• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Swing Movie

clint317

Oct 10, 2005
First time poster here. Started golfing about 6 weeks ago, no previous experience and no one to teach me. Mostly watch slow-mo tournament movies and read a lot, some pointers at range and office.

I've only played two rounds so far, did a lot of range time. Shot 106 on first round and 110 on second. The guys I play with say I shoot like I've had some lessons, thanks guys. I want to be a natural, I love the game.

So I thought I'd post my swing to get some tips from you pros, lots appreciated. My drive could use a lot of work, topping the ball 60% of the time, raised the tee and still topping. I think it's mental. I shoot better when I get discouraged and don't try as hard. Driving about 150 yds when I hit well. Pretty straight but mostly pushing to the right. I'm better on the range and hit straight as an arrow about 200 yds, less pressure I guess. Fairly good at short game, just need to get it to the green in less strokes. This could bring me down into the low 90's. I'll post results of your help. Thanks! Maybe I can shoot in 70's by next year, what do you think.

View my swing movie here (5mb .mov), thanks to my daughter for filming, and no I didn't hit any cars. Use Apple Quicktime viewer to control slow-mo.

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
Hello Clint, and welcome to the board.

It's a nice swing for a beginner.

If you're looking for critics of your swing, you'll find many around here.

For me, every swing is a good swing as long as it's repeatable.

But if you're looking for a pro swing, then here goes.

On the profile, you're setup too far away from the ball. Your hands should be hanging down from your shoulders, or slightly forward.
You're too much crouched. Try feeling more tall and relax.

On the backswing, try turning your back so that your left shoulder reaches your chin.

Start the downswing with your hips.

Try working on those basic things, then cam yourself anew ;)

Wheelerm

GET IN THE HOLE!
Oct 11, 2005
As i said the the other person who wanted there swing done, put a club in between your legs and hold one on your chest and swing untill the are both level, so your shoulder should be lined up with your foot, thats how far yo should swing back too

OP
clint317

clint317

Oct 10, 2005
Thanks for the help. I just finished smacking a few in the back yard. Standing straighter I can still hit the ball so I'll try it on the range tomorrow. I think another problem driving is trying to hit the ball at the bottom of the swing instead of on the up swing. Maybe this will help with skulling. I'll let you know how it goes.

I did cure topping the chip/pitch shot. I think about hitting the ground, not the ball. Hitting the ground at the ball below it. Now 6 out of 10 I divot where I'm supposed to and 3 out of 10 too far behind. But the ball still goes up and where I wanted it to land, pretty much. Practicing distances now, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 yds etc..

Can't wait to hit the range, going to play a weekend round also. I'll post my results and another swing cam this weekend.

Thank you again.

EnglishGolfer

Talks a good game
Oct 3, 2005
Well whatever anyone else says, i'm quite impressed with your swing. I hav taught a few beginners in the past and it rare for them to grasp the basics so swiftly if 6 weeks is all you have been playing for. As you are already adjusting your set up in accordance with Loop's comments I don't want to throw much at you. The distance will come as you become more confident, at present it looks like your weight doesn't transfer to either side which is often due to a huge amount of concentration on keeping your head still but don't worry too much about that for now. As a guide for set up, the end of the club should be approx' a hand span from your groin. Finally, just watch out for starting the down swing with your left shoulder, it's only slight at the moment but from the rear view I got the impression that it might become prevalent the harder you try to hit it.

Glenn70

Aug 15, 2005
I know people that have played for years that don't have a swing that good. Nice job.

Posiview

Sep 3, 2005
Clint, 6 weeks!!!

I've only been golfing for about 9 months and beats my swing hand down.

My 2 cents worth, you do look somewhat uncomfortable in your swing.

Take Loop's advice (I'm going to!!) and you'll be breaking 90 before long!!

EnglishGolfer

Talks a good game
Oct 3, 2005
I just noticed one thing that Loop said that I personally disagree with. Its all good stuff that he mentions with the exception of starting the downswing with the hips. That is how I was first taught to swing by local pros in the 80's as it was a popular method in the 70's era (See Jonny Miller, 70's Tom Watson etc). However, if you look at the more modern greats of the game such as Woods for example, his philosophy is to release all potential muscular energy right at the impact of the ball. By moving the hips at the start of the downswing you have effectively used up their energy before the impact.

No offence meant by this to Loop as at the end of the day it is each to their own, but it is also worth noting that if you are going to use the hips in such a manner then they should be rotated and not slid. What I mean is that if you start the downswing by sliding your hips towards the hole then you just end up with a big reverse "C" which puts a lot of strain on your back (believe me as I'm talking from experience here!), whereas if you just re-rotate them you just have to time it right to gain extra power.

charnockpro

Aug 25, 2005
Great effort

For the short amount of time you have been playing it is good
Some tips

Setup:I agree you are to far away from the ball, you also seem to have your weight on your heels a bit too, so less knee flex relax your neck a bit and when you are set up just have someone lightly push you and if you cant keep your balance it means your are too much on your heels.

Grip: Right hand too strong, left a bit strong as well, so have right hand more on top with "v" pointing between chin and right shoulder,

Backswing: Because of strong grip backswing is dominated by hands and arms, also causing a reverse weight shift, would advise you to cross your arms on your chest and put a golf ball under your right foot and try to feel weight moving into right side more, because of the weight shift problems it causes hand and arms to lift and create a false finish to the backswing, on the backswing i would advise to try to get wider and dont worry if it is nowhere near parallel because your width will create the speed

Downswing: with the club across the line and past parallel you will struggle to get on plane during the downswing and as a preset of a reverse weight shift you will be very much on top of the ball, this shows as through impact you struggle to get on a good line and over balance in the follow through as the position of your right foot shows, you should be up on the toe end and not over balanced.

hope this helps

🔥 Latest posts