• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Swing faults

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
if you have them yet play well should you be worried?

is it mandatory for the club to come back down on the same plane that you had on the backswing or can it be pulled off consistently with success

if i used to overswing but have shortened it b/c it needed to be done, what negative short term effects could it have on my game until i get used to it?

i'd get my swing up here but i don't have a current one on film and have had problems getting one up here in the bast

thanks

nsherman2006

Jan 4, 2005
I think all that matters is consistent impact position. I was messing around a few weeks ago and found a picture perfect swing. But in order to creat this swing, i lost a ton of distance. So i went back to my swing, which is a grooved, over the top swing. I crush the ball with a draw. I dont see any reason to start playing the good looking swing when i get better results with my natural swing. JMO

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
How do you manage to get a crushed draw with an OTT swing, N?

I'm not doubting you, I'm just wondering how you manage it...

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
Had this conversation about which swing flaws to worry about with my Pro yesterday. I come OTT, and have a late release. As a teacher, I played almost every day in August & I could hit fairways very well. Over the last few months my game has deteriorated because I didn't play often enough to keep timing together.

On the range, I'll hit a few bad ones then can hit consistent 250 yards. On the course, I don't get a couple of drives before they count.

If you play often enough, and are hitting the ball well you'll have no problem because you've got the timing down. If your timing isn't perfect, you'll be erratic.

nsherman2006

Jan 4, 2005
Silver, i release through the ball like crazy. I dont really close the face, that causes snap hooks when i do. But if i'm sleeping in the AM, i tend to get lazy and slice the ball, but once i wake up and get the release going, i draw the ball. It baffled a friend of mine who's a plus 3 handicap how i can do it, but i do. I leave the face open at impact then snap it aggressively, so my shots usually start off just right of target and draw in on a good swing

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
I've never seen an OTT swing able to draw the ball either?? Seen lots of pulls or pull fades, but no draws.

Farquod

Short Game Tragedy
Mar 8, 2005
He can do it if he swings out to out, never coming inside, with the clubhead neutral to a touch closed.

He should get the occasional sh*nk with this path, tho. Yes or no, Neal?

Maverick

*mmuah*
Mar 23, 2005
Youngun5 said:
if you have them yet play well should you be worried?

I guess if you plan on pursuing higher levels of play..but if you're happy and it works..you know how the saying goes.

I saw my ball path on the computer for the first time a few months ago. I thought I was hitting them pretty square but the monitor said I was still slightly out to in..close..but still. Maybe that's why I hit cuts mst of the time..I honestly feel more comfortable when addressed slighlty open compared to square or closed. I good buddy of mine, accomplished player..hits 1 or 2..says that most pro's line up open also..hmm..

nsherman2006

Jan 4, 2005
Farquod's got it. I get the shanks every now and then, and i have to release the club very hard to get the draw. If my hands aren't right, i fade the ball

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Its the flight of the ball that matters,use that to determine whether you need to correct something in the swing

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
Look at the guys on the Champions Tour.
These guys don't have a pretty swing. but it works.
Jim Thorpe, Trevino and Fuzzy Zoeller comes to mind.

🔥 Latest posts