• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Sunday Round

trumb1mj

Dec 19, 2007
Chicago, IL
Country
United States United States
So my golf pard ditched me on Sunday and I set out to cog hill by myself. this is nothing new to me as I often golf alone and just try and hook with randoms. this Sunday was different though.

I was grouped with 3 women. this is by no means an attack on you women out there because I have golfed with many, many great women players (both etiquette wise and skill wise). these women were in there own world though. they were drinking a lot and would not shut up on anyones address. they were disappearing for 5 minutes between holes. what really irritated me was that they were mocking me for asking for a a second of silence while i made my address and swing. I was playing really well but I felt like I was shooting a 200.

I love to have fun when golfing and this is what the game is all about. 99% of the time my random golf partners have great etiquette. this just seemed over the top. has anyone had a situation like this? how was it handled?

I really feel skill has nothing to do with whether or not you are ready to take your game to the course. you can shoot a 130 and play fast and with proper etiquette.

I feel much better after that rant!

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
Mocking you? Seriously? Wow. I'm sorry your golf was ruined by morons.

I have come to believe that alcohol and any sport, game, or sporting event do not mix. But there is too much money to be made selling the stuff for it to stop.

I would have walked back to the pro shop and asked for my money back.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
That's the pits, man. I would've told them off and played ahead with the next group or something.

Next they'll be wanting to vote. It never ends...

OP
trumb1mj

trumb1mj

Dec 19, 2007
Chicago, IL
Country
I considered it

I live in chicago and I only get out once a week. this is my time to relax and get some fresh air. I felt like I had worked an 8 hour shift after that round...

Skjay101

May 1, 2008
I had almost the same situation on friday...
The girlfriend and I were out for a casual round after work. We got out there together and there was a group of 3 kids in front of us. For a little while, the course was backed up and while the team 2 spots ahead of us were teeing off, these kids were bouncing the balls of the cart path, running around, yelling. Everyone was getting frustrated. A few holes later, while the kids were waiting to hit, they were laying down, on the fairway! then they were throwing things at each other, yelling and disrupting anyone within a 4-hole radius. I should have stopped and teach them proper golf etiquette, but I didn't have the patience. What should I have done?

David Hillman

Apr 15, 2008
I live in chicago and I only get out once a week. this is my time to relax and get some fresh air. I felt like I had worked an 8 hour shift after that round...

Me too, but I've had nothing but good luck playing as a single around here, and frequently getting 'grouped'. In fact, sometimes I enjoy playing more with people I don't know ;)

I had a somewhat similar round yesterday, but for different reasons. I got a half-off tee time at a course we've never played before, so my wife, and her dad, and step-mom and I went out in the afternoon. There was a little confusion on the first tee, because the starter waved us out without realizing a group from an adjacent fairway was 70 yards directly in front of us. He came over to the back tees where my father-in-law and I were waiting, and chatted. The group cleared our fairway, and I got ready to hit. Right in the middle of my backswing, *the starter* who is standing 8' behind me, says something to us. What the? How can you be a starter and not know golf etiquette?

So that got the round off to a bad start, but then I really got annoyed at my wife and her step-mom. Particularly the latter, for whom "ready golf" means "when I'm good and ready". We had just waited 15 minutes on the first tee, and somehow, she was surprised she'd need a club and a ball. After about five holes, I just wanted to go home. Somehow, we still kept us with the group in front of us, I think because they were putting for the Ryder Cup, while we were playing best ball and not necessarily hitting every putt.

Luckily, we got lightning'd out after 9 holes.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
Most of my rounds now are amateur tournament rounds, so everyone at least takes their golf semi-seriously.

We still get the occasional PGA Tour wannabee who reads his putts for 5 minutes.

This past Saturday I entered a tourney at the last minute and was paired with 2 really nice guys, but they were D flighters, and not real good. On the first tee, a par 5, T_____ blocks his drive into the woods and has to hit a provisional. Next, B______ hits the big ball first and the ball goes maybe 50 yards. I stripe one right down the middle 240 yards.

They both found their original balls, and both proceed to dribble their 2nd shots down to just short of my tee shot, so I still have to wait to hit. They both put their 3rd shots in the lake. They hit again and find dry land. I finally get to hit my 2nd shot 15 minutes after my tee shot. By this point I am sorry that I ever quit smoking cigarettes and I'm wondering who I would have to kill to get one.

They both missed the green with their..........wait a minute, let me think.......6th shots, and I hit a 50 yard pitch to the green. B & T chipped their 7th shots on, I missed my birdie putt, and made a par. They missed their 1st putts and picked up, as we play with a triple bogey rule, to speed play. :D

By this time we had played 1 hole in 30 minutes and we were 1 & 1/2 holes behind. The tour director came around after 5 holes and got us to speed up. T ended up shooting a 98, B a 112, and me a maddening 89.

By now I should be able to block out the stuff that makes you lose concentration during a round, but having to look for balls in the woods on almost every hole just sucks and really screws up my focus. Oh well, it wouldn't bother Tiger I'm sure.

gpo

Jun 2, 2008
I find since I am a good golfer, but play as a single most of the time and get grouped with all kinds, that walking is the best route. Most of the time I am last to hit the approach shot, so it doesn't matter if I am lagging a bit. Walking also lets you clear your head as you are not in the cart and doing the hurray up and wait thing.

OP
trumb1mj

trumb1mj

Dec 19, 2007
Chicago, IL
Country
definitely

I could have never made it on sunday if I was riding.

gpo

Jun 2, 2008

trumb1mj I am in the SW burbs of Chicago and don't have a regular group. Let me know if you ever want to play. I live 20 mins from Cog.

🔥 Latest posts