• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Swallowed my pride...a little

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
So, about a month ago I had one of the worst rounds ever. I topped every shot off the tee and hit a lot of fat/thin iron shots. Even my putting which is usually my strong point gave me fits. I decided that while my swing was crap my equipment was to much for me. I had a TEE head with a V2 shaft that I could not square, tip section to stiff. My hybrids, well thats a never ending saga in itself.

I sold all, I mean ALL, of my woods on ebay and started over.

I now have a 10.5* R7 425TP on the way. I intend to pull the shaft and put a YS-6 into it, a nice mid launch smooth swinger (from what I have read) shaft. I have a Maltby 3w that is one of the more forgiving out there and also a Hogan CFT Ti hybrid that is impossible for me to hit bad.

I have imposed a HO'ing ban on myself until I can consistently shoot in the 80's- cause its the arrow not the indian right?
icon10.gif

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
This is a good decision. I got honest with myself earlier this year and took a hard look at the clubs in my bag. Clubs that didn't perform (because they were too much for me to handle) got pulled and replaced by something more appropriate (eg. Sonartec MD out, G10 hybrid in).

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
This is a good decision. I got honest with myself earlier this year and took a hard look at the clubs in my bag. Clubs that didn't perform (because they were too much for me to handle) got pulled and replaced by something more appropriate (eg. Sonartec MD out, G10 hybrid in).

Did you change your irons as well?

I love the look of the Hogan Apex FTX, but not being able to play more the 2-3 times per month with no practice....

Thinking of something more forgiving.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
The Apex FTX line is generally considered a players' cavity back. That said, I'm a hacker and I like the looks of them so much that I play them too. :D

My rationale is that that teeny weeny cavity has got to make them more forgiving than my other Hogans, the Apex muscleback blades. Yeah, right.

Honestly, if I get a little extra coin, I may build a set of the Acer irons, probably the XP 905 Pro. The Acer XWS I built for the GF are about the easiest to hit irons I have ever swung.

And they are cheap to build, so a little experimenting money can go a long way.

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
Did you change your irons as well?

I love the look of the Hogan Apex FTX, but not being able to play more the 2-3 times per month with no practice....

Thinking of something more forgiving.

Okay, here's what I left out on my first reply.

Yes. I had two sets of irons that I couldn't decide between, my PINGs and some KZG Evolutions (CB - MB combo set). I loved the look and feel of the KZGs but the PINGs weren't that far off in either category and were so much better suited to me (a little more bounce, a little more cavity, and a ton more forgiving). Because of all this the KZGs were sold and I've not looked back.

I mentioned the changing of the 21* hybrids but there was actually more to it. For the longest time I carried two hyrbids (19* & 23*) and a single fairway wood (15*). After playing around with different combinations I ended up replacing the 23* hybrid with a super GI 4i and then split the 19* hybrid into a 18* 5W and 21* hybrid.

Of course adding a club and the top end of the bag meant a change was needed at the bottom end as I carried four wedges (46/50/54/58). I often found myself around the green with too many options with this combo. In order to simplify my greenside play I dropped the 46 & 50 and went with a 48. I also went with a higher bounce 54 wedge and a lower bounce 58. This meant each was a little more specialized and meant the lie would clearly dictate which club I need to grab.

After all these changes took place I found my tee to green game improved dramatically. As time has gone on and I've gotten to really know and get comfortable with the changes things just keep improving. This however did point out that my putter, which I thought was as strength, was actually costing more strokes than I realized. So, the last change I did (a few months back now) was shelve the Newport 2 in favor for a White Hot Tour #5.

Looking back at all these changes makes me realize just how severe they were but my game was going in the wrong direction. These changes, while difficult to make because my bag doesn't look as "cool", have got my game to a whole new level (along with a ton of practice and swing work). Those Hogan irons are goreous but they are certainly more playa cavity than GI. If you're not playing/practicing regularly then I woud recommend finding something more forgiving.

🔥 Latest posts