• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Sunglasses

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
My understanding is that you should not use polarized glasses for playing golf becuse they mess with your depth perception. You should only use non-polarized.

I play exclusively with polarized because they make perception better and reading the green a breeze.

R35

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
United States United States
I play exclusively with polarized because they make perception better and reading the green a breeze.

R35

Oakley's G30 lenses were designed for this too. The lense color really brings out the different shades of green and supposedly, the HD technology is for depth perseption. They are not available polarized though, but they have an iridium option that helps reduce glare.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
Look for the Oakley Line.

They are expensive but without a doubt, they are the best and most diverse brand of commercial sunglasses you there.

First of all, the lens availability is huge. You can have lenses from 11-66% light blocking, different colour options for different types/colours of light, glare protection, and minimum distortion plus a complete UV protection. Warranty is wonderful (you can brake the frame 100 times in the first two years and you'll have it replaced every time for free). I've had my first pair for over 10 years now, and they still are perfect. Some like the M-Frames have interchangeable lenses in case you need different shades for different times of the day or different latitudes.

Eye wear and eye protection are things you shouldn't be cheap about. Its your vision you're protecting mate, so it is worth it.

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Sweet, thanks for the info guys...i'm going to head down to sunglass hut and figure something out

Once i figure out what i want...is it typically cheaper to buy online or just grab them at the store?

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
Sweet, thanks for the info guys...i'm going to head down to sunglass hut and figure something out

Once i figure out what i want...is it typically cheaper to buy online or just grab them at the store?

The advantage about buying at the store, if you buy Oakleys for example, is the fact the authorized dealer has to cover your warranty as well. In such way, if you have some issue like a broken frame, you don't have to send the glasses to Oakleys head quarters and then get a response on warranty and wait another two weeks for the new frame to come, but they'll have to take care of that. When you're talking about lenses which scratch easily, its much better if you manipulate them the least and don't have to send them by mail.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
Maui Jim.

I have 2 pairs of the MJ Sports, and one of the Canoes..

Best glasses ever. They last, they are light, I golf in them, fish in them and drive with them. Wouldn't ever use anything but polarized and these are some of the BEST out. Decent prices too.

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
None of the Sunglass Hut's I have been to have many options. I had to get the G30 lenses online.

Yeah, i just stopped down on lunch and they only had 2 pair of half jackets with polarized lenses, both of them had scratched lenses...

Also tried on flack jackets and one of their wired pairs(wasn't considering them for golf/softball/etc just tried them on)

Really liked the half jacket XLJ...i think i will find an online retailer...i doubt the sunglass hut would be much for customer service anyway....she didn't seem to know anything about what she was doing. Had to call someone to figure out the price on a pair of glasses for another guy...

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Maui Jim.

I have 2 pairs of the MJ Sports, and one of the Canoes..

Best glasses ever. They last, they are light, I golf in them, fish in them and drive with them. Wouldn't ever use anything but polarized and these are some of the BEST out. Decent prices too.

I'm going to try to find somewhere to try them on....but if i can't try them on i'm not sure if i could buy them without knowing how they fit...

Neither of the sunglass huts around here carry them in stock...

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Some of the Oakley's allow for easy lens swapping. I have a set of lenses I use strictly for golf, and one for everything else. Couldnt be happier with them.

johnnymo

Jun 18, 2010
I love my half jackets with the polarized black iridium lenses and highly recommend them to anybody looking for a new set of shades.

I am extremely tough on them and the lenses do not even have a scratch yet. I wear them for driving, golf, fishing, and most importantly work. I do pretty extreme tree, brush removal and fire safety maintenance for a living so you can imagine the beating that my glasses take on a daily basis.

john

goatster

SUPER SOAKER
Feb 20, 2005
i have a pair of Oakley m frames and a pair of pro m frames.that i wear and in the words of my golf partner i have a bulbous head.

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Whoops, almost forgot about this thread.

I ended up getting a pair of Oakley Half Jacket XLJ with the polarized black iridium lenses. I love them so far. Extremely light, comfortable, and do their job perfectly.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.