• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Sunset Beach Yaupon.......LaMont-Style

MannKrafted

Nov 4, 2008
For those of you who haven't had the good fortune of getting a close up look at Sunset Beach Custom Putters, here is one that I am putting together for myself. I do the custom work for Chris at Sunset Beach and it looks a little funny when I don't have one of the putters from that line in my bag, when that work is about 95% of my time, any more.
I have been busy with new customer's putters and various refinishing projects to the point that I actually had posted that my bag held a Machine Putters, Old #35. While #35 is very near and dear to my heart, it does nothing to show my work with Sunset Beach Custom Putters and just what can be done when the putter is in my shop.
Well, I took a few hours yesterday and got the ball rolling, so to speak, on my new, personal putter, a SSB Yaupon with a one-off Proto Neck.
Here are the pictures of a part-day's work and what popped out on the closing end. It is the smoothest I have put out, as far as melting the sharp edges whenever possible. The top line got the hand-crowning to start the look off right. I like a putter that flows and has nearly zero edges other than where the body rolls over to the face. I am also a fan of going a bit over the top with tricks and stuff, LMAO.
The hosel is something that started out as one and wound up as another, so here is the current version. It will wind up with 1/2 shaft offset and should weigh in at approx. 355 grams when all is said and done.
Let me know what you think and I appreciate all comments.
ai107.photobucket.com_albums_m311_golfluvzme_Sunset_20Beach_000_0035_2.jpg

ai107.photobucket.com_albums_m311_golfluvzme_Sunset_20Beach_000_0034_2.jpg

ai107.photobucket.com_albums_m311_golfluvzme_Sunset_20Beach_000_0033_2.jpg

ai107.photobucket.com_albums_m311_golfluvzme_Sunset_20Beach_000_0031_1.jpg

ai107.photobucket.com_albums_m311_golfluvzme_Sunset_20Beach_000_0030_2.jpg

Just as a sidenote.
Some of the custom work on this one may be available on putters ordered in the future, but several of the features carry an added charge, due to the time involved. Chris and I are working out the details on that, currently. He is putting out a great custom putter and trying to keep the cost at an affordable level. Some of the work on this putter could put it at a different price point and it is not completely finalized on that detail, quite yet. If it can be done, Chris is as good as they come at making it happen.
Thanks again,

LaMont in AZ
MannKrafted Golf ....... and Custom Putters, soon.
[email protected]
Sunset Beach Custom Putters
SSBeachGolf.com

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Cool.

If I was to ever recieve a custom putter like this, that would be the finish I would want. Plain Jane, but solid.

If you guys ever made a short hosel 1/2 shaft offset in this version of finish, similar to the Odyssey White Hot #2 in design, and stealthy in terms of paintfill, logos and alignment marks, I'd probably rethink my position on custom putters. I have a long standing vice against them, but it's purely personal, mostly because I'm an idiot. :D

Great work here. Keep it up, guys. Looks fantastic from this Canadian coot's point of view. :canadafla

R35

OP
M

MannKrafted

Nov 4, 2008
Cool.

If I was to ever recieve a custom putter like this, that would be the finish I would want. Plain Jane, but solid.

If you guys ever made a short hosel 1/2 shaft offset in this version of finish, similar to the Odyssey White Hot #2 in design, and stealthy in terms of paintfill, logos and alignment marks, I'd probably rethink my position on custom putters. I have a long standing vice against them, but it's purely personal, mostly because I'm an idiot. :D

Great work here. Keep it up, guys. Looks fantastic from this Canadian coot's point of view. :canadafla

R35

Hang in there and see just what pops up in the next 6 months. You just may be in for a change, LOL.
Thanks for the comments, for sure.
LaMont in AZ

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
Someone had some stamping fun, looks GREAT!

In an age of putting weight low and wide, I do find it a bit curious that you've pulled weight from, well, low and wide. Any particular reason?

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Hang in there and see just what pops up in the next 6 months. You just may be in for a change, LOL.
Thanks for the comments, for sure.
LaMont in AZ

6 months, eh? That takes me into June, prime "I finally shook the rust off from winter" time.:)

I'll be here. Hell, I'm always here. :D

R35

OP
M

MannKrafted

Nov 4, 2008
Someone had some stamping fun, looks GREAT!

In an age of putting weight low and wide, I do find it a bit curious that you've pulled weight from, well, low and wide. Any particular reason?

Chemboy,
I went to the sole for some weight reduction for a few reasons. I felt with the general mass of the putter being through the thick floor in the flange and good heft in the bumper weights, the amount that I was looking to remove, wouldn't even have a measurable effect on this head. Also, the options for getting the weight off without altering the overall look of the putter at address were very limited.
Lastly, the sole is a very easy place to work on in reducing weight, with the surface being at least somewhat flat.
The weight of this one, being a beefy 355 grams, should allow me all of the mass I am hoping for, and not be overly bulky when all is said and done.
Good point though. Makes everyone think a little bit.
Thanks,
LaMont in AZ

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
Chemboy,
I went to the sole for some weight reduction for a few reasons. I felt with the general mass of the putter being through the thick floor in the flange and good heft in the bumper weights, the amount that I was looking to remove, wouldn't even have a measurable effect on this head. Also, the options for getting the weight off without altering the overall look of the putter at address were very limited.
Lastly, the sole is a very easy place to work on in reducing weight, with the surface being at least somewhat flat.
The weight of this one, being a beefy 355 grams, should allow me all of the mass I am hoping for, and not be overly bulky when all is said and done.
Good point though. Makes everyone think a little bit.
Thanks,
LaMont in AZ

Good deal. I've seen your work on here and over @ wrx so I knew you knew what the heck you were doing; I was just curious.

It really does look great and that head weight seems pretty good to me.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Very nice. What material? Brass or copper? And not to be stupid :ugly25: but what is that cylindrical thing laying next to it? :confused: For the shaft?

(No... I don't know much about custom putters)... :)

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.