• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Swing question

jojosasser

May 14, 2007
Eraser, typically how much are the lesson(s) at GolfTec? I was thinking about checking into it.

As soon as you mentioned the pros' angles I knew you were involved with GolfTec. I've taken 10 of 15 lessons in the plan, and it's certainly an interesting approach to the swing.

OP
SiberianDVM

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
From an athletic starting position, feel "right heel/left toe" at the top, then "left heel/right toe" at the finish.

I'm not sure that I can remember all of that. Getting older, you know. :)

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Eraser, typically how much are the lesson(s) at GolfTec? I was thinking about checking into it.
Depends on the package. I don't remember exactly, but I think I paid about $1000 for 15 lessons. This price included unlimited practice time with the slo-mo camera.

EDIT - I pulled the receipt and it was $645.00 for 10 lessons, and $275.00 for 3 months unlimited practice time. They had a deal where you could do a onetime upgrade to one of the bigger packages for the difference in the package prices. The 15 lesson plan was $895.00, so I paid $250.00 for the additional 5 lessons.

jackerman

Apr 30, 2008
Ya know I have been teaching golf for 15 years and only 2 years at GolfTEC. The approach that GolfTEC uses is not much different than any other top teaching pro's...... Buch Harman, David Ledbetter, Jim Mclean, Hank Haney...ect.. It really just makes it easier to communicate to the student with numbers and visual feedback. As for the chair drill. It is a great drill, but most of the time its creates too much power V at the top... You head can move too far off the ball (backwards). I use a different drill by using a broom stick (right handed golfer) lay inside the right foot match hips shoulders to it for the back-swing. If you are worried about path you should really use a noodle (pool toy float) with a rig of pvc for takeaway on the range as making a full swing will have positive feed back on your muscle memory.

Jeffrey

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Ya know I have been teaching golf for 15 years and only 2 years at GolfTEC. The approach that GolfTEC uses is not much different than any other top teaching pro's...... Buch Harman, David Ledbetter, Jim Mclean, Hank Haney...ect.. It really just makes it easier to communicate to the student with numbers and visual feedback. As for the chair drill. It is a great drill, but most of the time its creates too much power V at the top... You head can move too far off the ball (backwards). I use a different drill by using a broom stick (right handed golfer) lay inside the right foot match hips shoulders to it for the back-swing. If you are worried about path you should really use a noodle (pool toy float) with a rig of pvc for takeaway on the range as making a full swing will have positive feed back on your muscle memory.

Jeffrey
Thanks for the tips, Jeffrey. It's a never-ending battle, and I find more and more as time goes on that a simple "step up and hit the damn ball" approach works best for me. I know that it only woks because I'm allowing "muscle memory" to work. Staying out of my own way, as Rotella says. I like the broomstick drill, since it is a drill that truly mimics the proper motion.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Siberian

Go back to basics. Do NOT view the swing as a backswing and a downswing, its, its a fluid thing, there are always moving pieces, really try and keep that feeling in your head. The word 'transition' doesn't help. That isn't a thing that happens on its own, its something that happens as a result of your flowing parts.

Example, the transition starts from the ground up. Thats it. Don't over complicate it at this stage. An over the top move is very simply a swing that is out of sequence and the correct sequence is hips, shoulders arms, get it out of kilter and you will try and hit to hard and therefore come over it. Don't, ground up to initiate the downswing.

Its one flowing motion, even the hard hitters, as well as the girly swingers.

charnockpro

Aug 25, 2005
I do not know your height dimensions, but some taller players need a little lateral slide before the rotation to help facilitate the arms starting the downswing otherwise there will be timing issues as the taller the player, usually the wider the arc , the further the club has to travel.

If you are of normal height then all the suggestions here are valid.

I worked out in UK money the lessons to be £33 each, good value for what you are getting.

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
I don't know what I can add , but if anyone has any feedback that would be great.

A few days ago I started keeping my right elbow closer to my body on the backswing..RH golfer..I noticed a few differences in my swing.
It makes me rotate my upper body more in the backswing and its easier for the follow through. And my right elbow drops into my right side at impact....My ball striking started being more consistant also.

Its a different swing from what I was doing before..

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
I've been doing several things.

1. Shortened the back swing, but extended my arms more. I'm looking down at the ball over my left shoulder at the top of my swing.
2. Straightened my left wrist, to eliminate cupping.
3. Standing more upright, with more spine tilt. Back straight with my ass stuck out (feels like it anyway).
4. Rotate my spine around my hips, keeping my lower body quiet, just a slight tilt of my left knee toward the ball. Head down and still.
5. Right elbow tucked into my side on the backswing.
6. Finish high.

It's very much a work in progress, but when I get it right, slicing isn't so much of an issue, and I'm getting significantly more club head speed. Hitting Driver and irons well, hybrids and fairways not so much. I've been liking my 4 iron lately.

Last time out, after grooving that swing, the back nine was 46 with misses tending to be long and left. (cost me an easy 4-5 strokes). Next time I'll take less club. 8 iron 135-140, 7 iron 145-150 and mentally shoot for front of green until I get more confidence.

All the A-flex stuff is in the closet and I'm also playing pain free for the first time in well over a year (ankles, knees and elbow all pretty much healed) ...so I've got that going for me, which is nice.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Siberian

Go back to basics. Do NOT view the swing as a backswing and a downswing, its, its a fluid thing, there are always moving pieces, really try and keep that feeling in your head. The word 'transition' doesn't help. That isn't a thing that happens on its own, its something that happens as a result of your flowing parts.

Example, the transition starts from the ground up. Thats it. Don't over complicate it at this stage. An over the top move is very simply a swing that is out of sequence and the correct sequence is hips, shoulders arms, get it out of kilter and you will try and hit to hard and therefore come over it. Don't, ground up to initiate the downswing.

Its one flowing motion, even the hard hitters, as well as the girly swingers.
I wanted to toss a quick "thanks" your way for this one. I took these thoughts to the range today. Focused on keeping connected and swinging at 3/4 speed, trying to feel nothing but one fluid motion from start to finish. I was hitting the ball better than I have in years.

Proper turn around the spine, balance, swing through to a full finish. Felt great.

Now how the heck am I supposed to keep from sending the ball 30 yards over the green? The shorter and smoother I swing, the farther and straighter the ball goes. Stupid game.

🔥 Latest posts