• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

swing speed vrs how much distance you get

snwbdry1

Sep 12, 2005
im 6 6 235 (mucular build) been playing since i was 4 anyways i want to know if theres a calculation you can use to find distance by clubhead speed currently my swing speed with a driver is somewhere between 140 and 150 i hit it over 300 but dont know exactly how much further

obagain

Used club guru
Mar 29, 2005
You have other factors. Launch angle, ball speed, ball spin and how close to the sweet spot you hit it..

OP
S

snwbdry1

Sep 12, 2005
well i am a negative handicap so assuming perfect ball contact and i have a 7.5 talor made 300 series driver

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
The winner of the Worlds Longest Driving competition swings at 135,and his winning shot was 350.A few of those guys now tour the world with sponsors playing in national long driving comps,and they all swing at 135.150 is unheard of outside of a guy who is nicknamed 'The Gorilla' (not kidding)

Woods swings at 135 at his best,and Daly the same.

OP
S

snwbdry1

Sep 12, 2005
i have been playing a long time i am one huge mother fer lol ive lifted since i was 14 but added flexebility training im only 18 now and my club is 2 inches extended im also 6 foot 6

OP
S

snwbdry1

Sep 12, 2005
i was at the driving range i had like both golf pros and everyone there watching me play im playing for a small college havent started yet i was gonna go to florida state and play but long story couldnt get loans cause of my parents i am shooting low mid 60s consitently so im hoping ill just get sponsored on tour hopefully

obagain

Used club guru
Mar 29, 2005
What shaft? There is no set formula. If you hit in north carolina where the air is dense you might be 30 yards less than in colorado.

If your swing speed is 150 I would guess you are hitting 325-330.
I would question why a d1 school would not give a scholorship to a guy like you but I have seen stranger things.

OP
S

snwbdry1

Sep 12, 2005
only because i didnt play for highschool i was homeschooled and they refused to watch me play they only went by credentials which its there loss but the school im at there junior college national champions so

obagain

Used club guru
Mar 29, 2005
Don't worry, if you win a few tournies they will take notice.

This is a good time to tell you younger guy's, if you want to get into a d1 school you need to find some usga tournaments to build a resume. I know several d1 coaches and they put much more stock in these tournies than the school tournies.
I know a kid here in texas that won the state championship as a sophmore and contended the next 2 years. He is still only a partial scholorship to a d2 school.

DrBrown

Hack Numero Uno
Sep 2, 2005
In a perfect world (dead solid hit on clubface, ideal shaft, ideal launch, zero wind etc..) your ball speed should be about 1.5 times the swing speed. And as a general rule of thumb if your ball speed is 150mph you should get about 290 yards out of the driver if its shafted correctly. So if you swing 100mph and your ball speed should be around 150mph and you should hit it 290-300 with a perfect shot. This isnt exact sceince and never can be but its a good guestimation usually. I remember Tiger swung 130mph on the radar and his ball speed was 174mph. Since his swing is so fine tuned and close to perfection he wont get as much extra ball speed like we will swinging slower. Of course no matter who you are you can only have so much ball speed off these faces. They are virtually maxed out now with the COR being at its limit.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
First of all - that is an impressive feat (almost unbelieveable) 150 mph.

Secondly - this is none of my business, but this is what message boards are all about... it's like a free soapbox :D. Anyways, I'm a parent, a former teacher, (software engineer now - long story) and what I would consider an intelligent and knowledgeable person.

Unless the circumstances demand it (illness, physical/mental handiaps etc), I wouldn't advise home schooling to anyone. There is just too much interaction that a child/adolescent would miss out on. One such example (which ranks WAY low in my opinion on all the personal development you could get from a public or private school) is golf. Shooting in the low 60's with that kind of power at that age would have gotten you a free ride at a D1 school almost certainly.

Anyways - parents know best though, so I'm sure they knew what they were doing...

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Yes,its easy to be sceptical,low sixties regularly at 18,150mph club speed,its not easy to take these things seriously over the web.This has all the hallmarks of a troll.

OP
S

snwbdry1

Sep 12, 2005
lol you guys want pictures i dont know how to post them but if you tell me how ill post em

Fuzzifus

Jun 12, 2005
It isn'tthat we dont believe you are 6'6 or 235, just that a 150 mph swing speed is unaproachable. Can you take a picture of a 150 mph swing, is there a speedometer we can see on the club.......

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
Do you yell "PPPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW" everytime you hit the ball?

Just curious.

🔥 Latest posts