• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Sunglasses

OP
Sandpiper3

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
As for while I'm on the course, I wear the glasses at all times because the frameless design around the edges and bottom never blocks my view of the ball. The moment I put framed glasses on while playing I get screwed up; I think it is because I am so used to the frameless design rather than them actually blocking my vision.

Funny you mention the custom Gascans, piper. I've been meaning to get down to the local Oakley shop to order a pair. I'm dragging my feat because I don't know if I want the Gascan or the new Five frames. In either cause, I'm doing the crystal black frame with G30 lense and gunmetal "O".

That is exactly why I will continue wearing the half jackets golfing and wont use the gascans if im out for a serious round at all.

Go with the gascan's i'd say, a more subtle look and a lot more classy and sleek, the fives look a little weird and bulky in the front for my taste and then thin out too much. Why are you getting the G30 lense for them? Are you going to be wearing them golfing? I have the blue iridium lense which is why I went with the blue "O" and they look great.

SplooGe

Supporting Member
Jan 7, 2007
I have some prescription Armani's, tried the Oakley G30 prescriptions but my eyes couldn't adjust to the polycarbonite lenses so I returned them.

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
That is exactly why I will continue wearing the half jackets golfing and wont use the gascans if im out for a serious round at all.

Go with the gascan's i'd say, a more subtle look and a lot more classy and sleek, the fives look a little weird and bulky in the front for my taste and then thin out too much. Why are you getting the G30 lense for them? Are you going to be wearing them golfing? I have the blue iridium lense which is why I went with the blue "O" and they look great.

I find the darker lenses to be a little too dark sometimes. I did mispeak, err mistype, I'm getting the VR28 lens not the G30. I'm actually sporting the VR28 in the Half Jackets as well.

I do agree that the Five is a little bulkier in the front but the Gascan is bulkier on the side. The bulk on the side makes them look a little more trendy and that's why I'm debating (I'm also kicking around the SPIKE). I keep my glasses for a LONG time (already have had the half jackets for about four years) and so I can't got with anything too trendy. We shall see, they'll be ordered within the next couple of days... :D

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
I have had those white half jackets i pictured up there for almost two years now, and they still look in good condition and are still holding up great, I only know two other ppl with glasses other than Oakleys that have stood up that well, a friend with Maui Jim's and another with some retardedly expensive pair that I can't remember the name of. But being able to last that long with the amount I use them everyday is definitely worth 150$.

And when your blind in one eye you dont have to worry about the depth perception thing anyway ;) Also only have to clean one lense :laugh:.

I don't mean to ruffle feathers, it's just the way I see it. I had blades, then razor blades, then m-frames, then gold e-wires, then full metal jackets, then chrome e-wires, then I quit oakley for a while because I felt they were overpriced for what you get. Then I got a pair of ray bans that were VERY nice - or so I thought. One day riding my bike a lense exploded out of nowhere and actually cut my face - glad it didn't get in my eye. Ray Ban said "too bad," even though there was no impact mark anywhere on the glasses or the lense pieces (I found every piece and could put it back together like a puzzle, and you could clearly tell that the lense was under tremendous stress in the frame.) then I got a $40 pair of fossil glasses and wore them daily for 5 years. Still have them in the dash of my truck in case I forget my oakleys. Got the half jackets to give oakley another shake, plus I wanted the frameless lower to help with golf visibility as mentioned before. I've had them for just over two years (daily wear) and the arms are very loose in the frames, one O is missing, and the lower corners of the lenses has no coating on the inside where they touch my cheeks. They're good glasses, but I still contend that they're worth closer to $30 based on quality. The $40 fossils are still in better shape, but not a style condusive to sports.

Blind in one eye, huh? It's impressive that you're so good at golf. The main thing that gets me in regards to depth perception couldn't be helped by expensive lenses. It comes from catching a glimpse outside the lenses, or of the frames - quick change of focal point that messes with depth perception. I normally take my hat off for the same reason, because the bill messes with me. I think my brain and eyes work around too fast for my own good, probably the same reason I'm so hyper active and jittery.

JArmour

Go VOLS!
Jan 2, 2008
Piper, the half jacket lenses don't fit. I'm sure it's so all of us have to buy new lenses to fit in the Flak's. I don't wear the polarized ones for golf so it's only $60 but you can usually get them on ebay for a little cheaper.

OP
Sandpiper3

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Ya the eye thing is a bit tricky, its basically all feel i've learned over my life. If im having a week when im not feeling 100% or mentally im a little off, my distances go so wonky that I have to go to clock swings to maintain any sort of distance control... Some of the guys here know about it, I usually get a few "wows" when ppl find out, and ive gotten even more when people have watched me putt and chip.

chem- if you get the gascans in black, they wont go out of style. I was going to go white, but those would go out for sure, but black glasses never will.

loafer4life

Oct 24, 2007
I was an Oakley guy for quite a while. I had M-frames, e-wires and some half jackets that I loved until they got stolen. I picked up a pair of Native Silencers a couple of years ago and haven't looked back. I like the fit better than the Oakleys and I don't get any distortion from the polarized lenses.

nixdad

Mar 4, 2008
Bolle's here

I wear prescription glasses, so I searched long and hard before deciding on a set. I now own two pairs of the Bolle Parole sunglasses. This is by far, in my opinion, the best prescription insert setup. They have interchangeable lenses that come with them I got the golf lenses which consist of two brown tinted lenses. One pair is a darker brown and the other a lighter brown. I also have a dark gray lens and a clear lens. The fit of the frame is nice. They are very light weight and the arms seem to fit perfectly. I wear them all the time that I play. If it's overcast, the lighter brown lens works very good. If it's really dark, I switch to the clear lenses. The Parole sunglasses are for a somewhat narrower face. They do have the Vigilante for larger faces. Of course, you can wear the sunglasses without the prescription insert if you don't need them. When searching for the glasses, I found them very cheap on the internet. Right around $70 @ opticsplanet.net. The lenses are made of polycarbonate and protect you from UV rays.

I would highly recommend them to anyone wanting sunglasses.

goatster

SUPER SOAKER
Feb 20, 2005
i also wear oakleys.i have a pair of m frames with red iridium lenses that i have had for 3 yrs. i wear them everyday for work and play.so they have definately payed for themselves.

havent tried anything else since buying these.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
I wear Maui Jim's... Best sunglasses ever. Super light frames. Polarized, No glare, and I can see the ball easily in the sun while looking up for it.

They fit with, or without a hat. They don't even budge when I swing, and even on the top of my hat, they don't move.

Not the cheapest glasses I've ever had, but I've never had this good a pair, nor ones that have lasted this long.

Michael - AZ

Jan 4, 2009
I used to wear Oakleys, but they were a little too dark. About a year and a half ago, I switched over to Maui Jims (Makaha), and I absolutely love them. The glasses are lighter than the Oakleys, lenses are a little lighter in color, polarized, feel great and are very secure on the face. Very comfortable with a hat and they don't slip. I like them a whole lot better than the Oakleys I used to wear. While the Oakleys were not cheap, neither are the Maui Jims.

I keep them on while making all shots. No problem with depth perception. The only thing I have found is that sometimes I will take them off in order to read the breaks on the green. Maybe the polarization blocks some of the subtleties that help us (at least me) read the breaks in greens.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
I wear nothing but Oakleys.

This really, really scares me!

Although, I'm sure Claire would be saying :needpics:

I had a set of MJ's with the rose lenses...loved them! Then, I snapped the bridge in half.

Now, I'm back to wearing the cheap $19.99 ones I pick up at the pro shop.

Every time I get expensive glasses, I break them somehow. :mad:

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
This really, really scares me!

Every time I get expensive glasses, I break them somehow. :mad:

Same here...i had 1 really nice pair of glasses that i absolutely loved(no idea who made them or what they were)....three days into it i was running into class(running late as usual) and they poped off the collar of my shirt and slid along the concrete...lenses were all scratched up

I never wear sunglasses, the only time i ever wear glasses they are safety glasses while working on something or shooting

Sun doesn't bother me in the least while golfing.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Used to, never do now.

I tried the other day, hate the way it feels.

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online