• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Swing question

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
I've refrained from asking swing questions but i was just wandering how you guys can tell when youve made a good full turn at the top of the swing

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I don't break the swing down into parts like that. I keep it more simple.

Harvey Penick wrote that you don't hit a bad ball on your backswing. It's putting the face on the ball that counts.

So, make your turn however you want. Then, just make sure you get your hips through on release and get the face square.

I never understood wh guys broke down their swing when it's really tough to duplicate what you see or hear from someone else. It's just a comfort thing.

Do you think you could hit accurately using John Daly or Chi Chi's backswing?

Just keep it simple. Good grip, smooth swing, square face.

Just my two cents.

R35

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
I agree with this Rock.

It's when I stopped this mechanical stuff that I improved.

Youngun - you have a low handicap don't you? About a 5??

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Gun,

I'm knocking it around the course at about a 4 index. Once in a while i stick in an under par round.

This wouldn't have been possible without practice and forgetting what i read in Golf Magazine. Fundamentals are important, but once you're hitting it well, learn your game and go play.

Sounds like you're on the right track tho. If i can offer advice, it's to make the game simpler, not more difficult.

Try it out. If it doesn't work, seek professional help instead of listening to us goofs. :p

R35

OP
Youngun5

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
i see where your coming from im just fooling around with my swing to see if i could possibly squeeze out a few more yards out of my game, i usually take some of your guys' tips to the range but really i mean i still haven't gotten golf sandals or the nike gloves with the fun cover yet

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Well then, there's your problem.

Go get some sandals. That's the key to a good stroke... :p

R35

OP
Youngun5

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
ah, i see and its been awhile since i've had red lobster that can't be good

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
youngun5 said:
ah, i see and its been awhile since i've had red lobster that can't be good

Tsk, tsk, tsk. You have alot to learn, grasshopper. :)

R35

Jeff Gallo

Swing Guru
Aug 26, 2004
my suggestion is to both make your swing longer and shorter at once.

more turn with less arm motion. Like decreasing resolution and increasing the size of an image. this means fewer small motions and therefore more consistency.

but to really answer your question as my guide i use my eyes.

if i am trying to really pull out a big drive i make my turn untill my head begins to turn awayfrom the ball meaning that I essentially turn as far as i can without losing sight of the golfball.

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
Good posts here. I vouch for them. My first good round in 4ever today, since I tossed the mechanics and thought about feel and target. But to answer your question, Jack says your turn is full when your left shoulder touches the left side of your chin.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
bdcrowe said:
Good posts here. I vouch for them. My first good round in 4ever today, since I tossed the mechanics and thought about feel and target. But to answer your question, Jack says your turn is full when your left shoulder touches the left side of your chin.

Well, if Jill can touch her ass with her nose, i want her number! :D

R35

🔥 Latest posts