• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Swing building

Stanters

Trinket King
Reaction score
I've been looking at my swing again and I still have some basic flaws.

1. Reverse pivot
2. Inside take away
3. No/mimimal wrist cock
4. Address position too upright - back not straight enough.

Probably others but these are the 4 I want to fix first. I think they all interlink well and if I can just incorporate some wrist cock into my backswing it will help me to keep on plane going up and stop my hips from swaying backwards.

Here I am dtl and front on

Front: SwingAcademy.com

You can see the reverse pivot and stiff wrists here.

DTL: SwingAcademy.com

Inside take away very obvious that leads to a throw at the top to get back on plane. This effects my balance.

So, I will work on more wrist cock and a better take away to keep me on plane and help with balance. I'll also work on the hip slide and try and get rid of it by being less active in my legs on the way back.

I think the downswing/impact part of my swng is ok and should be more sold if I get the above fixed or at least improved.

Any thoughts? I'd appreciate any feedback from anyone, if you see something I have missed please fire away.

Good work. I'd recommend getting into a "reverse K" setup. Bump the lead hip forward at adress and maintain it through the swing. That should help eliminate the sway and overactive lower body movement. Let the right hip feel it's turning by your right butt cheek turning towards the target. On the downswing feel the left hip rotating left. Basically what I see is setup that is too hunched over and a lower body moving laterally vs. rotationally.... now let me look that DTL.
icon10.gif

Good news. Your DTL is not looking all that bad at all. It's primarily your lower body that's the issue. Work on the setup, spine angle, getting the hips over the bent knees (athletic position) and you'll be looking pretty good. The OTT move is very slight and caused by that right leg straightening out IMO. Your plane on the backswing is inline with your shoulder plane, which is good and the clubface is pretty square but starts to shut with that last little move at transition, which I believe is a change in spine angle caused by a combo of the leg straightening, excessive lateral hip move and less than optimal setup. Let me look up a few things I have. One is the "Faldo drill" which will help you get a feel for setting the club and using the torso to turn. Also I'll get a side by side of you and a frame of Adam Scott. I've got a good one of him that really shows a perfect setup of spine angle, hips, knees and feet.

Faldo drill

"Great one is what I call the "Faldo drill" as he was the first player I've ever saw doing it (it's MY understanding that John Geertson "invented it").@ the Open Championship in 87' at Muirfield..........IMOP it's more of a good player drill though.......certainly not a TRUE 'beginner" drill........

Set a club down on the "far" side of the ball and parallel to the target line............set another on your "toe line" that is also parallel to the target line...........

- Then set up normally.........NOTE where the "split between your hands is in relation to your sternum (for use later )

- Then "cock the club UP in front of you" without your arms moving at all.........the clubhead will simply work vertically......

- Then rotate the left arm so that the right arm "folds" and the shaft is parallel to the shaft on your toe line and to the target line..........NOTE, make SURE the "split" is still in the same relationship to your sternum as it was in your original address position........the butt of the club will be closer to the target and your left arm will be further from your chest, but, the EXTREME upper arm/ARMpit area will remain the same......same "connected" feeling....

then, SIMPLY TURN BACK AND TURN THROUGH with NO manipulation of the arms/club......NONE......ZERO........

This drill, peformed properly, is the absolute BEST at ingraining the feeling of the arms/core being synchronized...........it won't work if your fundamentals/set up are fouled up, but, given solid fundamentals and SET UP it will work like a charm and produce FANTASTIC results/shots........."

Here's the side by side with Adam Scott. SwingAcademy.com

I'm also going to put an analysis in on the DTL to explain a drill I work on. Primarily for inside takeaway and a connected backswing.

OK - bit of work done and this is where I am at now. Some improvement I think, especially on the backswing and I have been much more accurate as result.

Any thoughts are welcomed

target
SwingAcademy.com

Front
SwingAcademy.com

Try working with a glove under your left armpit. I still see some disconnection, a fairly armsy swing. Using the glove forces the arms to work with the torso and really get a rotational torso and shoulder turn. Yours looks to be working a bit lateral, leading to a lean forward at the top. Looking pretty good so far but you'll be able to add loads more power to it.

The forum edits C0CK! That hilarious!

Edits ****? Well, I'll be a son of a bitch. I wonder what else it edits... shit, dickhead , *******, mother****er, donkeydick.

Looking at the video i see something similar to a stack and tilt idea, with the hands tracking slightly inside and the weight staying centralised to maybe slightly left bias, it is very apparent at impact whereby your hips are virtually in their start position, you get trapped left on the way down and have to use the arms to create speed.

For a tall guy, your legs and arms are the creators of power in your swing, and they are not working effectively, not getting the weight into the right side is killing your swing, you should be feeling tension in your right thigh at the top but i bet you are feeling it in your left knee and hip, a good drill for feeling what you should is to kneel down on the floor, grip a club down the shaft and then make a back-swing and because your hips are resisting you will then feel your stretch that you should be at the top of your swing.

Your path has improved from your first videos, it is the case that it is a mainly an arms swing at the moment where your inconsistency is coming from.

Four Magic Moves lesson package helped me (but some of it is BS). Especially the wrist part and getting away from an armsy swing. Cheap too.

:thumbs up:

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,420