• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

SuperQuad with Epic

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I changed my mind as it looked like rain and went to the range instead.

Yes, the head is still on the shaft. Took me a few swings to get the thing turning over, remembering why I don't like 460cc's that much. Once I got it going straight it was pretty good. Higher launch than the original shaft and a little more controlled. How can I describe it... a Rombax had a baby with a Prolaunch and this is what came out. It feels very low bend to me, lower and more flex than the Diamana Red. I started hitting it good, finding the slot and the ho in me said "I'll bet I could hit a Burner TP in an 8.5* with this shaft".
icon10.gif
I was hitting them high and long with a slight draw for about 20-25 in a row, dead up the middle. It was a little windy and I couldn't really get an accurate guage but I'd say on a slighty off strike it's like my 3W piped and on a flush hit it's 15yds. longer but almost entirely carrying there.

I'm not totally wild about the combo but we'll see. The good thing is I can mess around with the weights now to try to get it a bit lower and turning itself over. I should be able to just go 14,1,1,8 heel to toe now. Stupid me, I forgot to bring my wrench and weights.

There was some kid there with a coach and a TM staff bag with his name on it. He was swearing up a storm and really starting piss me off. I gave him a few dirty looks and slammed the door to the booth while he was in midswing when I finally decided it was time to move elsewhere. How are you going to go to a $hit range hitting beat down Top-Flites talking loud and swearing like a total jerk? Any "real" player would be hitting some decent balls at a nicer range. Had I known for sure he was over 18 (and I don't think he was) I would have said "You mind shutting the F*** up while I'm trying to hit here". I just went over to the grass area and it took a little while to settle down and start swinging in sync. I liked it a lot better hitting off a real tee vs. the rubber range crap. Plus when I started hitting irons they were fat at first. I wouldn't have been able to tell on the mats.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
I love my 425 r7 and have been admittedly drooling over the SuperQuad. Thanks to Rock's recommendation, I tried the ProLaunch Blue shaft with it and its super for me...

Also Golf Digest just rated the SuperQuad above two others in their most recent test...I love the traditional look of it.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I am sooo thinking about taking the grip off, lopping off a 1/2" and loading her up wit a little more weight. Problem is I'd rather take the 1/2" off the tip. I'll trade it straight up for a 42.75" or longer Redboard 63-S.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Here's some pics....

Looking mean as a MoFo. :)

SE1.jpg

And I didn't do too bad on the ferrule turning either. Thanks Rock and Lyle, couldn't have done this without you guys.
icon13.gif

ferrulegood.jpg
SE1.jpg
ferrulegood.jpg

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Nice work for your first time around.

If you end up pulling that Epic, I know a guy that might want to give it a go....:laugh:

R35

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Nice work for your first time around.

If you end up pulling that Epic, I know a guy that might want to give it a go....:laugh:

R35

Even if I pull it on my stove?
icon10.gif

I hit a lot of good, accurate drives with it so just need some more time to hit it and mess around with the weights a bit. I was over in the grass and aiming diagonally at a "green", they are mounds about the size of my kitchen so like about 15-20ft. around? Anyway I hit at this one about 10 times and put it on 3. The last one I hit it with was a slight fade I set up for and it nearly hit the stick. I have no clue how far it was to it though. Basically just looking for the accuracy. I know that the ball will explode off the face if I hit it on center. I think I left this thing too long though. Sitting next to my old 360XD it's like a half inch longer and that was the longest driver by far comparing it to others.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Definitely going to have to change the weights around. I hit this thing very, very high and losing distance and accuracy. Driving was way off today. I'm going to try to set it up lower launch. I'll give it some time but this shaft is way, way different from what I thought it would be. Can't believe how noodly it feels. I was expecting something in between a Blue and an NT. This is like the Prolaunch.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
The Epic is HIGH launch and LOW spin. It's doing exactly what it should.

WHat exactly did you expect it to do? The Blue and the NT are mid-low launch and mid spin, the RL Red is low launch low spin.

R35

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I did not know all this. I'd bet I'm getting upwards of 4500rpms out of it. The thing just climbs and drops. I hit one drive today that was about 10yds. deeper than my 3W distance. All others were short of it.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
The shaft is designed for guys that need help getting it up but want the consistency of a steel shaft while getting the low weight of a graphite.

I guess Tiger has one at XX flex. I bet he'd need it, but he does play the Diamana Blue.

R35

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
United States United States
Ez, I found that I got the same launch as the Diamana Red and the Epic, but the Epic had a lower spin rate. I find the Epic to be a bit more of a control shaft rather than a bomber's shaft.

Incidently, I should be getting a few Diamanas in next week from my friend, I'll let you know what shows up if the Epic still doesn't suit your fancy. Rock, the Epic will most likely be pulled from my SuperQuad in favor of a Whiteboard at that time, so if you are interested in the Epic, that should be available as well.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Ez, I found that I got the same launch as the Diamana Red and the Epic, but the Epic had a lower spin rate. I find the Epic to be a bit more of a control shaft rather than a bomber's shaft.

Incidently, I should be getting a few Diamanas in next week from my friend, I'll let you know what shows up if the Epic still doesn't suit your fancy. Rock, the Epic will most likely be pulled from my SuperQuad in favor of a Whiteboard at that time, so if you are interested in the Epic, that should be available as well.

Available, eh? Hmm. The TEE is drying with the Saber Tour as I type this, it might be time to yank that in favour of the Epic...

What's the length (playing)?

R35

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005

What Diamanas? Red? :)

🔥 Latest posts

Members online