• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Swing Epiphany...

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
I realized that on my backswing, I was rotating the club clockwise on the way back.

I was doing this without even realizing it. I naturally was hinging my wrists on the backswing early on.. I started doing it because of my lack of rotating, and by turning the club in my hands like that on the swing, it FELT like I was turning fully. By turning my left hand over at the start of the backswing, I was really jacking up the face of the club on the downswing and fighting like crazy to get it back square. Which is why I can never hit a draw with my driver. Ironically, I don't do this often with my irons, which I CAN hit a baby draw.

By setting up closer to the ball, my left wrist should be "set" throughout the swing. On the backswing, if I just rotate fully, and keep the feeling of my left arm coming across my body, the wrist was set, and I wasn't opening the club up with my hands on the backswing.

Which seeminly... fixed the sudden problems I've had with slicing, or jacking up my swing and hitting things fat.

Now to work on not dropping my shoulder.

The only reason I came to this today, happened because I was thinking about when I first started playing. I didn't have much trouble hitting it straight generally.. just getting it up in the air, and getting it to go farther. I was really rigid, and took the club out really wide, didn't bring it up enough, and then just shot back with no lag, no turn, nothing..

I needed to do the same with my hands that I did when I was learning..

Now I can turn my hands over and assure that atleast when the club comes back I have a better chance of closing it up, instead of really trying hard to turn it over to close it up and getting "handsy".

Damn this game!

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
It's called "fanning the club". I'm sure I'd put something about that in your other thread. I was doing the same thing and was told to take the club back in one piece, let shoulder rotation open it up. I take it straight back square on the targetline as far as I possibly can.

🔥 Latest posts