• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Swing Speed

Texan

Mar 3, 2006
I swing about 85-90 as well and hit about 240. 1 thing that a teacher told me was that if you narrow your stance, it creates a smaller axis, thus creating more room for the club to go around your body and creating more clubhead speed. The exchange is of course, is less balance on the follow through but if you keep your swing under control, you will keep your balance.

FKA19

winter ho'in
May 21, 2006
why am i so different? lol
i hit my 7i 165 but my driver 260. people are hitting 280 with 150 7irons .. :s

longshot

I hear voices
Apr 3, 2005
I now try to manage my game we have a few nasty driving holes ob only 15yrds right of the tee that sort of thing.Keep it in play is the best policy
So i play a 4 iron on a 400yrd hole i am only left with 170 in or there abouts and i dont miss by a lot from that distance maybe 10yrds at most, but 170 is a gentle 8 or hard 9 for me.I had my swing speed done my golf smiths, driver 116 and iron 96 although i have slowed it down a bit since then.I think distance is ok but not the end all and be all driving a ball 60yrds past your opponant in match play is great and can really get to them.But playing off 5 i cant make mistakes i just dont get much chance to recover.We have a 570 par 5 uphill with the wind behind last weekend i reached it in two with a driver and a 5 iron but i would not try that in a competition.Yes i hit a long ball and its great for the other players to stand there and go (wow) but 25% of the time when i go for it
its a poor shot well what i consider a poor shot.What i am sayin is swing speed is great for judging what shaft you need, but dont worry to much about how far you hit the ball what goes on the card is what counts regardless how you get that score.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
19handicap said:
why am i so different? lol
i hit my 7i 165 but my driver 260. people are hitting 280 with 150 7irons .. :s

What you think is a 7-iron is probably lofted like a 6-iron. Manufacturers these days are de-lofting irons to give players the illusion that the club is somehow "longer". And some of the new game-improvement irons are "longer". Hollow heads can produce a trampoline effect, much the same as hollow metal drivers do.

Your driver shaft is probably fairly stiff. A more flexible shaft might gain you 20 yards or more. Or maybe you have a very forgiving driver and aren't hitting it on the "sweetspot".

🔥 Latest posts