• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Swing keys from Bobby Jones....

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I was watching a bit of the Bob Hope today and made it my goal to watch the guys hitting shots how they kept their heads before, during and after impact and the result of each. I got a scribble pad and a pencil and kept a crude chart.

This all started with watching Bobby Jones. The man has the best swing. It's like butter.

I keyed into his head motion - or lackthereof - during his swing. From address his head doesn't move until right as the ball is making contact with the face of the club, where his head moves towards the target on a horizontal plane with the ground. That way, he doesn't "take a peek" when hitting the ball, and comes out of the zone. I just stared at this man who had incredible control over this pheonomenon.

I then watched the PGA. Out of every shot hit right/pushed guys either came out early with their heads and pushed it. And pulls were from dropping the head through impact.

I took this new found sense of "knowledge of the swing" and took it to the indoor net to work on ball striking, paying close attention to the head movement. After about 20 balls, I had it nailed down.

I'm puring just about every shot now it seems. Something as simple as keeping that head still, with the swing and under control is so unbelievably important, yet many don't realize this. I can't stress this enough.

Forget your arm being straight, balance, all that garbage. It's all about keeping the head still, making a good power hip turn and keeping control of your swing path.

I was playing pretty well at the end of last year, but this has been such an eye opener for me, I feel almost reborn with my swing now. I'm gonna wear out this forged head in no time.

R35

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
I've told this here or at GR....

Nicklaus' first teacher was a guy named Jack Grote. According to Nicklaus, it was Grote who taught him the nuts and bolts fundamentals of playing golf well.

Nicklaus tells the story of how Grote taught him to keep his head still.

They would go to the range and Grote would stand facing Nicklaus and hold him by the hair while he hit a bucket of balls.

After having a sore head for awhile - apparently Nicklaus learned to keep his head still.

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
I was working on this the last time I was at the range. You're right that quality contact seems to have almost everything to do with keeping the head still through contact.

I've also found this to be true with putting as well. I started keeping my head still until I hear the ball fall in the cup on anything under 6 feet. A little tough to get used to but it works.

Rock, I like your new signature, but why aren't the stores stocking the Blues?

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I dunno about the Blues, Dave.

I spoke with the guy at the shop that deals directly with the Rep, he said that they've ordered Blues and Reds for this year, as well as Hots as a promo thing.

He gave me the skinny, that the Hot has a different cover than the Blues and Reds, it's a little more resilient, and has much less spin off the driver.

In other words, it goes far and straight and doesn't want to be worked left to right or vixe versa. Basically, a game improvement players ball. So, it doesn't approach the class of the Blue or Red series. It's sorta like the Titleist Solo ball equivalent.

Must just be a coincidence that the shops around are out. Cleaned out at X-mas maybe.

R35

grazo

slacker hacker
Aug 31, 2004
How Retief learnt to keep his head still...

Have you heard how Retief learnt to keep his head still?

Apparently his dad was quite the taskmaster and made a contraption that young Retief would strap to his head that would prevent him from turning his head at all throughout the swing...

If you look at Retief now he barely moves his head... I'd hate my dad for life for that one though...

BTW, keeping my head still does not work for me, because I find it makes me keep all my weight on the left side going back - a classic reverse pivot move.

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Interesting.

I thought about that when I was giving it a go, it never seemed to bother me.

I think that before this "enlightenment" came to me, I didn't move my head much to begin with so it's a more natural movement for me than it would be for someone that's a little more "noggin noddin".

I guess what I was trying to say is that the great of this game know how to get it done. And if you look at their swings, their heads are still like crazy until impact. I really think that simple keys like that have more weight than putting so much emphasis on wrist cock, bending knees, ect.

R35

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
When I'm hitting the ball poorly I don't think I'm moving my head so much as looking away too soon. I've been trying to make certain that I see the spot where the ball was before I look up.

I try to limit my thoughts to 'head down & hit it', when I'm working on this. It's taken me quite awhile to convince myself that simple is better but I'm coming around.

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
grazo said:
Have you heard how Retief learnt to keep his head still?

Apparently his dad was quite the taskmaster and made a contraption that young Retief would strap to his head that would prevent him from turning his head at all throughout the swing...

If you look at Retief now he barely moves his head... I'd hate my dad for life for that one though...

BTW, keeping my head still does not work for me, because I find it makes me keep all my weight on the left side going back - a classic reverse pivot move.
This would indicate that you have your head set too far forward at address. I venture a guess that you move your head back during the backswing (duh...), and are moving it back to where it should actually be at address.

The problem with moving the head around during the swing is multifold. (A)Your head is heavy. It'll pull your body around with it. (B)Moving the head also changes the plane of your swing. You don't want to do this, as it introduces variables into the swing. (C)Per above, you don't want to rely on in-swing adjustments and compensations to make good contact.

One should keep their head steady throughout the swing. Grazo, I would personally take care of anything at address that keeps me from doing so. But that's JMHO. Take care and hit 'em straight.

S

shooter

I too have learned a lot from bobby jones, youre right, he has probably the greatest takeaway Ive ever seen.

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
My tought process is keeping your head centered, which is more simple to imagine than keeping your head still.

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Loop said:
My tought process is keeping your head centered, which is more simple to imagine than keeping your head still.

I like it.

I sorta make a few practice swings thinking that my arms, shoulders and club rotate around my head until impact. Keeps me centered and still.

R35

🔥 Latest posts