• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

sunday at the wachovia (long)

SCGolfer

Jan 12, 2007
went up yesterday to check out some golf.
stood directly behind the tee on #4 and watched ogilvy and weir hit some bombs...it was pretty incredible
hung around the first fairway for about the last 12 groups....#1 was about 400ish we stood at the landing area so you could see the green good and see the guys tee off. out of all those groups we only saw 2 birdies and most of the guys that hit driver had only about 45-50 yards to the pin. tiger hit iron off the tee and had about 110 to the green. put it on and missed the putt.
watched tiger and rory play the par 3 second and went on to #6, another par 3 and watched about the same 12 or 14 groups come by. after tiger passed we went around #10, they had a big screen up and we watched tiger eagle 7 and birdie 8. 7 is an incredible par 5 with the water down the right side and in front of the green. 8 is a very short par 4 again the guys hitting driver had half wedges into the green.
went and watched some guys go off 18 and then hung around 16 and 17 for the rest of the time we stayed. you can stand on the hill behind 16 green and see the entire 14th hole. a drivable par 4. phil put it in the fringe and only made par.

my impression of the course.......I think that is the hardest finish I have ever seen in person.....from the MEMBERS tees, I think most of us could hold our own in the first 12 holes. From 13 to the finish it got pretty nasty. You really would have to place the ball perfectly on some of the holes. We stood on the regular back tees on 17, it plays 175, all carry over the water. An unbelievable hole. And 18 is just spectacular, the landing area in the fairway is very small. Anything left is pretty much dead, and right is in the trees. The rough was very nasty, and the fairways were cut about as tight as any as I have ever seen. If Augusta National was a 10. Quail Hollow was an 8. Very very nice course, huge practice facility.

***Disclaimer -- I am in no way stating that I could even shoot a hundred as the course was setup, or from the championship tees, just stating an impression from where the members play the course. The courses I play on a regular basis do not even come close to the shape that this course is in.

Jason

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
I watched the tournament on TV and those three final holes looked absolutely brutal...probably the hardest three finishing holes I've ever seen...

The weather looked great...

Members online