• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Swing advice, really?

295yards

May 5, 2009
I'm not complaining as I apprciate what some people are trying to do, and that is mostly help.

Admittedly, I am stubborn and do not particularily think random advice should be thrown around.

My scenario is that my ballstriking has suffered immensely as of late. I mean terrible!

Until lately I have not really even been a golfer but more of a ballstriker. I would prefer to spend time on the range hitting balls on the TrackMan. After years of this and understanding my flight tendancies and I was able to go out and shoot a semi decent score.

Somehow, and this is very surreal to me. I hit some type of pinnacle. I went out and shot an amazing 67 with two bogeys on a tight 6700 yard course I never played before.

Every part of my game was on, except for one of the bogeys on a par 5 with only 200 left and barely missing the green in two. The other bogey was not anything bad IMO.

Right after that I went and shot a 93, but have only slipped and slipped some more, but not just my scoring. My ballstriking is terrible!!!

I cannot hit driver at all and I've hit 15 shanks in a row with my wedges. Litterally in one day out of 200 shots or more I never hit one that resembled any avg. shots I typically hit on a usual day.

Anyways at the start of another day and giving myself some time to get back into my swing I started off actually making good contact and distance.

I worked my up to driver and the same, good contact and decent distance but I was spraying the ball crazy.

I DID NOT CARE.

My expectations were low and happy my swing started actually "feeling" okay.

Anyways one guy continues to watch me over and over commenting on how far I hit it, ( even though I'm still 30 yards shorter ). He even has me hit his driver!

Okay?

Well I straightened it all out that day and felt like I was swinging well and on the road to some sort of recovery.

My shots were okay long and straight in play.

He comes back and decides to break my swing down and insists I swing a certain way to make him happy.

Well, I very kindly expressed I had some issues I was working on and did not want to complicate my swing with anymore thoughts but I would consider his suggestion once I freed up some other swing thoughts as there were too many.

I was kind, smiled when I talked and even said take care when he left later.

The next time I saw him he did not say hi and whispered something to his friend while looking over at me. They both carefully watched and I went about my business.

Whatever? I'm okay, if he wants to be an A55. But are people that hell bent on other people smoothing their ego with ill informed swing advice?

In another situation where I wasn't contemplating snapping each club in my bag from pure frustration I would have kindly obligued his advice.

But this time I cannot afford to take advice from everyone who throws advice around like it was free gold. I am in fix mode and seemingly at this time making head way and I really felt his advice was not technically sound and seemed off base at best.

There is no way he read me. I was kind! I even joked my swing was so far off that starting in a better address would throw off all my compensations I had in my swing right now.

I want to be nice and have people feel helpful. But right now I cannot afford bad advice!

I will not quit but the urge is there!

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
I never... EVER... EVER... EVER!!!! Offer swing advice to someone who doesn't ask for it. Sure if mmy buddies and I are playing and one blocks it right I might pop off "little late there huh Dave?" But that's more just giving him shit that anything.

But I'm with ya... for the most part I don't want your advise unless I ask for it.

I did make one exception one time... our club champion for the 11th year in a row gave me a tip a few months back when we were playing together... I listened :tongue:

OP
295yards

295yards

May 5, 2009
I never... EVER... EVER... EVER!!!! Offer swing advice to someone who doesn't ask for it. Sure if mmy buddies and I are playing and one blocks it right I might pop off "little late there huh Dave?" But that's more just giving him shit that anything.

But I'm with ya... for the most part I don't want your advise unless I ask for it.

I did make one exception one time... our club champion for the 11th year in a row gave me a tip a few months back when we were playing together... I listened :tongue:

I'm not even upset when someone gives advice, but when they insist repeatedly you should be doing something particular...

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Did you knife him in the thigh? In my experience that distracts a person enough to stop their;

1.) Unwanted advice
2.) Nagging
3.) Heartbeat

Side effects include amputation and death; a small price to pay for silence!

gwlee7

Ho's from Rocky Mount, NC
Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2005
I'll ask "Mr. Advice" what he shot the last time he played and if he's better than me I'll say "I'm not good enough to work on that yet" and if he's worse than me I'll ask him if he wants to put up the title of his car in a freindly little match.

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
United States United States
I only give advice when I am on the course to someone who is taking a playing lesson from me, or if one of my friends asks me.

OP
295yards

295yards

May 5, 2009
Did you knife him in the thigh? In my experience that distracts a person enough to stop their;

1.) Unwanted advice
2.) Nagging
3.) Heartbeat

Side effects include amputation and death; a small price to pay for silence!

The last time I stabbed a man it cost me a fortune in legal bills and I still had to do some time :emot-angel:

OP
295yards

295yards

May 5, 2009
I'll ask "Mr. Advice" what he shot the last time he played and if he's better than me I'll say "I'm not good enough to work on that yet" and if he's worse than me I'll ask him if he wants to put up the title of his car in a freindly little match.

No, I don't deal with people like that!

I never get too upset over anyone giving me advice, especially if it is something I cannot see with my own eyes.

In this particular situation I knew how my set up was in comparison to what he was suggesting, and I just could not fathom how he thought what he did.

Either way I was respectful to him and he went away upset I never took his advice, thats what I find really baffling.

Phana24JG

Phana24JG
Nov 10, 2009
Somehow, and this is very surreal to me. I hit some type of pinnacle. I went out and shot an amazing 67 with two bogeys on a tight 6700 yard course I never played before.

Every part of my game was on, except for one of the bogeys on a par 5 with only 200 left and barely missing the green in two. The other bogey was not anything bad IMO.

Right after that I went and shot a 93, but have only slipped and slipped some more, but not just my scoring. My ballstriking is terrible!!!

Anyways one guy continues to watch me over and over commenting on how far I hit it, ( even though I'm still 30 yards shorter ). He even has me hit his driver!

Okay?

Well I straightened it all out that day and felt like I was swinging well and on the road to some sort of recovery.

My shots were okay long and straight in play.

......................He comes back and decides to break my swing down and insists I swing a certain way to make him happy.

Well, I very kindly expressed I had some issues I was working on and did not want to complicate my swing with anymore thoughts but I would consider his suggestion once I freed up some other swing thoughts as there were too many.

I was kind, smiled when I talked and even said take care when he left later.

The next time I saw him he did not say hi and whispered something to his friend while looking over at me. They both carefully watched and I went about my business.

Whatever? I'm okay, if he wants to be an A55. But are people that hell bent on other people smoothing their ego with ill informed swing advice?

In another situation where I wasn't contemplating snapping each club in my bag from pure frustration I would have kindly obligued his advice.

But this time I cannot afford to take advice from everyone who throws advice around like it was free gold. I am in fix mode and seemingly at this time making head way and I really felt his advice was not technically sound and seemed off base at best.

There is no way he read me. I was kind! I even joked my swing was so far off that starting in a better address would throw off all my compensations I had in my swing right now.

I want to be nice and have people feel helpful. But right now I cannot afford bad advice!

I will not quit but the urge is there!

I have to nominate you for Sportsman of the Year. If I ever shot a 67 on a real golf course, and followed it up with a 93, there would be two dead neighbors, one tortured and decapitated City Assessor, one dead divorce attorney and me off the TappanZee Bridge.

🔥 Latest posts