• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Sumo Driver Help...

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
W

winders

Sep 23, 2006
R35,

Where in my first post did I mention anything about aesthetics? Read it again and let me know.

The point of my first post was that I felt that I was not ready for playability that the SQ Tour driver offered and that the higher MOI clubs likes the Sumo or Sumo2 might be better suited to my current skill level.

Since most clubs today look alright to me, it is not a flat out lie when I say that looks don't come into play when I pick out a club. I am looking strictly at performance for me and my game.

If you guys care a great deal about the aesthetics of the clubs you play, more power to you. I was speaking for me and me alone.

I would request that you retract your statement calling me a liar and an apology would be nice too.

Scott

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Then go hit the Sumos and make your own decisions. No sense asking people's opinions if they give them and you could care less.

You won't get an apology from me. Sorry.

R35

OP
W

winders

Sep 23, 2006
R35,

I make my own decisions. But I like to make informed decisions which is why I asked for opinions. Where did I say that I did not care about the opinions regarding the questions that I asked?

I pointed out that aesthetics made no difference to me and get told that is a "stupid thing to say" and "that's a flat out lie".

What a friendly pair we have here.....

Scott

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
I've got the Cally FTi Tour driver. I got it in 8.5 degrees and hit the thing higher than my 9.5 FT3 & 10.5 X tour. So I would think about lower loft than normal that said if you can get on a monitor as people have sugested get on one, if not go for lower loft. BTW, I personally love how easy it is to aim a square driver 'squarly' at the target and I like the look of the FTi at address. I think the Nike would look better if the power bow was black like the rest of the head then you would have the same benefits, why try to make a square driver look round?

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
You won't get an apology from me. Sorry.

simply classic... :biglol:

Hey Winders,

Have you hit the Sumo2 yet? I hit on in the shop the other night and words simply can not describe the sound that this club makes...

I did get a chance to try out the std SQ out on the course a week ago and was quite impressed; definitely had left tendencies though and I imagine that you would grow out of it real quick. (I doubt the new Sumo has any less left tendency)

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
R35,

I make my own decisions. But I like to make informed decisions which is why I asked for opinions. Where did I say that I did not care about the opinions regarding the questions that I asked?

Scott

S,

It's obvious you have a love fest for Nike, and that's fine. But anytime someone questions your motives (which is fine too, BTW), you get defensive and make some excuse as to why.

Andy or my opinion should not shed light on your decision if you feel strongly on it. Just the same as your need for another Nike in your bag will ever get either of us to like the Sumo2.

But coming into a discussion forum where most of us have seen these questions numerous times and deny what all of us know - that golfers are fickle and the fact that there are hundreds of club manufacturers supports that - and then question our opinions by trumping them with your own isn't going to win you many battles or gain you many friends.

My advice is to go out and try the Sumo and make your decisions - just as it was before you spouted off about Andy's OPINION - nothing more.

If you'd like to make more of this, I suggest you don't. That's all I'm going to say.

R35

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
I wasn't making a joke about this. As far as this thread goes, I feel as tho I have nothing to apologize about. End of story.
R35

Your posts lately have been tough to read in that regard; just the nature of text versus spoken word. The irony holds though whether you were serious or joking. :)

For the record, aesthetics are a HUGE deal with me and the reason why it was only a month ago that I finally started playing a 460cc driver.

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
Does a carpenter buy a hammer that looks good or one that does the best job for him?

Scott

Scott, I am a carpenter, and you need both. Just like my driver. Needs to do the job and look good. Good looks give you confidence that the tool will give you a good result.

OP
W

winders

Sep 23, 2006
S,

It's obvious you have a love fest for Nike, and that's fine. But anytime someone questions your motives (which is fine too, BTW), you get defensive and make some excuse as to why.

Andy or my opinion should not shed light on your decision if you feel strongly on it. Just the same as your need for another Nike in your bag will ever get either of us to like the Sumo2.

But coming into a discussion forum where most of us have seen these questions numerous times and deny what all of us know - that golfers are fickle and the fact that there are hundreds of club manufacturers supports that - and then question our opinions by trumping them with your own isn't going to win you many battles or gain you many friends.

My advice is to go out and try the Sumo and make your decisions - just as it was before you spouted off about Andy's OPINION - nothing more.

If you'd like to make more of this, I suggest you don't. That's all I'm going to say.

R35
R35,

Love fest for Nike? No, not at all. It just happens that I when I bought my clubs, I hit the Nike products really well and liked the feel. My next set of irons will be whatever irons I happen to hit and like the feel of the best. Remember, I look at clubs as tools. However, I do find it interesting how many seem to dislike Nike golf products and for no apparent rational reason.

When have my motives been questioned before on this forum? You are grasping at straws....

Where have I tried to get you or Andy to like the Sumo2? This is from left field at best and make no sense. I don't have an opinion on the Sumo2 yet myself. I don't need another Nike in my bag. I am looking at a couple of Nike drivers that may replace a Nike driver in my bag. I will probably look at some other new non-Nike drivers as well. If another company's driver turns out to be the best for my game, that driver will end up in my bag.

Yes, I am sure you have seen similar questions many times in the past and will see them many times in the future from all kinds of people. However, I am not everyone. I said that aesthetics are not important to me so you should take that at face value and not call me a liar. If I had said that aesthetics were not important to anyone that would have been a stupid statement. But that is not what I said. Clearly some people care more for how their clubs look than how they play. Reading posts here is evidence of that.

I didn't try to trump anyone's opinion with my own. What I did was try to tell a you and Andy was that aesthetics weren't part of the equation for me. For that I get my statements labeled as stupid and I get called a liar. Nice....

I will go out and try the Sumo, Sumo2, and some other drivers as well. And I will make my own decision which was the plan all along. I just wanted to glean some wisdom from those that had some.

"If you'd like to make more of this, I suggest you don't. That's all I'm going to say."

Is this some kind of threat? Because you don't intimidate me one bit.....

Scott

OP
W

winders

Sep 23, 2006
Scott, I am a carpenter, and you need both. Just like my driver. Needs to do the job and look good. Good looks give you confidence that the tool will give you a good result.
I was a mold maker/machinist for quite a few years. The guys I apprenticed with, mostly old Germans, taught me to buy the best tools for the job. Not once did they mentioned that the tool needed to look good or look better than another tool that did the same job.

This metaphor doesn't work all that well anyway. The only reason I don't care about the aesthetics is that, to me, the vast majority of the clubs look just fine. As long as they look just fine, I focus on how they work. The square drivers don't bother me either. So, if they work better, I won't have a problem using one.

Scott

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Looks and sound mean nothing to me either. I am concerned with specs. If its square it square, if it round its round, I could care less. I want long and straight, everything else is unimportant.

OP
W

winders

Sep 23, 2006
Looks and sound mean nothing to me either. I am concerned with specs. If its square it square, if it round its round, I could care less. I want long and straight, everything else is unimportant.
LyleG,

Thanks for the support!

What kind of player is suited the Diamana Blueboard 83 g4" t stiff shaft?

Is there an issue with the tip diameter of my SQ Tour and the Sumo drivers?

Thanks,

Scott

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
I'm not trying to start a pissing contest. Its just that appearance is important to me, whether it be tools or clubs. Apparently, its not to you. Thats cool, whatever.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
LyleG,

Thanks for the support!

What kind of player is suited the Diamana Blueboard 83 g4" t stiff shaft?

Is there an issue with the tip diameter of my SQ Tour and the Sumo drivers?

Thanks,

Scott

Not really support LOL, I just have never cared what my driver has looked like. Irons I am pretty fussy, putters really fussy, but not with woods for some reason. In all honesty I actually like the looks of the square drivers.

The blueboard is a mid flight shaft with a stiffer butt and tip than the redboard (high flight), but not as stiff as the white board (low flight).

I believe the SQ tour is .335 and the non tour is .350

Status
Not open for further replies.

🔥 Latest posts