does the club have to be pleasing to the eye? Saying that it has to be pleasing to the eye is real stupid thing to say. Does a carpenter buy a hammer that looks good or one that does the best job for him?

Scott

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Andy,

Really, I don't pay attention to the club. The last time I look at the club is when I am making sure the face is square with the target.

Clubs are tools. Why does the club have to be pleasing to the eye? Saying that it has to be pleasing to the eye is real stupid thing to say. Does a carpenter buy a hammer that looks good or one that does the best job for him?

Scott

If there are 100 different tools for the job, each one doing just as good a job as the next (like today's drivers), why not get one that looks pleasing to your eye and works?

Saying asthetics doesn't come into play with golf clubs is ludicris. Why else would companies make different designs?

If you like the Sumo2, fine. But don't come off thinking that looks has nothing to do with it because that's a flat out lie. If you didn't care, you wouldn't have asked the question in the first place.

R35

Status
Not open for further replies.

🔥 Latest posts