• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Swing changes : anyone else stink after them ?

Mystery man

Major winner
Phucknugget
Nov 10, 2013
Country
India India
Haven't posted here in almost 2 years. Glad to see this site is still going strong and all. Just completed a major swing change in person and my scores just stink. Last year I was high 70 low 80's, now it is 90 or higher. Been doing this for a year and I'm progressively getting worse. Tops/fats/ duck hooks .. All except the shank. Anyone else to thru this ? How long before you gave up and went back to how you swung before ?

It's almost comical in a depressing way how bad I have gotten.

MattyB

Not a sheep shagger.
Supporting Member
Dec 30, 2012
Country
New Zealand New Zealand
It's the equipment. Trust me.
On that note, I've got a set of mizzy jpx 800 pro irons, they'll fix everything! Trust me! :p

But on a serious note, I'd say a fix with that much practice time should've helped more than hindered?

Anders_H

mmmm, beer
Mar 12, 2015
Gavle
Country
Sweden Sweden
If you shoot in the 70's, no point in making a major change if it's not because of a physical problem. Minor tweaks should be enough..

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I never have changed my total swing. If I'm interested in trying something (grip change, etc) I'll go play a round by myself. If it doesn't immediately help it goes in the trash can. I've done this my whole life and learned many things about my swing and what works best for me. I've actually got a better swing then I've ever had, just not the athleticism to hit it as long but I hit it much straighter.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
I don't necessarily agree with Anders. I guess if you're content shooting 8- 10 over there is no reason to improve. If you're striving to get to scratch or at least improve then you quite possibly need to look at your swing. Maybe your swing is sound and you just need to improve your short game, that's for you to decide. I made an extreme swing overhaul several years ago and it was brutal, but it's the best thing I could've ever done.

Don't get discouraged, Mystery man. If you make swing changes and your game doesn't go in the gutter, then you probably didn't change much. In my case, I knew my swing was not fundamentally sound. I had a 10 finger grip that was ridiculously strong. I was lifting my lead foot during the backswing like I was playing baseball. If that wasn't bad enough, my plane was steep and way OTT. I hit a bazillion balls during that period. It took over 2 years for me before I was back to shooting decent scores and I fully committed to the swing change. It's easy to go back to your old habits because it feels comfortable. Fight that urge and have faith in your new swing. I fought it out and it honestly took my game to the next level.

Nowadays, I never go to the range because I'm too busy. My only practice is short game in my back yard and I'm still able to shoot better scores than I ever did before my swing overhaul. Once your mind and muscles learn the swing, they don't forget. It's like riding a bike.

My advice, continue to commit to your swing changes. If you work hard, it will pay off.

Last edited:

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
Yep.

tiger-frustrated.jpg

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
Well, Mystery man's personal details do say "Major winner", so maybe he shouldn't change a good thing, like Tigs and Paddy did.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
One of my favorite Harvey Pennick quotes: "You take one Aspirin, not the whole bottle." Too many people try to totally remake their swings. We weekend hackers don't have a repeating swing week to week, day to day, and even swing to swing. Rather than taking "one Aspirin" and looking at fixing a minor swing flaw, we swallow the entire bottle and become totally lost.
We have seen some of the world's greatest golfers make swing changes and lose their ability to compete. Those pros are utilizing some of the best swing coaches money can buy. An amateur will go to a local pro and firmly believe that person can remake his/her swing and suddenly he/she will take strokes off their game. In most cases, won't happen!!! If it were me, I'd try to get back to where I was before ingraining a host of bad swing flaws that will take years to work through. Once back to the "old" you, they attempt to make minor changes to heal the small hiccups and gain a stroke of two with "each Aspirin".

OP
Mystery man

Mystery man

Major winner
Phucknugget
Nov 10, 2013
Country
India India
I think I'm going to stick with it until the snow falls. Then I promise I will report back on the results

I'm wondering if my outlook will change?

Any bets ??

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Arnie knew a thing or two. Then when that failed he had an army to kick his ball back to the fairway.
ImageUploadedByShot Talk1440072564.291690.jpg

Prdfew

Aug 5, 2015
Country
I've been experimenting with the "square to square" swing method. Results are fairly positive.

Members online