• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Swing Mechanics and Power

AaA

Feb 22, 2005
I was wondering if you guys have any advice or pointers or drills that will help me hold that precious "angle" a bit longer. I'm talking about not unleashing your swing too early. I guess this would be casting the club.
When I look at frame by frame analysis of pro golfers with their drivers, the club doesn't uncoil until very late in the swing and thus all that power is generated. Like many others, I guess I have a tendency to throw my club at the ball rather than sweep it through. I've hit some great long drives before but I feel like I really have to work for it. Meaning, I have to swing harder, which will generally result in bad form. When I use my irons (usually 7 and up) I feel like I can take a nice smooth swing and I'll usually get some good distance. But when it comes to the driver and low irons, a nice smooth swing doesn't result in much distance.

So, if anyone has anything to share about this, I'd love to hear it. Thanks everyone!

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Tiger Woods was once asked "So, Tiger, how can I get more distance on my drives" his reply.... "Swing harder". :) I really hold off on my release which results in a very low, penetrating trajectory. The things I concentrate on are to feel the wrist hinge at the top of my swing and then hold it, releasing through imapact. Weight shift seems to play a very important role also. When I get a good weight transfer timed with the clubhead release the results are astounding. The ball goes 200 yds. 15 ft. off the ground, rises to 20-25 feet and carries to 280-290. It hits the ground with a full head of steam, rolling out another 20-30 yards sometimes. I have a tip to work on this either at the range or anwhere you can swing a Driver. Start setup in the postion you want to be in just before impact. Wrists still hinged, most of your weight on the left foot. Now just bring the club back into a 1/2 to 3/4 backswing and then swing. Pull the club head back right at that point just before impact. I use the rubber range tees to do this and it also helps groove my swing path. I do it very fast, back and forth, it builds muscle memory and may even increase swing speed.

OP
A

AaA

Feb 22, 2005
Hey thanks Jayhawk and Dave. I'll check those links out.

Ezra, I appreciate the drill tip. I'll give that a go next time I head out there. So would you say that if I have a high tracjetory, which I do, that would be indicative of releasing too early as I might be swinging too far up on the ball?

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
AaA said:
Hey thanks Jayhawk and Dave. I'll check those links out.

Ezra, I appreciate the drill tip. I'll give that a go next time I head out there. So would you say that if I have a high tracjetory, which I do, that would be indicative of releasing too early as I might be swinging too far up on the ball?

Could be. I know my low trajectory is a product of my release. I have a low trajectory w/my 5w and hybrids also. When I get to my lofted clubs it actually causes a high flying shot (so pretty). The local hero of a few shottalk members, Charles Howell III has a super hinge and holdoff, delofting the club by 3 to 4 degrees. Wow I just had a revelation. The reason I hit an 18* 5w 250yds. and can't hit a 15* 3W to save my life... I am probably delofting the 5 to a 15 or 16 and the 3 to a 12. I think I have found my answer while contemplating your question.

fredcouplesfan

bring da lulz
Jun 4, 2005
The lag you refer to is a result of starting the downswing with your lower body, uncoiling from the lower body is the key to lag and power.

OP
A

AaA

Feb 22, 2005
Hey FredCouples-

In order to promote more of this lag, I understand that the motion to start the downswing is with the lower body, but do you consciously swing the grip end of the club down and toward the target? I think I heard something about this being a good way to get your hands out in front. Just curious...thanks.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Creating lag does NOT have to come from iniating the swing with a move from the lower body,its perfectly possible to time the top and bottom together and get a lot of lag,and power.Look at Stuart Appleby

OP
A

AaA

Feb 22, 2005
Thanks Dave and Ezra. Yeah, I've got a subscription already and a member of the site as well.

I hit the range a couple of hours ago and I started feeling it much more with my irons. I was getting nice hits and good distance. I wasn't swinging to hard but it felt really good. My driver was off today. That was a bit more tricky to handle.

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast

Deep in thought
Sep 6, 2005

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Ravenous Bugblatter Beast said:
If you use a gmail address, it does a good job of dumping it off into spam.

I'm talking about at my house. :) Golf stuff is the least of my e-mail problems. It's all the erectile dysfunction stuff that cracks me up. "Increase your endowment" I once wrote back "Who the hell told you I had a small....."

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
ezra76 said:
Could be. I know my low trajectory is a product of my release. I have a low trajectory w/my 5w and hybrids also. When I get to my lofted clubs it actually causes a high flying shot (so pretty). The local hero of a few shottalk members, Charles Howell III has a super hinge and holdoff, delofting the club by 3 to 4 degrees. Wow I just had a revelation. The reason I hit an 18* 5w 250yds. and can't hit a 15* 3W to save my life... I am probably delofting the 5 to a 15 or 16 and the 3 to a 12. I think I have found my answer while contemplating your question.

When you say de-lofting are you moving the club to the right or the left?
For a right hand swing.

OP
A

AaA

Feb 22, 2005
I think what he means is that his release is late and he probably ends up hitting the club more on the down motion rather than on the up. Or perhaps, less of an upswing than the average person. It's almost as though you're playing the ball further back in your stance due to the late release.

🔥 Latest posts