• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Swing Speed Radar with Tempo Timer

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
http://www.swingspeedradar.com/ssrwithtempotimer.html
This is a carry over from this thread.
http://www.shottalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5412
Just posting an initial review for this device, I got it in yesterday and have had a chance to play around with it for a little while. It seems to be as advertised. Although my speeds seem lower than what I get off a Vector monitor, after hearing Don's comments in the other thread about the Vector doing an estimate based on ball speed, I tend to believe it may be accurate. My speed on the vector is around 103mph with my driver, and is around 91 on this. I realize by videotaping my swing I release early and this may play a part. I have used the Beltronics model, and if tempo is not something you are concerned with then either the Beltronics or the cheaper model of this would suffice. This unit was $149 USD, the cheaper model is $99 without the tempo timer and the Beltronics model is $129. Althought the Bel model has a few other features with averages and distance estimates that this will not do. So if Swingspeed is your only interest then the Bel model may be a better option.

One of my main interests was the Tempo Monitor, and if that is your interest as well, this is certainly a better option. The Tempo Timer seems right on the money. I also own the Tour Tempo book and use the MP3/CD. My tempo is closely related to 24/8. Based on the Tour Tempo Website that translates to 1.06 seconds. While using the Tour Tempo MP3 for 24/8, I consistantly get a 1.03~1.06 reading on the device. So it should serve me well. It reads every swing, a waggle will not interfere with the reading, it will read MPH or KMPH. Will do Swingspeed in both, Tempo, or both at one time.

As I mentioned the Swingspeed seems low, but I tend to believe it may be accurate. The key point is that it is very consistant. So if it is low, it is still very accurate for my needs, and definately gives me somethign to work with.

Again, this is just an initial review. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. This device also will measure ball speed, although I have not used this function, nor did I buy the protective case that you can find toward the bottom here.
http://www.swingspeedradar.com/swingspeedradar.html

The free DVD that you get if you order from the site is nothing special. It has a few fundamental lessons and drills from Jim McLean and shows how to set up and operate the unit, and some drills that you could probably get from any instructor or on other web links.

Is it worth the money? Definately
If Swingspeed is what you really want, then I can't see paying the extra money and would likely go with the Bel.
If Tempo is something you work on, this is likely the best unit you may find.

Clarendon

Nov 3, 2006
FKA Pa Jayhawk,

Thanks for the info. I recently got one myself and it is great for testing speed.

I would caution you on one aspect: the tempo readings you get are more likely to be good RELATIVE measurements - not ABSOLUTE measurements.

What I mean is that it will tell you whether you are swinging with a faster or slower time based on these measurements but not the absolute length of time of your swing based on Novosel's Tour Tempo technique.

I discovered the same issue with my SUUNTO G6 as I discuss here. http://stronggrip.com/e/e107_plugins/content/content.php?content.9

In fact - and not surprisingly - when I'm attempting to swing at 21/7 my tempo readings on the swing radar regularly show up much slower than they do as measured by video.

This makes total sense because the swing radar won't catch the first few frames of your swing. Look at my swing counts:

http://stronggrip.com/e/page.php?11

And notice how the first few frames hardly show any motion. The radar will miss them.

I very much regret not using the video camera when I first started the tour tempo technique. I found that I was swinging MUCH SLOWER than I thought. Listening to the tones is great but we all need feedback on exactly the ratios of our swing.

The SUUNTO G6 promised to be the holy grail of tempo readings since it is portable and provides instant feedback. Unfortunately, however, it is also only good as a relative measurement tool.

Hope it helps....

Clarendon

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
Clever...<cough>

Clarendon, I generally take a very dim view of first time posters putting up links to sites that they own, operate or have an interest in.

I consider it taking advantage of the membership we have built up over time for the purpose of driving traffic to your site. Spam, in other words.

However, since you were smart enough to incorporate the link in a relevant way I'll let it slide....this time.

</cough>

Clarendon

Nov 3, 2006
Well, my apologies. That wasn't my intention. I'm not sure I know of a better way to answer the question than to show people pictures. I wasted several months struggling with the same issue. Feedback devices are only useful if we collectively understand how they work.

In any case...I don't want you to feel like people are taking advantage of your service and encourage you to delete it if you feel it is inappropriate.

All the best,
Clarendon

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
No problem.

I get this sort of thing all the time..... 1st post + link = bad juju
I have no way of knowing what people's intention are so my cynical nature tends to hold sway. ;)

Welcome aboard.

Clarendon

Nov 3, 2006
I posted the content to which I previously linked as a review.

Nice site and community...thanks for the welcome.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Well, I'm glad to hear Clarendon is not only not a spammer, but also cool.

Remember that dude that blew up because Sling had his way with his post? That was funny.

Back on topic, how much is the Tempo Timer?

OP
P

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Jeff,
I bought if from the linked home site for $149. I've had this for 2 months now, I still use it in the yard or garage (depending on the club) without a ball at least 2-3 times a week to keep my swing in check. It is what I would consider a fantastic training aid to keep my swing in check, and no need to hit golf balls with the device, and see no way I will grow tired of it anytime soon. I agree with Clarendons assesment that you still need an idea how to gauge your actual tempo, like the Tour Tempo CD or Video tape. Just because my tempo is 1.06, does not tell you how much of that is backswing and frontswing. You can still have a 1.06 reading on a fast jerky swing. Although you can judge it pretty well if both your tempo and speed remain consistent. I use both every couple weeks to make sure I stay on track. Then with the device I concentrate on maintaining the reading. For me it is between 1.02 to 1.06.

This thing has seriously helped my tempo, and I have had numerous playing partners coment on how I have slowed down and how well it looks. Most of whom thought this probably would not serve much purpose, I think they have changed their opinion.

I am not much for training aids and such, but this device is worth it's weight in gold for me. It gives you a great oppurtunity to tinker with you swing and see the impact, and will probably provide hours and hours of winter practice in the garage.

Clarendon

Nov 3, 2006
FWIW, my approach to my swing has completely changed since I started the Tour Tempo system. If you want some more info on how it works in practicality I would check out John Novosel Jr's blog. He is the son of the guy who wrote the original book.

The guy is 160 lbs and competes in long-drive contests with guys who look like NFL linebackers. As a result of using his training techniques I added 10 mph to my swing in just 2 weeks.

My biggest regret is that I relied on my Suunto G6 and my ear for tempo feedback instead of video. I'm convinced that the only way to evaluate your tempo is by counting the actual frames. For whatever reason our bodies and minds are not well evolved to give us this type of biomechanical feedback.

When I did look at my frames I instantly discovered that - in complete contradiction to the SUUNTO G6 feedback - that my backswing was waaaaaaay to slow. I know this contradicts the conventional wisdom of "low and slow", but when I recover from a knee injury (hopefully soon) I absolutely plan on working on speeding up my backswing.

(p.s. please don't flame me for posting a link to Tour Tempo...I have nothing whatsoever to do with them!)

OP
P

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
(p.s. please don't flame me for posting a link to Tour Tempo...I have nothing whatsoever to do with them!)
Actually, I think you will find that there alot of users and believers in the Tour Tempo system on this site.

This site is where I actually found out about it, and if you read alot at $15 for the Book and the CD, I am not sure you can go wrong even if you do not use it in time. Novosel certainly has enough information to support his theory.

I can understand Slings initial skepticism on your first post, as you will find on this site that is usually the method Spam appears, links to other sites in a first post, but once it is apparent that was not your purpose, you will find the guys on here pretty easy going. Sling is usually pretty good at giving people the benefit of the doubt. If he were certain you were only spamming the site, it is doubtful you would be able to log in by now. The good thing is that he takes the time to keep the site clean for the members, which is not the case on some sites.

BTW, welcome to the site, if you search around a little you will find some interesting threads about Tour Tempo.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
I have the blue version (no tempo) and it is remarkably accurate. A good swing speed gauge is a must have for any clubmaker/tinkerer.

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
I have the blue version also and have some issues with it.

When I hit wiffle balls with it in my backyard with my driver, my swing speed is 108-110. Sometimes popping to 114.

Then I take it to the range with an actual ball and ball-flight.

Suddenly it is reading 115-123 with 118 being about average. My best wiffle ball swings are the slowest of my range swings.

I guess my only recommendation to use it is at the range with real balls. More of a "hit factor" I guess when you know you'll be able to see the ball-flight.

Also, sometimes I have had it go crazy and most likely pick up ball-speed accidentally. I'll be swinging, 117, 118, 118, 158. What? I hate that. Though at my last range session I think I had it set up better and had much fewer errors.

FWIW.

Members online

No members online now.