• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Swing Clinic

Bama Duffer

Mar 14, 2005
A couple of weeks ago, I got an email notice that our local Trent Jones course was conducting a free swing clinic. I signed up. Yesterday, I got a call from the course letting me know that the class for the clinic consists of one.

Yep, I was the only taker. Instead of cancelling the clinic, the pro offered me a free one-on-one lesson instead. SI'm going this Saturday, camcorder in tow to record the lesson.

I've had a few lessons on my full swing, so I'm thinking of narrowing the scope of the lesson, if he gives me the chance. What aspect of your game would you work on if you had a free lesson fall into your lap?

Or should I just stick with a full swing overview?

Suggestions?

15andlife

Pulaski Golf Rocks!!
May 20, 2006
In all honesty for me it would be my iron play recently my play off the tee has been pretty good but I feel that it does nothing if you can't hit the green on the next shot. So personally I would be working on mid-long irons. But thats me and maybe mid-long irons are one of your strong points. idk

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
Full swing, preferably driver.
A good swing will fit all club.
The driver is IMHO important because a good drive sets up for good iron play.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Short game...or better yet ask him about a series of two additional lessons after your free one where you will work on full swing over a period of three months.

This is the best thing I ever did - get a series of lessons over months with practice and play in between...

OP
Bama Duffer

Bama Duffer

Mar 14, 2005
Did I Just Gain . . .

15 yards with my irons?

Interesting golf weekend for me. Took the lesson. Decided to let the instructor determine what I needed to work on. In looking over my last scorecards, where I'm really falling short is in GIR. I only hit a few of these each round.

We worked on my 6 iron. He made a few adjustments. Said my mechanics were good, but there was no pop in my ball. Moved the ball back in my stance. Told me to swing harder, not softer. Worked some on my swing plane. The ball was flying off the club, and pretty consistent dispersion pattern.

At one point I asked him the distance to the flag. About 190. My ball was falling a tad short of that, but in the 170 - 180 range, and I normally hit my 6 iron about 160. I wasn't sure about that, so after the lesson, I returned to the spot and used the range finder. Most of my shots had ended up about 175 yards.

A gain of 15 yards.

The guy seemed to know what he was talking about. Had a good way of describing things and wasn't shy about having my alter my swing.

Now to the course. My average score is 95. Rarely seems to vary. I may have a round with 9 pars and three birdies, but something is going to drive my score up to 95.

I played Sunday. Distances with my irons were probably about 10 yards longer than normal. Great, right? But I couldn't drive or putt. I had 41 putts, about 10 more than my normal round. What did I end up shooting?

A 95.

It was an odd round for me, though. Normally driving and putting are not a real problem. I'm no expert, but I usually either hit fairways, or I'm just off. And, like I say, I putt in the low 30's. I'm anxious to see if I can use this new iron swing in a round where my other clubs are working normally.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. And, Bravo, I did talk with him about taking a series of lessons. I will probably follow up with him.

OP
Bama Duffer

Bama Duffer

Mar 14, 2005
Thanks. I seem to have a 10-stroke swing in my scoring. I can shoot in the 80's, but I'm also capable of shooting over 100.

🔥 Latest posts