• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Swing Mechanics and Power

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
AaA said:
I think what he means is that his release is late and he probably ends up hitting the club more on the down motion rather than on the up. Or perhaps, less of an upswing than the average person. It's almost as though you're playing the ball further back in your stance due to the late release.

Very much so. I was looking at a swing sequence of Charles Howell III. That is similar to how I feel at impact with a driver or wood swing. I am not sure how I look but I definitely get a low ball flight and a lot of distance.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Just a quick promo for a really nice spam blocker. I bought one to test, and a month later installed it on all the workstations at my office.

It's called Choice Mail, from digiportal.com

Choice Mail is a permission-based spam blocker. Basically, there are three types of e-mail in CMs world:

E-Mail from trusted sources (like your address book)
E-Mail from unknown sources (a new spam address)
Blocked sources (addresses that fail to reply to a challenge within a specified time period.

CM intercepts all e-mails, immediately forwarding trusted ones to your e-mail client (Outlook, etc.), deleting ones from blocked senders, and issuing an e-mailed challenge to unknown senders: "Who are you, and what do you want?"

If the sender responds, you get a pop-up window asking whether or not you want to approve them. If so, they are added to your list of approved senders. If not, or (and here's the best part) if they fail to respond within a week (or whatever time period you select) they are automatically put in the rejected senders list.

Robot spam mailers never respond, thus they ALL get blocked automatically.

This program is solid gold. The first month it automatically blocked more than 3,000 spams. E-mails I didn't have to do anything about. I just never saw them. I NEVER get spam any more. Period.

The only hitch to it is that sometimes a new sender that you really want to approve won't reply, because they feel it is a bit of an imposition. So you have to go through your "Unknown Senders" list once in a while and manually approve people. It's really not a big deal. The only other problem is when you get an e-mail as an order confirmation. Typically, you don't know what address it will come from, so again, you have to remember to look for the address and manually approve it.

There is a free version available. They also have personal and enterprise editions (which I think I will be migrating to soon.)

I am not trying to sell anything - I am simply an apostle for this program. It has improved my life.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I use a hotmail for some e-mails and 2 yahoos. My business is under yahoo, website and all. The spam is just starting to get to my business email but I have to be careful. I actually pulled a customer out of my spambox last month. Right now I am averaging just under $1000 net per job with 4 to 5 jobs per month so every customer is like gold.

Jeff Gallo

Swing Guru
Aug 26, 2004
TURN!

I cant believe that in a thread about finding more power there has been no mention of turn. If you make more turn in your backswing you will create more power without swinging harder or even having to try and create extra lag which can be a very confusing swing thought. when i want to squeeze a little extra out of the driver i make my stance very slightly wider (this helps me launch the ball a tad higher) and turn back just slightly short of losing my balance at the top of my backswing the ball is no longer where both my eyes are focused, it has drifted slightly into my periferal vision. from there I try to keep my tempo slow and the lag happens on its own. By using more turn instead of swinging harder you can reduce your tendency to rush at the ball and throw the club.

That said I do believe that distance is as much know-how as it is the strength to create speed. So do work on your impact position, just when it comes to creating more speed instead of trying to make the club accelerate as fast as charles howell's in as short a distance as possible try to employ some simple logic. The harder your muscles work the stiffer they get and nobody has said that a more restricted swing will produce more speed. So instead give the club more space to accelerate by using more turn, this way you can create more speed accelerating slower and therefore allow yourself more control as well.

LongGolf

Dec 20, 2008
I was wondering if you guys have any advice or pointers or drills that will help me hold that precious "angle" a bit longer. I'm talking about not unleashing your swing too early. I guess this would be casting the club.
When I look at frame by frame analysis of pro golfers with their drivers, the club doesn't uncoil until very late in the swing and thus all that power is generated. Like many others, I guess I have a tendency to throw my club at the ball rather than sweep it through. I've hit some great long drives before but I feel like I really have to work for it. Meaning, I have to swing harder, which will generally result in bad form. When I use my irons (usually 7 and up) I feel like I can take a nice smooth swing and I'll usually get some good distance. But when it comes to the driver and low irons, a nice smooth swing doesn't result in much distance.

So, if anyone has anything to share about this, I'd love to hear it. Thanks everyone!

To delay your release, there are three good things you can do. 1) increase the swingweight of your clubs 2) increase your wrist ****ing at the top, 3) increase the strength of your pull down, meaning the force your arms exert on your hands to accelerate the system. You might have to work out for this last one.

And see my thread "New swing learning method ."

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
To delay your release, there are three good things you can do. 1) increase the swingweight of your clubs 2) increase your wrist ****ing at the top, 3) increase the strength of your pull down, meaning the force your arms exert on your hands to accelerate the system. You might have to work out for this last one.

And see my thread "New swing learning method ."
You mean the one that is just another heapin' helpin' of

:diespam:

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Really. Come on man. The guy you quoted hasn't visited this board in over 2 years.

Manavs

Bodybuilding Golf Pro
Dec 19, 2008
I was wondering if you guys have any advice or pointers or drills that will help me hold that precious "angle" a bit longer. I'm talking about not unleashing your swing too early. I guess this would be casting the club.
When I look at frame by frame analysis of pro golfers with their drivers, the club doesn't uncoil until very late in the swing and thus all that power is generated. Like many others, I guess I have a tendency to throw my club at the ball rather than sweep it through. I've hit some great long drives before but I feel like I really have to work for it. Meaning, I have to swing harder, which will generally result in bad form. When I use my irons (usually 7 and up) I feel like I can take a nice smooth swing and I'll usually get some good distance. But when it comes to the driver and low irons, a nice smooth swing doesn't result in much distance.

So, if anyone has anything to share about this, I'd love to hear it. Thanks everyone!

the precious angle - ahhhh - i;ll leave my answer like this -

take a look outside of traditional failed instruction for one second and look at
every and any other sport that uses a stick or projectile does a pitcher delay his elbow? does a hitter delay the bat? does a javelin thrower rotate the hips and keep the elbow bent? backetball player shooting a free throw?

this subject is near and dear to my heart and ive been studying the precision of the downswing for the past 15 years.

its really simple, if one is not getting the look they want, obviously they're not doing the downswing correctly. but by all means dont try to do it "later" your just going to run out of time. just do it in the correct direction.

twofast2s

Dec 30, 2006
lot of good comments here.

i constantly look at different types of swings, from mine to pga pros, to seek better swing.

for me, the lag comes from soft wrist/arm w/ good pivot and weight transfer (which have to come from turning or pivoting around my front leg).

my swing changed throughout this year, and at least the swing speed has been increasing and my swing has been more stable and compact (holding my stance and finish).

you can really creat some lag if you think of your arm and club as a whip. almost like slinging your arm/club

Manavs

Bodybuilding Golf Pro
Dec 19, 2008
lot of good comments here.

i constantly look at different types of swings, from mine to pga pros, to seek better swing.

for me, the lag comes from soft wrist/arm w/ good pivot and weight transfer (which have to come from turning or pivoting around my front leg).

my swing changed throughout this year, and at least the swing speed has been increasing and my swing has been more stable and compact (holding my stance and finish).

you can really creat some lag if you think of your arm and club as a whip. almost like slinging your arm/club

lag comes in many different ways and yes lag can be faked - the BEST lag comes from a fierce extension against the shaft. its newtons law.

from the start of ones downswing, the harder the extension - the more the lag (given the correct direction of the extension). the object at rest in this example is the clubhead. (its actually going in the opposite direction with momentum!!!!) - enter the extension/thrust of the downswing, something has to give - creating the lag.

any lack of lag in a golfswing is almost always because of the player intending to get the clubhead into the air thinking it will get the ball into the air.

quite frankly they are 2 completely directions the ball has to go up and forward, the clubhead has to go down and out.:cool:

twofast2s

Dec 30, 2006
lag comes in many different ways and yes lag can be faked - the BEST lag comes from a fierce extension against the shaft. its newtons law.

from the start of ones downswing, the harder the extension - the more the lag (given the correct direction of the extension). the object at rest in this example is the clubhead. (its actually going in the opposite direction with momentum!!!!) - enter the extension/thrust of the downswing, something has to give - creating the lag.

any lack of lag in a golfswing is almost always because of the player intending to get the clubhead into the air thinking it will get the ball into the air.

quite frankly they are 2 completely directions the ball has to go up and forward, the clubhead has to go down and out.:cool:

true, but it's also because they also try to hit it hard. for most of us, when we try to swing hard, our upper body takes over more, usually coming OTT with the wrist releasing early. but if you swing w/ your body, it's easier to time your swing and come from inside. this can be done w/ hard extension against the shaft, but your wrist has to be still supple to create more lag than if you were to actively create lag.

also w/o correct pivot, you won't have clean contact w/ the ball and the lag that you created doesn't really matter anymore.

i don't know if i'm playing w/ better players or not.. but i don't see many players trying to scoop up the ball into the air.

i know i hit down... well sometimes shoveling.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Compare a body-led punch to flicking someone in the head with your wrist.

Knock-out punches are hips, shoulders, then hand. Oftentimes they work in unison, but it's a matter of physics.

Your arms and hands can only move so fast. But if the hips are moving at X speed, and the shoulders are moving at Y speed, the Z speed of your hands, relative to the world around you, is actually Z + X + Y. Here's an analogy-

Imagine you can throw a baseball at 50mph. Now imagine you can do that while you're riding a bicycle 20mph. Now you can get that baseball going 50+20mph. Now imagine you're riding that bicycle 20mph forward on the top of a train that is going 70mph. Now the speed of that baseball is 50+20+70.

Manavs is right about the momentum and inertia. As long as you keep your wrists quiet, the sudden, abrupt, and exponentially accelerating move of the downswing will cause a delay in the movement of the clubhead, because the clubhead is suspended out in space by only the shaft. The force exerted by the body has to travel through the shaft from the grip, and since steel (or graphite moreso) is slightly flexible, and because you allow your wrists to be soft and not rigid, you can create a massive "lag" angle.

Think of having a rope, or phone cord, or anything on the ground, and jerking one end up and down. The energy travels through the length of the rope, but it takes a slight amount of time. Adding in the lever of the wrists, in the golf swing, allows for even more power delay.

The arms and body cannot keep up that acceleration, which is why the clubhead eventually, and naturally, "releases" all that stored up energy. Getting this right is the difference between hitting a 6 iron 160 yards, and 185 yards.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Lag is simply a by product of applying power correctly, its meaningless on its own. Time your swing and apply 100% power you have available, then thats all that matters.

Manavs

Bodybuilding Golf Pro
Dec 19, 2008
true, but it's also because they also try to hit it hard. for most of us, when we try to swing hard, our upper body takes over more, usually coming OTT with the wrist releasing early. but if you swing w/ your body, it's easier to time your swing and come from inside. this can be done w/ hard extension against the shaft, but your wrist has to be still supple to create more lag than if you were to actively create lag.

also w/o correct pivot, you won't have clean contact w/ the ball and the lag that you created doesn't really matter anymore.

i don't know if i'm playing w/ better players or not.. but i don't see many players trying to scoop up the ball into the air.

i know i hit down... well sometimes shoveling.

Twofast2s

Hitting hard has nothing to do with the direction one is hitting in, and what i mean by that is, imagine your driving a car that has loose wheel lugs. the car may go straight at a slow speed but at a high speed it will fall apart. would adding speed REALLY be the problem here? no, it would be the lack of secured wheels. same thing with the golf swing. if your downswing is not 100% on the correct direction, you are stuck playing at one swing speed, cause it can be faked, as soon as you amp up or slow down the problem amplifies and shows itself. a misdiagnosis is you swung too hard.

lets keep it simple - swinging over the top, left wrist breakdown, faulty pivot, etc, can all be fixed by correcting the direction of the downswing.

ps - fyi of the 1400+ golf lessons i gave from march 98 to march 99, every swing was recorded on video - there was only 3 people that had a downward striking impact - 2 of them were professionals and another was the anomalie amatuer - we kept track.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.